Skip to content

Creating override files using the Toolset

Hi - sorry if this is a stupid question! I am trying to fix some files and thought I could do that using the Toolset but can't figure out how to save it once I've made the changes.

For example, the standard Badger creature file (NW_BADGER) has a DEX of 7 instead of 17, which I'm sure is a typo. So I can go into the Toolset, find the file in the Paint Creatures section, Edit Copy and make the change and then save it. I tried Export on my new file and it is an ERF file. I tried placing this in the \override\ folder but it seems to have no effect. I am thinking I need to export it as a CRE file but not sure how to do that?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    The game ships with nwhak.exe, which lets you import / export files to / from .erf .hak and .mod.

Export the .utc from the erf to override.

You'll then need to rename the .utc to the original name (because the toolset forced you to give your copy a new name).

Otherwise it won't override the official version.

Override is fine for personal amusement, but, if you're thinking of publishing to others, there are better ways.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    P.S. When the module is open in the toolset, folder \module\temp0 contains all its files, so you can just copy the .utc from there to override if that's easier.
  • WuKongWuKong Member Posts: 6
    Thank you Proleric!