Skip to content

Spellhold Studios mods - how to install them?

llawsfordllawsford Member Posts: 3
So, the official Spellhold Studios site is down. Forums too. I wanted to download some of the mods that used to be there and found that they're on GitHub now. Neat. Or is it? The files I've downloaded have no .exe files to install the mods I've got. I'm really at a loss here. If anyone knows what's up, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• llawsfordllawsford Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2023
    Well, I've downloaded a lot of 'friendship' mods just to have more convos with base game NPCs - like Viconia, Valygar or Mazzy (just to name a few). That Adrian NPC mod sounds interesing though and I might check it out.

Edit: So now I've revisited every mod I've downloaded and just put '/releases' in the adress to get the version with the .exe. I still don't know how to get to it without putting it manually but THANK YOU anyway <3
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    edited June 2023
    The mods you mention have their .exe, but you can use any setup-mod.exe and rename it.

Here is a screenshot, left the main github page, top right the release page with the archive to download.

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202023-06-20%20013824.png
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,838
    JohnBob wrote: »
    The mods you mention have their .exe, but you can use any setup-mod.exe and rename it.

With caveats. The executable is always a renamed copy of the WeiDU executable, but WeiDU has versions. If the mod uses features from WeiDU version X and the executable is WeiDU version Y, then it'll only work if Y ≥ X. If Y is older (smaller version number) than X, trying to run that executable will result in syntax errors and a failure to install.

I ran into this one myself when packaging executables with my tweak mod; the first versions I released had an executable that was too old. Which I didn't know until someone reported it to me, because I'm on a Mac and can't test the Windows executables myself.

There are also ways to install mods without using that setup-xxxx executable. I'm not familiar with the Windows options there myself, but I'm sure you could find them with a search.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    PI always uses the latest weidu version and ignores the version packaged by the mod.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,838
    In other words, Project Infinity is one such way to install mods on Windows without using the setup-xxxx executable packaged with them.
  • llawsfordllawsford Member Posts: 3
    JohnBob wrote: »

Here is a screenshot, left the main github page, top right the release page with the archive to download.

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202023-06-20%20013824.png

Thank you so much for this. It was literally right there - and I overlooked it as I always do :D