Skip to content

GOG Linux Version Update

Dear support team,

would you be so kind and update the GOG Linux version to the latest v34, please? Some servers are kicking players like me who are still running the v33 and can't update.

It seems like that the steam version is up-to-date for all three supported platforms, including linux.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hey there @foobaz! Thanks for the heads-up! We're going to reach out to the GOG team to get them to update this install package.
  • foobazfoobaz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot for the quick response, very much appreciated!
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    I'm not sure if the GOG version for Windows is up to date, since the "NPCs standing at posts always face East" bug is still evident.
    I'm not sure how to even see what my game version number is, since I can't find it anywhere in the settings screen.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2022
    @Melkior That bug/reversion is in all the most upto date versions.

TR
    Melkior wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the GOG version for Windows is up to date, since the "NPCs standing at posts always face East" bug is still evident.
    I'm not sure how to even see what my game version number is, since I can't find it anywhere in the settings screen.

Here are the GOG version numbers for all platforms, Melkior:

Windows:
    smmog5fk2o9d.png

Mac:
    cmrhjwvlo7oc.png

Linux (only one not up-to-date):
    bs9y34yvk6fc.png
    Great. Now if only I could figure out how to find those numbers in my current installation of the game. But I think I probably have the latest version and BD are just dragging their feet on fixing the bugs (the always-face-east bug is just one; there's another where a henchman can die then resurrect and get stuck trying to run right through a solid wall and there seems to be no way to get him unstuck except for reloading from an earlier save & he doesn't respawn back at the recall stone portal)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Melkior That bug/reversion is in all the most upto date versions.

TR

Do you have any repro, or steps to repro, or just any details about it?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2022
    @JuliusBorisov There is a fix on the online lexicon here - X0 i0 walkway

I only just found out about it as I was going to suggest you look at the demo program that is part of

Axe Murderer's Killer Walk Waypoints by Axe

For a description of the glitch I was going to point you to my mini-review of KWW that I did as part of an ongoing series of such reviews.

TR
    @JuliusBorisov There is a fix on the online lexicon here - X0 i0 walkway

I only just found out about it as I was going to suggest you look at the demo program that is part of

Axe Murderer's Killer Walk Waypoints by Axe

For a description of the glitch I was going to point you to my mini-review of KWW that I did as part of an ongoing series of such reviews.

TR

While the "fix" of setting the variable on the POST waypoint does partially work, and the edits do help, neither are an actual fix for the bug.

All you need to do to create the face-east bug is to create a POST waypoint and a NPC to stand at that post which starts out far enough away that the NPC has to walk a short distance to the post, then go into the module. No matter where you place the NPC, they'll walk to the post and then turn to face east. How it's supposed to work (and how it used to work) is that the NPC just walks to the waypoint and then stops and just stands there without turning.

Incidentally, I've subsequently noticed that the same bug happens on multi-player servers with server-supplied henchmen and summons. If they're left standing still for more than a few seconds, they almost always turn to face east.

Even stranger, it looks very much like this same bug sometimes affects the visuals of other players in multi-player servers. While running, player characters will often turn to face east while still running in a different direction. It looks completely weird. I've never seen it occur with one's own character, but only with other player characters. The effect ceases once the PC turns or does something other than running.

Unfortunately, I haven't come across a reliable way to produce the henchman glitch yet, and I've only ever seen it once while replaying the OC (it happened in the area where you fight Gulnan the Yuan-Ti).
  • Ever_EveEver_Eve Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for having raised the problem. I have opened a support ticket with GOG in March 2022 (Request #1269448) and they told me they were in contact with Beamdog waiting for them to send the game files. I've have asked more and more times until July 2022 when I grew tired of their answers and managed to install EE on Linux using Lutris.

But if you managed to obtain the newest binaries from GOG I would appreciate it very much because I prefer to play with the Linux native version.

Thanks again.
  • noisehole_noisehole_ Member Posts: 2
    +1
    The .33 versions leaks memory to no end, and .34 contains two resman memleak fixes. Please work with gog to update their linux package, thanks!
  • noisehole_noisehole_ Member Posts: 2
    Using gogdb I noticed that the packages for each platform contain binaries for each platform.
    So you can dl the windows version, install via wine and then copy everything over the linux install in the game/subdir.
    Add some chmod 755 in the bin/linux folder and you have a native .44 version.

Nice to have a way at all, but really lame that the native package isn't updated for that long provided that the files have been there from day 1...
    Thanks. Actually the only thing I had to do is set the /game/bin/linux-x86/launch.sh as executable.

It is a weird way to obtain the native version but whatever works! Thanks a lot.
    It seems that the problem has finally been solved

7p1kovahfq2h.png
    Great to hear that!
    That's great news! Thanks everyone who was involved in finally solving it. Cheers!
    Patch 35 has gone live and again GOG has released it only for Windows and Mac.
    @JuliusBorisov is there anything that we can do with GOG?
    We sent them an email last week. No response yet.
    Hello, again GOG has not yet updated the Linux release

3tcsd8muhuwe.png