Skip to content

My characters keep getting stuck on each other

Never noticed it this badly when i played a couple of years ago. Did something happen or am i misremembering?? This is kinda starting to get on my nerves, i mean the pathfinding was always atrocious but it feels a lot worse now for some reason.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    They've tinkered with the pathfinding a few times, but this particular issue has been consistent in both 2.5 and 2.6, at least. The collision avoidance routine isn't robust enough, as characters "correct" their paths without taking into account each other's corrections and end up going to the same spot. Two or more characters end up in the same place with overlapping selection circles, all trying to move but none able to.

It's less of a problem in SoD and BG2EE because the dungeons are less cramped, but the underlying issue is still there.

You can generally unstick the characters by issuing a group "stop" command and then moving them one at a time. This is an annoyance that slows you down, not something that locks you out permanently.
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    i play with debug enabled so i oftentimes just teleport them in place to unstick them when it gets really bad lol
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It's indeed awful. I have to manually move the two or sometimes up to four characters to opposite sides to unclog them. That does solve it.
    Great in mid battle...
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    This is ridiculous. Beamdog somehow managed to make the game worse in many respects. What was only an occasional problem in the original versions, is now happening every few minutes. You had one job, guys...
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 331
    I personally can’t wait till they get this particular thing fu*king fixed! They should have this prioritized hot fix. Really ridiculous. I guess 2.6 is supposed to fix this but only consoles and PC?
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    One time Minsc did that to me, i backstabbed him so hard he turn to manure.

Good riddance !
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @BardsSuck_ watch your back, Boo the avenger is coming to stab you ;):D
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Just a note on PC play, but you can get around just about any pathing or "stuck" issue by simply stopping everyone else in your party and not moving anyone else. Even if in combat. So long as a character (or summon) has no orders, the game will allow other characters to literally walk-through or shove aside characters without orders.

Obviously you have to set the AI to off to be able to do this, while in combat. But it's a very simple kind of trick and gets around all of the pathfinding shortcomings imo. I hope I explained it well. So even if you're in a cramped hallway in combat or whatever, and need to get your tanky characters to the other side of your party, you just freeze everyone they might need to walk through, and let your one character move through or push aside the stopped characters.

Just general advice for anyone who comes and has this issue.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Just a note on PC play, but you can get around just about any pathing or "stuck" issue by simply stopping everyone else in your party and not moving anyone else.

The exceptions come when it's not just party members involved. And there's a clear worst area for this - Abazigal's lair in ToB.
    - When Draconis transforms, his selection circle gets much better and usually overlaps anyone that was in melee with him. Which means they're unable to retreat and have to stay in melee, against one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. You're not getting out until he's dead or you are. Ouch.
    - In the eyeball cave, the "Vigilant" monsters are non-hostile, with scripting that tells them to move to a party member they can see then run away when they get too close. But because scripts are only checked so often, they sometimes catch up with their target and end up in the exact same space, stuck. You can get out of this one by killing the Vigilant, of course ... but that means force-attacking an enemy that's right on top of someone you don't want to attack. Easier said than done.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    This behavior of "stuck on top of each other" had negative influence on commands used in game or mods, as well. There is one that "moves/teleports" an NPC to another character ("MoveGlobalObject"). It can be used to let someone spawn right to the PC etc. - Now there are instances where the NPC is spawned right inside the PC. Imoen4Ever uses this to get Imoen back to the group, and once I thought the script didn't work but it did, Imoen was back but she was on top of the PC. This is really hilarious, as it flat out breaks a valid action. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be every time.
    The second thing is the "two quest characters are on top of each other inside an area" bug if they are spawned at the same coordinates. Without this behavior, they would have been moved a little away from each other. With this, you only see one of them and players report the other one missing - or if they know the other one is there, there is no way to interact with them.
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 53
    It really is kind of embarrassing that the enhanced editions have been out for so long and yet there are still so many problems with them.