Skip to content

I hate sequels that reset the characters

I’ve been on a Baldur’s Gate kick lately and was hoping to take a custom party from “Nestled atop the cliffs” through to the threshold of “Divinity’s Gate 3”

I’ve played the BG series for decades at this point, so I’m fully aware that what I’m about to ask kinda invalidates some of the early content for Shadows of Amn, but see title.

I’ve installed EE Keeper and I was hoping to be able to manually restore my party’s gear from the final save of SoD, and pretend that Irenicus had stashed it all somewhere in his dungeon. The problem, of course, is that a bunch of items from BG1 and SoD don’t exist or have their effects changed for BG2.

So: Is there any way for me to add items from BG1 & SoD to BG2?

I was hoping that the “Export Item” button in EE Keeper was the functionality I was looking for, but no matter what I do I get an error message that says file cannot be created.

Am I just SoL and required to make do with items that are close enough?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There is, but it's a significant modding task; you have to add not only the raw ITM file but also its name and description text. It's not really any easier than creating new items from scratch.

You could try looking for a mod that incorporates SoD items into BG2EE.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited March 2023
    I have mixed feelings on the issue. Rebuilding and equipping can be fun, but the mechanism for stripping away a characters "stuff" is beyond cliché.
    So one thing I occasionally do, just be equally cheesy (Aha! take THAT Bioware...) is, a couple days into SoA, use EEKeeper to return my money.
    Seriously, its not like you were walking around town with 300000 gold in your pocket. It was obviously stashed somewhere, with someone (SoD has fun with this part of the story). But I figure after arriving in Amn I hired a messenger to run of to BG with strict orders on where my money was to be deposited. And I suddenly have a chunk of money again early in the game.
    Honestly, I haven't done this for a while. Since SoD came out, the terms of you leaving BG seem a lot less advantageous. Like anything left behind really is unavailable to you, forever. And its not like you really need money in the long run, treasure is plentiful. But I have had fun with it, especially for maximum power run throughs. Take your 8th level characters for an almost unlimited shopping run to the Adventurer's Mart. Have fun...
    Post edited by atcDave on