Skip to content

New soundsystem and EAX

DeleDele Member Posts: 9
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
OpenAL got implemented in the new patch, is there a possibility of implementing EAX-style effects back into the game too without having an soundblaster card? like echo in caves etc.

Thanks.
FlashburnDinosvfn

Comments

• NebrewielNebrewiel Member Posts: 7
    Yes please Beadog, please do this! That is extremely important... because if that is removed, the game looses tons of character. Graphics aren't everything... Sound is extremely important in games, and NWN had very good sound for it's time. With old NWN we could simply use a program called "Universal ALchemy" and enviromental effects were working. With EE we can't activate these effects at all? That is a huge downgrade compared to original 15 years old game.
    svfn
  • svfnsvfn Member Posts: 7
    yes please leave it as a option, or let it be enabled in an .ini config. let these who want to use it be able to use it like in the classic versions.

it's a shame to keep downgrading game audio in your remasters. for some it's a dealbreaker because it just sounds different without it if you've played with it in the classic versions.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I get a ton of crackling, is that because of openal?
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Yes, the ambient sound FX really suffer as a result and sound even worse. An overhaul of how this stuff is done may be in order.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2018
    I noticed that they recently removed the EAX option (which was greyed out previously) from the settings menu.

Now there seems to be an odd 2D-3D slider in its place, which I really cant wrap my head around.
    I really wish they implemented the old echo-effects in caves and tunnels. It was very immersive.
    This is supposed to be the Enhanced Edition after all...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Bit of a necro on my part—apologies for that—but I support this request 100%.

OpenAL Soft (which is being used for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition) is fully capable of recreating the game's original EAX effects and 3D positional audio via EFX and HRTF respectively.

It makes no sense for the enhanced version of the game to sound worse than the original. Has anybody submitted a feature request on Trello for this?

(EFX could be used in the enhanced BGs too; I wrote a Redmine ticket for it.)
    dTdAllanon81
  • ArchMage_FXArchMage_FX Member Posts: 5
    Hemmm that sucks to hear seeing as i have like three "Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gold / FULL EAX SUPPORT" in stock and of corse one of them is in my main game system atm as well something like $150 head phones so ya sound matters and its not just about eye candy.

That and win7 dousen't like that sound card or something driver wise
    "tnx crative for crap driver support over the years"
    and or the drivers you get are so gimped its sad ..........

So ill 2nd what AndreaColombo is saying, sad though that in this day and age so meny gamers will go all in for mobo/cpu/video card then go "its ok" to have $5 onboard junk sound 8 channal vomit and the sound hardware is 5% hardware 95% emulation aka what they try and claim is a driver, guess you need to give the 8 core cpus something to do or something, sadly the sound that comes out vs a true top of the line sound card still sounds like vomit for my ears imho but maybe thats just me.

My self im not part of that camp nor will i ever be cus like buddy was saying sound qualty matters for some of us that and the old music in clasic nwn could use a good one up to some as well, kind of get sick of it after a wile when you bin playing the game online since the game came out kind of thing
    AndreaColombo
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    Any updates on EAX or the like?
    I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx that can do EAX on the original version of the game... and it has Windows 10 drivers.

I know it's a super small population, but enabling EAX for hardware like mine shouldn't be ultra hard. Sure enabling it for everyone would be better, but in the meantime, it would be nice to have the other half of the game presentation back.
  • JuzamJuzam Member Posts: 3
    Nah. It's 2023 and still no EAX implementation. Forcing politically correct agendas written by absolutely insane people are more important it seems.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Since most motherboards for PCs come with built-in sound circuitry and, I could be wrong, but I don't think eax ever worked on mobile. Add to that, it appears that microsoft insists for several versions of windows that sound control must be done in software, it would appear that EAX is a dead duck.

TR
    With Creative ALchemy the version of Windows is not an issue. In fact, they worked really hard to remove EAX from the game, yet the original game had like 7 different sound engines you could pick (If your hardware enabled it). It would probably have been less effort for them to just make, what they did force on us, as another option.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    OpenAL Soft can work on any platform including mobile. I use it for an Android app and get EAX and hrtf for headphones. Seems logical that it could be done for NWN:EE.
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    I use it for an Android app and get EAX and hrtf for headphones

I have some serious doubts about that. At least in the context of this thread, since we're talking about the hardware EAX from Creative Labs.

Minimum request: Re-enable the old EAX options for those that still have hardware for it.
    Optimum request: Rewrite the game to run all EAX through OpenAL.

I'll say it again. We really are missing half of the game presentation by not having EAX as an option.
    Well here's the website if anybody is unsure or is interested.
    https://www.openal-soft.org/
  • NebrewielNebrewiel Member Posts: 7
    Not only we're waiting for over 5 years for the return of EAX-like effects in NWN.. we're waiting for over 10 years for the return of EAX-like effects in BG2. It is absolutely insane to remove such an immersive feature and just pretend like it never existed.
    Wow didn't realize BG2 had eax too.
  • kaylestoiniskaylestoinis Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2023
    I really wish they implemented the old echo-effects in caves and tunnels. It was very immersive.
    teatv apk
    download apk
    Post edited by kaylestoinis on