Skip to content

Crossmods question

Curian55Curian55 Member Posts: 16
edited April 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
Post edited by Curian55 on

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    edited April 2023
    I'm not sure you read how it works here: the crossmod content is created along with other authors, so when I for example want to write crossmod talks with jmaeq's mod, I send her a question if that's okay with her, and does she want to write her NPC's lines or does she want to get the talks and just approve / adjust them. After all, these are words spoken by someone else's character and while I created my own NPC, it doesn't mean I can get jmaeq's NPCs tone correctly.

And then, there is the fact you want to include those talks in your mod: that means they will be installed ONLY the other mod is already installed and when your mod detects the other NPC.

Crossmod is a bit more delicate subject. There were already authors that wrote talks without even contacting the authors of the other mods and the talks that were produced were out of character and could be considered in conflict with the NPCs other talks/beliefs.

Such talks are most usually covered by G3 Crossmod Banter Pack and... it's kinda for a reason. First of all, if you want to add anything to the mod, both authors need to approve the content. Secondly, the mod order stops being a problem, because G3 Crossmod Banter Pack is always installed after all the NPCs. ( link to the mod: https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/crossmod/ )

So it's not just what you "chose", but also the matter of the other author ;) And not only when you want to add talks to G3 Crossmod Banter Pack, but also when you write any NPC-NPC crossmod at all. And it works the same way the other way back: you can expect some other modder won't wake up one day and start writing talks for your NPC and how Dusk likes to be protected by, dunno, Cyric and stung by bumblebees, while it may not actually be true (and somehow I doubt it is).

Let me also add... perhaps check out some mods first, and then decide who you think could have some talks with your NPCs and then talk to the authors? There are hundreds of mods and quite a number of companion mods, they are handled in damn many ways, they include different kind of content... friendship, romances, quests... try them those characters out, then, along with the other author, think what they could talk about, or offer something to those authors, some talks, but please, get to know these mods first.

BTW, you do not need my mod (Wilson Chronicles) to be installed to add banter talks for Wilson. I wrote a code for my other mods and AFAIK some other modders also use it: it adds talks to Wilson's existing banter file AND if such file does not exist, the code creates it first and link those files to original Wilson. That code is in my Dvaradime, Fhaugy, Khalid and my other mods.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on