Skip to content

unable to launch after upgrade

I just upgraded with the latest patch. I cannot launch the game now. I am also running windows 7.
Thanks for the assist.

Comments

• StonebreakerStonebreaker Member Posts: 10
    has anyone else experienced this? seems the posts are not checked too often by the support group.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 179
    I'm pretty sure you'd need to provide more information than just "it doesn't work" before anyone would even consider replying to your post. Exactly what happens? Is it that you double-click to launch the game but it doesn't even load? If it does load, does it crash immediately? If so, is there an error message? You need to say exactly what you're doing to launch the game and exactly what the results are, even if there appears to be no results. There's a discord server for fault reporting and discussion. There's a link to it as a reply to my post about the game becoming unstable after a module reload.
    Fair enough, with the information. Launch the game, screen goes black and nothing else shows up. Move or click the mouse causes the mouse icon to just spin and then timeout. No error or anything else. Just a blank black screen.
  • Turaj123Turaj123 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2023
    Attached is my message file. It happens when I try and join most internet servers, but not all. I used to play on some of the servers months ago but haven't played in a log time might even be years. I try to go to the web address to submit a report but I can't log into that site.
    Any support person able to let me know what they think the issue may be?
    Um... This might be a silly question, but what patch did you install, and on what? Are you perhaps running the 1.69 version of the game and somehow installed the Enhanced Edition as a patch? Or did you have EE already installed and just now updated it? EE hasn't been out for very long, which made me wonder when you said you hadn't played in "a few years."
    It seems that my original post has gotten crossed with another persons issue. Mine was the original about after the update patch, now the game will not load.
    Mine is exactly the same, that is why i added it here. I am running it thru Steam, it auto updated the patch when I opened the game a few days ago and now I get the message above (open the .png). The dumb this is I go to the url it tells me to go and report the issue, but that url asks me for a special login that we don't have. It seems to be a special website for the developers. I tried to join the site but the admin denied my request. Kind of stupid that tech support sends you to what amounts to a bogus site for help. I know the company is legit, but it reminds me of those companies that keep telling you to call X and they tell you to call Y and so on and you never get the help you need.
    Bump. Anyone got any ideas?
    Turaj123 wrote: »
    Bump. Anyone got any ideas?

I got the same error when trying to copy NWN from one computer to another. I managed to get rid of the error message in the end, but now the game just silently crashes instead of reporting anything.

More info on getting rid of the error message:
    I tried using the updater from the panel to check the installation and it got right to the end and then failed at installing something called "openal" (that's an L not an I at the end). I managed to find and install that, but all that did was to switch it to a silent crash instead of a reported crash.

My next move will probably be to wipe it and attempt to re-download and re-install.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    FWIW, OpenAL is Open Audio Language. Somewhat similar in intent to OpenGL (Open Graphics Language).

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please open a ticket with our support. https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us
    Just in case it helps someone else, I seem to have solved my problem by setting all the game shortcuts to always "Run as Administrator" under the Advanced button in the Shortcut tab. There may be a "neater" way to fix the problem, but since I'm the only one to use that PC, I think this works well enough.
    Tried, thanks for the suggestion, but still no good. Starting to think about giving up on NWN since support does not exist.
    There is support, but it seems to be mainly done through Discord now. I'm not sure if the web site which JuliusBorisov gave above also provides support still, but it's probably worth trying it.