Skip to content

Immersion

MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I am quite new to this forum and I don’t usually post however I think Baldur’s Gate one of the greatest games out and have played it with my friends over Game ranger I also enjoy the Legend of Drizzt books.

Whether this starts a discussion I don’t know, but I love immersion, The Elder Scrolls seems to be able to achieve this effortlessly with me, I like seeing stuff that sends your mind on interpretations and lets you use your imagination to enhance your own personal story. What I was wondering is whether little fixes, tweaks and general stuffs are being added to the Enhanced Edition which would increase immersion.
Such as infravision, it bothers me it has no use other to make things glow slightly red? I think it would be great to make infravision useful and a bonus worth having or actually making dark areas visible or line of sight increase at night, whilst humans and beings which lack infravision to have decreased line of sight when in dark areas
I don’t think this feature would make it to the final addition because I’ve read some things that say the sprites are being untouched, but it also bothers me that the main sprites for each class are lacking in customizations, like girth, beards or no beards, long hair, braids hoods and general bits and bobs like different belts and pouches.
I think more little description boxes and stuff should appear to describe the scene with detail and again enhance the story and environment or is that me getting too “Planescape Torment”?
Is there any news of the new kits? And will I be able to be a werewolf/shape shifter druid for Baldur’s gate enhanced edition? And will it be fixed so its playable and not weak in later game?
Sorry for all the questions but I hope someone takes interest.

Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Such as infravision, it bothers me it has no use other to make things glow slightly red?
    This particular request has pretty much already been made on this discussion and I agree that it would be nice if infravision actually did something.
    it also bothers me that the main sprites for each class are lacking in customizations
    I agree that more unique sprites would be an improvement. In-game animations (and I believe the inventory paper-dolls as well) are not going to be altered from there BG2 status as it would take far more time, manpower, and money than Overhaul has available. We'll just have to deal with that or leave it up to the modders, who have proven themselves more than capable in the past and will hopefully continue to do so as the developers are taking steps to make BG:EE more modder-friendly than the original BG.
    is that me getting too “Planescape Torment”?
    I don't think it's possible to get too "Planescape:Torment" ;) Detail never hurts as far as I'm concerned.
    Is there any news of the new kits? And will I be able to be a werewolf/shape shifter druid for Baldur’s gate enhanced edition? And will it be fixed so its playable and not weak in later game?
    Although I don't have the quote from Trent Oster handy, he has definitely said that they will be adding at least one new kit to the game. As for Shapeshifters, it's hard to say. Soon after the announcement of BG:EE, Trent did make a few comments about them fixing classes and kits that needed to be fixed, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @ jaysl659

Thank you for the information! It is a shame the sprites wont be altered however It is not much of a loss, being able to play the game comfortabley with fixes and better resolutions is just a dream come true and hopefully we will find ourselves going on adventures with other people on different platforms like the Imac and Ipad.

I am glad you agreed with the Planescape Torment comment :P the small text boxes that appear that tell you the stench of the corpses and the noises within durlags tower really make it for me, its like step between books and games.

Thanks again for your comment.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

As for Shapeshifters, it's hard to say. Soon after the announcement of BG:EE, Trent did make a few comments about them fixing classes and kits that needed to be fixed, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    @Majoca No problem. Also, I might have been a bit unclear here. You will definitely be able to play as a shapeshifter, as all classes and kits available in ToB will be available for BG:EE. The part that it's "hard to say" about is just whether or not they're taking the time to fix shapeshifters so as to be viable at higher levels.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Again thank you very much for your help. I guessed the TOB stuff would make it into BG:EE, I loved playing as a shapeshifter on neverwinter very interesting class but like you said bit weak in higher levels and I never got round to playing as one on BG2. I just like lots of classes to try out it can completely change the experience you have with a game when you try something new.