Skip to content

[MOD] Test Your Mettle!

1235»

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited November 2022
    barker262 wrote: »
    Dear Argent77,
    I'm definately not comprehending something about the maze. I gather that I'm looking for room 1 - 1, and as suggested I've been mapping my way through. The map seems to be useless as the whole thing resets with different entry points etc if I exit. 2. I've managed to get to room 1-2 and 2-1, both had no path to room 1-1.
    Any advice? I did find a room at 3-1 with some sort of portal, But monsters just kept respawning and nothing else could be interacted with.

Not quite. The whole maze is randomized, and so are the locations of the special rooms you have to find. Since a new random maze layout is generated whenever you return to the dungeon entrance, you can't really map it.

There are only some general clues I can provide:
    For the first part of the quest:
    Look for a room entrance on the northern edge of the maze (according to the compass in the dungeon entrance room). This is the x-1 series of rooms.

It appears you have already found it. Just be patient and try to survive the flood of enemies, and you'll find what you're looking for.

For the second part of the quest:
    Look for an entrance somewhere on the eastern edge of the maze (again, according to the compass in the dungeon entrance room). This is the 1-x series of rooms.
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
    Cheers Argent, I staggered back to the x-1 room and the devil within activated as you suggested, thanks very much.
  • SaralainSaralain Member Posts: 8
    Hi Argent. I have finished your mod and enjoyed it very much. Thank you for this very original addon.

I just have one question: how do I exchange the tokens for loot, as some people are saying they have done?
    Saralain wrote: »
    Hi Argent. I have finished your mod and enjoyed it very much. Thank you for this very original addon.

I just have one question: how do I exchange the tokens for loot, as some people are saying they have done?

Thank you.

There is a "console" in the upper corner of the Modron Foyer (where you initially arrived after using the modron cube) that allows you to exchange the tokens for (more or less) useful loot.

You have to place each kind of token into their respective containers (use Tab key to highlight their locations) and activate the device in the corner. The console should provide more details about where to place which token type. The number of tokens placed in the containers determines the worth of the resulting loot.
  • SaralainSaralain Member Posts: 8
    Thank you! I had spotted the containers, but not the console.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 179
    For my first run in 2024, I intend to test it. I'll also give feedback afterwards.

Are there any known incompatibilties? I ask because I think there are at
    the least three other mods that modify planar sphere, off the top of my
    head: the mod where mage stronghold can be used (where that red
    wizard shows up and gives tasks), the extended plane sphere mod,
    where the final boss summons like 5 planetaars (I dislike that one
    because it changes game mechanics, although it has some interesting
    ideas, I liked the lich idea); and I think golem mod also changes
    planar sphere (this one is cool in principle, but I had so many other
    problems with it that I no longer install it, but the idea of building
    golems is great; perhaps someone can fix all the issues in that mod
    one day). Anyway, will soon test it.
    This mod touches the Planar Sphere only very lightly (basically just a single script that is related to the area). I haven't received reports about mod conflicts yet and didn't notice anything myself either.
    It took me a while to figure out a way to navigate through the maze; even
    then it's still a bit confusing.

The thread here contains two pointers to important locations. I was able
    to find the first one accidentally (did not read the webforum until I
    tried on my own). It was fairly straightforward - leftwards.

Unfortunately I was unable to find the other one. From the hint I went
    northwards then eastwards. I never found it. Someone else wrote that
    it actually would be westwards then northwards. I tried that too and did
    not find the second location.

As this mod was not the primary reason for my current run-through - the last
    one before going towards ToB is Neverwinter Nights, which I want to solve
    this time - I had to skip it for now. I'll still give some feedback; some
    will probably be easy to change, other suggestions would take more effort
    so they may not be added.

So, the first boss-type situation I found accidentally, somehow going westwards
    and then seeing that demon summoning things. It was a bit unusual that we can
    not target the demon there. Perhaps some message should be shown once, if
    possible, or mentioned somewhere about some barrier that prevents it, right
    in the room. Or I missed that message - I found it a bit peculiar that an
    enemy boss can summon things but not be targeted at all. Anyway.

The Mordor-constructs in the non-maze part were also extremely unhelpful - after
    I fought down the allies of the demon that summoned things (without being able
    to target him), the leader construct didn't say anything more. I tried all dialogue
    options, but it never gave any hints. It also did not activate any room indicators
    by the way, not sure why not.

I think here it would be helpful, if the party already visited that one leader
    demon once, the construct (at the least their leader, that is the director)
    could say more. Perhaps we can report having found that demon; then the director
    could give some more hints and help.

Right now I have no idea where to find that cubicle-thingy that would help me
    target that summoner thingy. (Note: this became obsolete when I tried it
    again after a few years, after checking the content of the thread here. On
    a first run-through attempt this is super-confusing. Perhaps the director
    could provide more help in general - I mean if he has problems with demons
    PERHAPS he should say a bit more other than be so clueless. If they fight
    the demons surely they'd know a thing or two.)

That's actually why I peeked back at the forum, by the way, to get more
    hints as I was semi-stuck.

(I also think I found another boss type, but that was hard to notice; they
    babble something, right? But they are not bosses, just more chatty
    demons or Erythrites something something. By the way, when I first picked the
    "give up essence" dialogue option, the game actually froze in a cut scene.
    Not sure if that was just a fluke, but since then I did not pick that option
    again, and instead opted to whack-a-doodle the demons down.)

Ulb wrote this back then:

> My main issue with the mod so far is that I just
    > couldn't tell if I am progressing at all.

I think I just encountered the same problem. (Note: to avoid spoiler-territory,
    I actually started my run with this mod installed WITHOUT reading the webforum,
    so I already tested some things before.)

In general I find mazes problematic, including the Watcher's keep one. I tried
    to solve it on my own; totally confusing thing. Then I went to a map-based
    website and it was trivial. I would have never figured that when we go through
    an exit, but try to go back again, the place is totally differen tnow. Pure
    magic.

If there is ever some interest to improve on the mod, perhaps the maze could be
    made a tiny bit easier, like finding some navigational panel or something that
    may indicate which path to go (at the least after we already found the first
    demon boss), or some waypoints or something in rooms (can be super-simple icons
    or anything).

My current strategy is to simply run through randomly; probably better options
    exist, but I haven't found them yet. That option worked for the first boss
    but I never found the second one before throwing in the towel.

I also started the run fairly late now, my party is rather high level, so the
    enemies are not too difficult; only the high level constructs are a bit more
    dangerous due to the lightning bolt or whatever they do. Jan is so squishy ...
    (ok, we could prepare, but when you run through the maze for like 20 minutes,
    you may not pay as much attention anymore).

That the cubicle thingy or whatever it is can be used to be teleported back
    to the entrance could perhaps be made more clear. Without the webforum I
    would not have had any idea about it - actually I tried the other option
    first and it said that this does not work or something. Then I did not
    try any further, as I thought that the cubicle thing can not be used at all
    whatsoever.

One thing that I find positive, by the way, is that the device allows us to
    go back to the main game. This is a problem in other mods that force you to
    solve it all before being able to go back; I had that issue with Neverwinter
    Nights mod. The mod is great, but I don't yet know how to solve all of it
    (this time I'll go through it more slowly, knowing a bit of the area and
    backstory this time); and if I don't solve it I am stuck there (or perhaps
    I am not, if I can get some NPC to bring my party back, but an item to
    go back is nicer to use and have). So it's a hit-and-miss thing, which is why
    I prefer being able to go back (the Barovia mod has a similar problem, but I
    actually found it much, much easier to solve, and I am now fairly efficient
    at solving that one; same with Trials of the Luremaster, which takes longer
    due to numerous fights - but once you know where you have to go, it's very
    easy actually).

Before I forget it: the items that get dropped are a bit confusing. For instance,
    one of the item is supposed to create a magical item, I assume, but clicking and
    using it never seems to do anything. It may be I am missing something, but perhaps
    it can be explained more what this does. (Edit here: the webforum explains it,
    but I am still confused. The first room can be used for it? I have no real idea.
    Perhaps it can be made more clear in the game how to use it.)

Perhaps the leader construct could also add more information pertaining items and
    what not, when the party has such an item in possession. If there is something that
    can be done, of course. Not sure what to do with all these items; the only one
    that I assume is useful is that refresh spells one. Nor do I know how many I'd
    need.

Another suggestion: when a boss is killed or something like that, some progress
    message or event could happen. That can be a simple text effect or something
    that can be observed ... like, "The walls seem to shake momentarily after the
    demon's body falls down lifelessly." Or something like that. Right now I don't
    know if I even have to kill these other demons. (After reading the webforum I
    understand there are only two bosses; initially I thought these Erynes or so
    are also a boss-entity; and one Carnogun demon or whatever is his name.)

The thread here helps quite a bit. I did not know there was a room with bodies,
    for instance - now I can look for that one. (And didn't find that one.)

I just got to the part of rewards:

> The mod provides you also with a trading system where you exchange collectibles,
    > that you can find in the dungeon, into useful items or money.

I see. So the items I dropped and did not pick up, are actually useful. I think
    on a first run it is still confusing though. Perhaps the item when it has a use
    counter, like magical item one, if the party invokes it before the end, some effect
    could be described such as "There is a humming sound in the device, until this
    suddenly ceases, without causing any visible effect." - like depleting it before
    the end. Or not allowing one to push it; I initially thought I should push it.
    Right now we don't get anything for pushing it; I just click on it and the charge
    counter seems gone. That part is confusing. May also help if the director explains
    this better.

> Moreover, I think that a modron character would be too steampunkish for the BG
    > universe. It fits more into the Planescape setting.

Possibly. But there could be some item, like a modron mechanical doll for Jan. Not
    sure what it should do ... perhaps it could heal some damage for Jan specifically
    only. Or have one charge of improved haste per day (also only for Jan specifically).
    This may not be as useful though, since that depends on Jan; I just think it may be
    too useful otherwise. Or it can simply have one daily use or so and increase luck
    by a bit, something like that. Can't think of more effects right now.

Anyway, to come to a TL;DR slowly: I think the most important change may be to
    have the director yield more information. Perhaps automatically activate the
    1-3 or whatever the name was, once the first boss was found, because that option
    never seemed to show up (and I also would have no idea where to look for it
    anyway - these Mordor thingies hate explaining stuff).

Some waypoint would also help, perhaps the central room; or a room adjacent to
    any room with a boss could have the exit type differently. Right now my only
    means is to just run through blindly without ever knowing what's anyway.

Although I don't really like mazes at all, the mod is actually fun. I just wish
    it would be a bit easier to navigate the maze - not saying it should be made
    super-easy, but a bit more streamlined and linear. Perhaps also using the
    rubikon teleport thing to teleport to a few target locations, e. g. outside
    the first boss, to the waypoint - something like that.

(In regards to teleporting to more locations: this could be "unlocked"
    when the party finished, say, twenty rooms in succession or so. So
    it then isn't quite like a teleport, but instead something like
    depleting the maze for some time. A time limit could be used here
    before more demons show up, so perhaps the teleport to a waypoint
    could be activated only once, then again 20 years have to be cleared
    or something like that. That's just an idea, the numbers could be
    adjusted of course; and the director could mention that, as a speculation
    or so)
    Thank you for the detailed feedback.
    So, the first boss-type situation... It was a bit unusual that we can not target the demon there. Perhaps some message should be shown once, if possible, or mentioned somewhere about some barrier that prevents it, right in the room.
    I think the situation in the first boss battle should speak for itself. The boss cannot be targeted by your party and does not target the party himself. The scripting of the battle also doesn't allow you to think about it too long since you are more than busy dealing with the mess the boss is creating. I think adding a clickable region to display hints about the situation would rather distract the player from the battle since the clickable region would occupy space that could otherwise be used for maneuvering in the small chamber. And a one-time message would quickly get lost in the heat of the battle.

About navigating the maze, the nature of the maze makes it difficult to give specific directions since the layout is randomized. It basically comes down to run around the maze, twice, until you find the intended points of interest. The dialogs (of modrons and devils) and journal entries should provide enough clues what to do next. But I'm open to suggestions if something isn't clear enough.
    The Mordron-constructs in the non-maze part were also extremely unhelpful...
    That's intended. They are able to inform you of the current state of the maze, but don't know anything about the details or plans of the intruders. You'll learn more about the situation when you encounter the respective bosses of the maze. Again, I'm open to suggestions if the clues provided by the first boss, the respective journal entries and the description of the items you receive aren't clear enough what to do next.
    I think here it would be helpful, if the party already visited that one leader demon once, the construct (at the least their leader, that is the director) could say more. Perhaps we can report having found that demon; then the director could give some more hints and help.
    Iirc, the modron director does actually react to it. But I'll see if the dialog could be improved somewhat. Currently the director basically confirms only what you should already know.
    (I also think I found another boss type, but that was hard to notice; they babble something, right? But they are not bosses, just more chatty demons or Erythrites something something. By the way, when I first picked the "give up essence" dialogue option, the game actually froze in a cut scene. Not sure if that was just a fluke, but since then I did not pick that option again, and instead opted to whack-a-doodle the demons down.)
    These events are unrelated to the main plot of the mod. There is a (small) chance that some of the more powerful devils in the maze offer you (or Imoen) deals. It's up to you whether to accept them or not (although in Imoen's case she sometimes might have a mind of her own.)
    I've never encountered the cutscene freeze yet. Maybe it's caused by a mod conflict? The cutscene reuses a (meta) spell of the base game which might have been modified by another mod.
    In general I find mazes problematic, including the Watcher's keep one. I tried to solve it on my own; totally confusing thing.
    That's the very nature of mazes. It also doesn't help the case that the Modron Maze is randomized whenever you enter it. ;)
    However, in contrast to the WK maze the Modron maze layout is consistent as long as you are in the maze (i.e. entering the same exit always leads to the same room.) The compass found in each room should also help you navigating the maze (provided you've activated it.)
    Before I forget it: the items that get dropped are a bit confusing. For instance, one of the item is supposed to create a magical item, I assume, but clicking and using it never seems to do anything. It may be I am missing something, but perhaps it can be explained more what this does.
    That's also explained in detail by the modron director if you ask about it. When you use the recycler for the items the first time you'll also receive a scroll that provides even more instructions. The recycling device should be easily noticeable since it emits a pulsating glow.
    Perhaps the leader construct could also add more information pertaining items and what not, when the party has such an item in possession. If there is something that can be done, of course. Not sure what to do with all these items; the only one that I assume is useful is that refresh spells one. Nor do I know how many I'd need.
    Quest-related items should be pretty clear from their item description. Everything else is optional stuff that has their own specific use but can be ignored if you don't care about it.
    I think the most important change may be to have the director yield more information. Perhaps automatically activate the 1-3 or whatever the name was
    I agree that enabling the navigation compass for the maze is somewhat counterintuitive since you actually have to return to the director after visiting a couple of maze rooms already. (You're provided a vague hint about it, but that can be easily missable in the heat of the battle.)
    Some waypoint would also help, perhaps the central room; or a room adjacent to any room with a boss could have the exit type differently.
    That would be difficult to realize because of the random nature of the maze. The entry to the boss chambers can by virtually everywhere. Reaching the final boss can be a bit more difficult since the entrance is revealed only when you approach it. I'll see if that can be simplified a bit.
    (In regards to teleporting to more locations: this could be "unlocked" when the party finished, say, twenty rooms in succession or so.
    Because of the random nature of the maze I can't really provide more options to teleport to specific locations within the maze, or they would be meaningless since it doesn't necessarily help you to reach the boss chamber(s) earlier. Btw, you don't have to clear out each room of the maze to proceed further. But it helps if you have to backtrack to earlier rooms because of dead ends.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Thanks for the lengthy feedback.

ps. also to see if you get an e-mail notification
    In my latest run-through I also tried TestYourMettle again. In the previous run I managed to find the most-left portal,
    but could not find the other one. So in this run I wanted to see if I do.

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, when I entered the area with those robot-thingies, normally there is some exit to the north for the dungeon. I am not sure how it opens normally - perhaps after talking to the director? I tried all talk options, and spoke with every single robot, but when I went back, there was no exit northwards. I then realiased I wasn't in the right room; I need to be in that room with the four storage places I think. But I forgot how to go there.

I may have missed something obvious, but perhaps the map could be changed a little bit. Could it be made more easy to access all the areas BEFORE the dungeon? Ideally there would be one entrance location, and then ways to enter the other two parts of the robot-thingy home. Perhaps even there could be different visual gates that make it more easy to recognize them. My brain was perhaps confused with the default gates for the dungeons, so a visual cue may be nice to have. No clue why I was able to find it in my run before, but not this time. My initial assumption was that the north exit was open but it simply was not open this time; I could only go south to the director. (I think there may be a dialogue option that I could trigger last time, but if it is, perhaps the dialogue could be simplified so that it doesn't become so difficult to find the dungeon entrance.)

Anyway. After that I decided to uninstall the mod. I may give it another try in the future as I think it's a nice idea. It's a little bit confusing right now, though, perhaps simplifications could be made for it in regards to the initial staging area. After all if the robot thingies want help, they should not make it too difficult for heroes to help.