Skip to content

Blur Vs Mirror Image

I use these as buffs in unison with any arcane caster that has them…..But If you could only pick one? Which one and why?

Comments

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 481
    Mirror Images, because it also protects against critical hits.
  • MyceniusMycenius Member Posts: 28
    Yep Mirror Image! Blur is great if you are a fighter/mage or similar who is often in the front line fighting hand-to-hand; but if primarily a caster and not being meleé'd every fight MI is better regardless... plus I think it lasts longer too IIRC.

If you are a Sorcerer you are gonna take MI every time and not Blur to get the most bang for buck for a defensive buff spell slot...
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I mostly agree with mirror image, with a couple qualifications. I think Blur lasts longer? At the very least, Blur doesn’t degrade with use. So a big battle may exhaust your Mirror Image in a round or two, while Blur is as good as new for its whole duration. Really, use both.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Yes, Blur lasts longer than Mirror Image. Two rounds per level instead of one.

Then there are specific quirks of how the protection works ...

Want protection against a spider bite poisoning you? Mirror Image all the way. As long as even one image is active, you can't be poisoned.
    Want protection against a web trap immobilizing you for the spider attacks? Blur. Because Mirror Image doesn't help at all against that.
    I didn't know the Blur vs. web thing @jmerry - good to know!

Yes absolutely both have pros and cons and ideally you want both - especially in mid-game levels. As you say different scenarios mean different option is better.

But if you had to pick only one I would still err towards MI - as it's probably a little more generally useful.

...although I can't recall if Blur gets affected by debuffs as often as MI does - so Blur may be better in that respect (but again it's the are you in meleé a lot or not argument as Blur has less benefits outside meleé IMO)...
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited May 2023
    Blur boosts saving throws - that's all I meant there. No perfect protection, just a better chance to make your save. And at +1, that's a pretty small bonus.

As for how they behave against enemies trying to strip them - both Blur and Mirror Image have the "illusionary protections" type alongside the illusion school. Everything that removes one will also remove the other. Including Oracle, despite a description that mentions Mirror Image but not Blur.
    B)