Skip to content

Favorite Joinable Cleric in the BG series?

13»

Comments

• KillorKillor Member Posts: 7
    I really enjoyed taking care of Aerie during my first BG2 run (which I never even finished), so it's my choice. In my first run through BG1 I even turned Viconia in. In later runs, I've grown fondness of Viconia, and shes a good second. I wish Tiax was as good as he claims to be, then he would be my favorite!
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

Speaking of Viconia, has she always been popular or was it largely a result of the BG2 romance? Can any of the fans remember back to the dark, prehistoric days of BG1, and remember if Viconia was really popular then as well?

I'm just curious as to whether fan favourites helped to shape who originally crossed over into BG2: Minsc, Jaheira, Edwin, Viconia.

I definitely like Viconia in BG2 more than I did in BG1 because of the romance and how it developed Her personality so She seemed more like a believable person.

When I used to play BG1 a long time ago, I also had Viconia in my party. I don't think She was in my earliest BG1 parties, but was one of the two NPCs I would bring along after my PC, Varec Bhaalson (a Fighter/Mage/Thief), was in his 3rd playthrough and later. I brought just as many NPCs in my party as I had boots of speed, so with each subsequent playthrough I got an additional copy that I could import to the beginning, and hence, an additional character in my party. I think I eventually stopped adding people though and just stuck to three characters total: Varec, Viconia, and Imoen. In those later playthroughs I roleplayed an evil character and collected Flaming Fist enforcer helmets as one might bandit scalps. I wanted characters that had something to contribute in my party, who didn't like the Flaming Fist, and who wouldn't care how low my reputation sank. Imoen would periodically say she was leaving my party due to my reputation, but if I talked to her she would always join back in. Viconia seemed a logical choice, since that Flaming Fist enforcer was trying to kill Her and Her clerical abilities made Her a useful addition to the group. Therefore, Viconia was one of my favorite characters in BG1, but only after my PC became powerful enough that I could go on a crusade against the Flaming Fist.

When I was still weak and didn't really understand the game I preferred Minsc and Ajantis over Viconia. My non-understanding of the game when I was first learning how to play is also what led to my animosity toward the Flaming Fist ever since. In the level where Gorion dies, I accidentally attacked that fat guy who talks to you on the road. I clicked the wrong button while I was trying to do something else. At the time I didn't understand that killing him would cause any problems. The Flaming Fist hounded me for the rest of that game, by attacking me whenever I went to any cities and sometimes by ambushing me in between levels. I came to hate them because they wrecked my game and quickly came to see them as the villains. I eventually started a new game once I realized why they were after me and that there was no apparent way to fix it. When I created Varec Bhaalson, my intent was to eventually get back at the Flaming Fist once he became powerful enough to do so. I played with Varec Bhaalson as a PC and with Viconia in his party for about five years on repeated playthroughs. I don't know how many playthroughs there were total, but it was a lot. My primary target was always the Flaming Fist, as I saw them as a greater menace than Sarevok.
    EudaemoniumOxford_Guy
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited November 2012
    That story is... kinda amazing. @ARKdeEREH, I salute you!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    @ARKdeEREH you should have picked up Shar-Teel :)
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Branwen. Cool NPC,lots of character. Branwen + a strong warrior make good subs for Khalid & Jaheira, though I enjoy them as well.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

So much less difficult than Viconia.

Why? Because of her alignment? Depends if you're playing evil or not...
    In those later playthroughs I roleplayed an evil character and collected Flaming Fist enforcer helmets as one might bandit scalps.
    Love this! :-)
    In those later playthroughs I roleplayed an evil character and collected Flaming Fist enforcer helmets as one might bandit scalps.

Did you keep a record of the total number of Flaming Fist killed (there's only so many slots/chests to store helmets in...)?
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

Did you keep a record of the total number of Flaming Fist killed (there's only so many slots/chests to store helmets in...)?

Sort of. I kept their helmets in a house in Beregost. I would go there every time I ran out of inventory space. I don't think I ever actually counted them, per se, but I do remember it taking several minutes to scroll through them all during a particularly long playthrough.
    Oxford_Guy
  • alestusalestus Member Posts: 13
    Viconia of course....without a doubt
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I like Aeries personality :(
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    Personality-wise Yeslick. Too bad you don't meet him until well into the game, because by that time it feels a bit weird to drop someone to take on a new party member.

Viconia is a troubled soul, but she's a great cleric to be sure. Jaheira is the best fighter, of course. Branwen is probably the least appealing at every level, but she's readily available as an alternative to Jaheira or Viconia early on. I almost never use the chapter five multis.

Anomen is a powerhouse. I guess those romancing him have issues with him, but just as a standard party member he's fine.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Branwen fits my party perfect. Of course evil party gets Viconia.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Too easy.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I have both Viconia and Aerie in my party at present and am enjoying their back and forth comments.
  • ManduranManduran Member Posts: 10
    Branwen! Definitely Branwen!
    (Ok, you need to mod her red and as Battleguard of Tempus.. and certainly give her another portrait...)