Skip to content

Highest AC Monster?

Trying to decide on which hated enemy my ranger will choose. I'm thinking I'll just pick the monster with the highest AC (or one of the highest). I couldn't find a list anywhere.

Which monsters have the top 5 highest AC?

How about BG2? I'm planning to take this guy through both games, so I may yet pick dragons or something. Which monsters have the top 5 highest AC in BG2?

Bonus question: Does a ranger only ever get 1 hated enemy?

Thanks!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2012
    In BG1 the highest AC ones would only show up after you've gotten more powerful.... However , I would choose as racial enemy a monster with damage resistance, such as skeleton warriors !

In BG2 dragons have the highest AC's .

Yep, gets only one!
  • NemNem Member Posts: 51
    DJKajuru said:

In BG1 the highest AC ones would only show up after you've gotten more powerful.... However , I would choose as racial enemy a monster with damage resistance, such as skeleton warriors !

In BG2 dragons have the highest AC's .

Yep, gets only one!

Hmm I never considered damage resistance. I plan to play an archer, do they have piercing resistance? I figure I should have decent THAC0 anyways, but the really tough monster would still have a chance to be missed I'm thinking.

Any idea which monster have high AC in BG1?

Trying to find a decent compromise between BG1 and BG2 if one exists. Otherwise I'm not sure which games I'll take the hated enemy for.

I think you mean lowest AC.

Err, yes. Lowest AC. Thanks for the correction.
    elminster
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Skeleton warriors , sword spiders and any heavily armored creature has high ac in BG1.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    In BG1 Spiders or ettercaps, are a solid choice for favored enemy. In BG2 Vampires, Beholders, Golems or Dragons.

An archer with Dragon favored enemy rips through all the dragons in BG2, out of the rest Golems tend to be the most difficult.

Its a shame you cant pick sirenes, bassilisks or ghasts for BG1 though.
    BrudeMortianna
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Clearly, it's Boo. He has a -1 million AC, which is why he is the greatest hero Faerun has ever seen. Also the hamsteriest.
    drsahlCaptRoryDragonspear[Deleted User]
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    For an npc in bg1, Im fairly sure it's drizzt.
    As for monsters, I would guess at doomguard, but I'm far from certain.
    QuartzAbel
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @ajwz
    Ah, doomguards. I have so many unpleasant memories of those.
    What would doomguards fall under? Demon?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't think they'd be on the ranger favoured enemy list, but If they are, I can only imagine they count as undead?
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Nem said:

What would doomguards fall under? Demon?

or maybe some sort of high level undead? good question, never thought of it :)

Is there an undead option? That would cover way too many enemies.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2012
    Doomguards: no race in bg1.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The special doomguard guardian of the cursed idol has a fucking low AC. In an overhaul evaluation, Drizzt and Shandalar (the one in Ulgoth's Beard) are the 2 guys with the lowest AC of the game, Sarevok has a pretty low AC also.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeah Doomguards/Battle Horrors have godawful low ACs, soooo annoying. Buuuut they aren't on the Racial Enemy list.
    Mungri said:

In BG1 Spiders or ettercaps, are a solid choice for favored enemy. In BG2 Vampires, Beholders, Golems or Dragons.

Agree with this. For BG1 pick Spiders or Ettercaps. For BGII I say Dragons or Illithid, possibly Beholders. Vampires are sissies you don't need the help, Golems are very easy to hit you don't need the bonus.
    So hard to choose.

I think I'm going to just pick spiders and hope I can change my hated enemy in BG2, rather than try and pick one that'll be decent across both.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Spiders were always a popular choice for favored enemies in the first game, with Dragons or Demons being popular in the second.

Spiders get an armor bonus vs. ranged weapons so the bonus helps.
    NemQuartzDragonspearBrude
    CaptRory said:

Spiders were always a popular choice for favored enemies in the first game, with Dragons or Demons being popular in the second.

Was not aware of the armor bonus! That's very good to know, thank you. :)
    DragonspearMoomintroll
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Nem said:

CaptRory said:

Was not aware of the armor bonus! That's very good to know, thank you. :)
    Yeah, I think it's Giant Spiders and Sword Spiders that have a -4 AC vs. Missile Weapons, so the Racial Enemy adjustment cancels it out. Sexy stuff! That's why I always pick it.
    NemBrude
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    I would say demons or undead in BG2. There's only six or seven dragons in total for the whole BG saga. Doesn't seem worth it. (unless it covered wyverns too)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited November 2012
    I say Doomsayer, followed by Battle Horrors and Helmed Horrors and finally Doom Guards. I think of those guys, the Doomies are the "weakest" (maybe Invisible Stalkers are weaker, don't know)

Edit : Well, just checked their Effective Armor Classes on Near Infinity :

Invisible Stalker -3
    Doom Sayer -2
    Battle Horror -2
    Doom Guard 0
    Helmed Horror 0

Maaan, was I wrong O_O
    QuartzNem
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Elzarath said:

There's only six or seven dragons in total for the whole BG saga.

There's at least nine dragons in BG2. I think there might be at least one more, but I can't remember where or who it is.

1.) Adalon
    2.) Firkraag
    3.) the Shadowdragon
    4.) Abazigal
    5.) the dragon who guards Abazigal's chamber
    6.) Draconis
    7.) Saladrex
    8.) the dragon in one of the challenges in Watcher's Keep
    9.) the dragon in Hell

Edit: 10.) the dragon in Suldanesselar
    11.) the second dragon in Hell (with SCS)
    Post edited by ARKdeEREH on
    Nem
    there are 10 dragons in BG saga, add the black dragon hired by irenicus in the list above :)!
    ARKdeEREH
    edited November 2012
    I see mention of Drizzt, which made me think that Drizzt isn't a monster, but you are if you kill him.

Therefore the monster with the lowest AC in the game would be me with -15 :p
    CaptRorybbearAbelMERLANCE
    Elzarath said:

I would say demons or undead in BG2. There's only six or seven dragons in total for the whole BG saga. Doesn't seem worth it. (unless it covered wyverns too)

My line of thought was that I don't need help killing skeletons and the like, but a dragon will always be somewhat difficult to take down, and that's where the extra damage and hit chance would be handy.

Buuuuut I'd like to have hated enemy be useful to me through some part of BG1 as well, so maybe undead or demon would make sense.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, if you aren't playing on Tutu or Trilogy, then you get two choices. If you do though, that makes it kinda "unfair" (not really, you get plenty of advantages anyway).

If the choice was in me, I'd pick Spiders for BG1 and once in BG2 I'd go with Vampires. Maybe I'm alone in this feeling. Sometimes AC doesn't matter as much as monster danger.

Besides, Dragons are easily hittable. Problem comes from their Magical Stoneskin which Breach cannot, well, breach. That is, unless you fix the bug :P
    Mungri said:

I see mention of Drizzt, which made me think that Drizzt isn't a monster, but you are if you kill him.

Therefore the monster with the lowest AC in the game would be me with -15 :p

Monster is anything that goes hostile on the party, be it a goblin, a dragon or Drizzt do'Urden. You're looking for the moral aspect of the word "monster", it isn't to be applied here, in the place of the term "monster" use hostile if you prefer.

No, if something is friendly and you attack it, that doesnt make it a monster, that makes YOU the monster!

Drizzt doesnt go hostile on you unless you go hostile on him, therefore he is only defending himself from your attack. To him / his party, you are a monster :p
    DJKajurubbearVedwintheTyrant
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2012
    hmmmmm what about Demogorgon? he is a brutal sob lol