Skip to content

iPad or Mac version?

ValheruValheru Member Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in Mac OS X (Archive)
Ok - a real quandary here - get BG for the Mac Book retina or the iPad .. ?

Im thinking its probably gonna be the MacBook as it has a bit more horse power and more resolution options. However I have a sneaky feeling that the iPad touch interface will work really well with BG ..

Any thoughts ..

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    That's a tough choice. If you're a Mac user, though, it goes without saying that you're rolling in money and you can buy both. ;)

More seriously: My personal preference is for the iPad. I've played this game on different desktops and that's great.

But the idea of playing it on an iPad? That makes my nerd out in an OH MY GOD THAT'LL BE SO COOL kind of way.

I can lie down on my couch and play Baldur's Gate. I can run Cloakwood Mines over lunch. I can explore the Gnoll Fortress while I'm waiting for friends at a bar downtown. I can gain half a dozen levels while flying from NY to LA.

Both the Mac Book and the iPad give you portability, but from a gaming perspective, I think the iPad gets the edge in terms of UI and form factor.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    Both. With iCloud support you can move between both machines seamlessly. Plus if you get a desktop in the future then you will have 3 options to play on. Me, iMac at home, iPad on the go and on the couch, and macbook air in other situations.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I agree with Risingsun.
    I pre-ordered BG-EE for pc, and intend to buy it the moment it's released on the app store for my iPad too.
    The price is so ridiculously low, that it's still an absolute bargain IMO.
  • ValheruValheru Member Posts: 8
    Thanks - excellent comments.

Makes me think iPad initially - as it could bring a really interesting dimension to the game. Though eventually I will have to get a version for the MacBook!

Must admit although I love BG1 - I am really looking forward to BG2 - IMO easily the best game ever made!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Since I already have a cobbled together version of BG working under OSX on my laptop, I'll be gunning for the ipad version for my ipad 3 first.

Since I already have a cobbled together version of BG working under OSX on my laptop, I'll be gunning for the ipad version for my ipad 3 first.

After the delay was announced, I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought the GOG version of BG and BG2.

Spend several frustrating hours figuring out which version of Tutu would work best, finding the widescreen mod, researching what else was needed, and finally installed everything.
    Failed miserable,game crashed.
    Researched again, tried again, installing in a different order. Spend a lot of time trying to find a suitable resolution to use with the widescreen mod.
    After a lot of trial and tribulations, I finally managed to get the game up and running, and am campaigning with a Warrior of a pure heart. Although he does look the other way as Imoen robs everything she can get her hands on...

I'm not canceling my preorder with Beamdog though, as I want a hassle free installation in the future, and I want to play at high resolution without it looking like I'm sitting in a ballon several hundred feet of the ground. :-)

But the GOG BG edition with Tuto will tie me over until November, and I'll get a bit of practice in, as I want to try one of the kits from BG:EE, and try some other NPC's.
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    If I bought BG:EE on iMac AND iPad and started a game on iMac with Neera could I continue my game on iPad over the cloud? Or would I need to purchase Neera again?

@Brude I'm just using Neera as an example I know you hate her chaotic manor

If I bought BG:EE on iMac AND iPad and started a game on iMac with Neera could I continue my game on iPad over the cloud? Or would I need to purchase Neera again?

@Brude I'm just using Neera as an example I know you hate her chaotic manor

If you buy the iMac edition you don't pay extra for any NPC's, as you buy the whole package.
    On the iPad version, you buy the "barebone" BG:EE, the original adventure for half price, with the option of buying the additional NPC's for $10 more.

So you would need to buy the NPC's for the iPad, to be able to continue a game with any new NPC's going from Mac to iPad.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @CyricSpawn @Bytebrain

Actually, no. The Mac version comes complete with all the available DLC content at launch as stated by Bytebrain. The IPad doesn't BUT it supports the new content you unlocked on the Mac version. So, if you get Neera playing the Mac version, for instance, she'll work normally on the IPad even if you don't buy her there.

The contrary is not true, though. If you go to any of the new NPCs location in your IPad and do not have the DLCs, they will just not be in the area and you'll have to revisit the location in the Mac version of the game in order to get them.

If it worked any other way, it would completely brake multiplayer.

• CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    Cool dropping 30 is ok but having to re-buy all the extras on iPad would upset me somewhat.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Since I already have a cobbled together version of BG working under OSX on my laptop,

You are very damn clever. Idk how you did that. I'm doing that, but I'm running Boot Camp, so it doesn't count.
    mlnevese said:

@CyricSpawn @Bytebrain

Actually, no. The Mac version comes complete with all the available DLC content at launch as stated by Bytebrain. The IPad doesn't BUT it supports the new content you unlocked on the Mac version. So, if you get Neera playing the Mac version, for instance, she'll work normally on the IPad even if you don't buy her there.

The contrary is not true, though. If you go to any of the new NPCs location in your IPad and do not have the DLCs, they will just not be in the area and you'll have to revisit the location in the Mac version of the game in order to get them.

If it worked any other way, it would completely brake multiplayer.

Ahh. I stand corrected then. :-)
    I thought it only applied if I was playing a multiplayer game, not if I were to continue a game via iCloud.
    No matter to me, I'm gonna buy the complete game for both my pc and iPad. :-)
    Would buy it for the Mac too, if I owned one.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Both.
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    I'm going to buy a new iPad mini and then get the iPad version at launch. As soon as cloud saving is confirmed, I will buy the desktop version as well!