Skip to content

Chapter 3 doesn't trigger properly if Mulay is killed outside of his lair (0824)

2»

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    It works, though this way you do not actually need to pick up the scrolls. But the letters are mentioned in the chapter transition, so the players are reminded to take a look at the boring stuff.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2012
    I actually like the idea of there being the Chap 3 trigger simply by leaving Mulahey's cave with him dead, but the narration mentions the letters directly, so to leave it this way is incongruous. I mean, you can literally kill him and walk out to get the trigger now- no need to even look at his inventory, much less the chest contents. We could chop up the narration to leave that part out, but... *grimace*

Maybe we should just implement this fix now so we'll have a sure-fire way of tracking the player's steps and knowing if the letter has been read:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3911/bgee-feature-request-add-a-trigger-variable-for-reading-documents

Short of that, this one still seems Confirmed Not Fixed.

NOTE:
    I love the new Nashkel narration portrait! Kudos, @NatJones!

[EDIT]
    @Tanthalas
    You're calling this one Confirmed Fixed?

Not sure why we didn't just implement the key/chest option.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Bhryaen
    I can think of 2 alternatives to forcing players to read:
    1) a dialog popping up after both Mulahey is dead and the battle is over, reading the text out to the player - at the end of the dialog, chapter 3 starts.
    2) Simply give the items to the party as quest items. If the player is careless though, this may result in some dropped and forever-lost items. (as always with quest items)
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2012
    @Humanoid_Taifun
    I was about to agree with #1, but then I remembered how much text there is in the two letters (and thus how much would be floaty texted)... plus the way only one of the letters is important to the narration... and the fact that the player is supposed to be solving a mystery, not just killing things, and should already be looking through things for clues.

The key would make it obvious that the chest's contents were important and prevent accessing the letters until after Mulahey's dead. I also don't like the instant cut to the Chap 3 trigger (nor Chap 4 and Chap 5) upon gaining the necessary document in inventory. No one can even read the letter before the narration ensues. But at least that way would be equal to (not better than) vBG1's method. If a trigger could be tied to accessing the item's exmination page (and closing it- i.e., not interrupting the read), that would cover everything.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited November 2012
    @KeithS @Dave
    The letters have changed location. You will need to change the text in Mulahe.dlg to match this.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Jalily can probably fix that.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It makes sense, actually. Right after Mulahey tells you the letters are in the chest, he yells, "Fools, you'll never have the chance to take anything!" and attacks you. This happens both times; it's a trick. (There should probably be a pause between the two lines though, so the player has a chance to move.)