Skip to content

Help with editing existing NPC dialogue

Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
edited March 2023 in General Modding
I would like to write a mod to reduce inconsistency in Baldur's Gate SOD characterisation of NPCs and bring it in line with BG1 NPC Project. This is mainly driven by if you have a romance with a certain NPC not having that experience be overwritten by incompatible statements in Siege of Dragonspear.

I'm not really looking to write extensive new content, but to edit some of the existing content that take break the spell of the game.

An example of what I'd like to do is make light edits to Dynaheir's lines. For example in below youtube clip at 11:24 I would simply cut ", and is the reason I still linger here" so that if you had been romancing her it would make sense.

https://youtu.be/t_MVgrKXzCE?t=680

If I found that I master this sort of change then I would be tempted to maybe write some additional dialogue options into existing dialogue trees that allow the PC to express their feelings. This is something I am thinking about for BG2 also from perspective of remorse.

I'm no writer and I don't wish to create a lot of additional content, but to change some of the existing options and responses to make them acknowledge past events.

Hope that makes sense. I'm interested to know what sort of skills I would need in Weidu to do something like this. I can't hope to pick-up all the skills at once so having a specific goal like this might help me learn better. Again this is I guess something I would make for my own game and to focus on the inconsistencies that irritate me - but if people cared I would make it available.

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    So I got Near Infinity. I've isolated dialogue I think is troublesome and wav files. Whats the best way to go about changing. Can I create a weidu that would alter the text itself in existing state/reference or do I need to creates new states. Id prefer to keep this as simple as possible.

The next step after I do this would be to change PC replies and add PC replies that go back to other existing states in dialogue tree. Ie a bit of pointless roleplay flavour. Once I figure that out I might add bridging state that reacts to a statement before continuing conversation flow.

If anyone has advice or a tutorial/template it would be appreciated on changing existing dialogue. Id like to do this a proper way but Im tempted to just change it for my own personal game in Near Infinity if I cant figure it out.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I answered at the G3 thread.