Skip to content

[(BG1) BUG] Claw of Kazgaroth curse subject to Dispel

BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
edited August 2012 in Fixed
OBSERVED:
Someone afflicted with the Claw of Kazgaroth in their ring slot can have all of its ill effects (except dislodging it) removed by casting Dispel Magic on the victim successfully.

EXPECTED:
MISC72's "dispel/resistance" setting needs to be changed from 1 to 0 like other cursed items.

NOTES:
This appears to be an issue primarily for the Claw of Kazgaroth... which seems to be stuck like a curse in the forum threads with its repeated issues... possibly because we're only casting Dispel Magic on it...

This discussion was created from comments split from: [BG1, BG2, Bug/Temples] Dispel Magic listed as valid when Claw of Kazgaroth (MISC72.ITM) is equipped.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Probably irrelevant but casting Dispel Magic (10 times) on a Claw-equipped victim also doesn't help... /:-I
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    @Bhryaen - I imagine that could be a problem. Should it behave the same way as remove curse in that instance?
    edited July 2012
    @SethDavis
    No no, I meant I cast it and Dispel Magic had no effect whatsoever in dislodging the thing... which I assume is the right result. If it's not supposed to be valid for a cure inside a priest's store, it shouldn't work outside a priest's store either. After all it's a cursed item, not just magical. I was just making sure...

Confirmed Even-More-Fixed... Or Even-More-Confirmed Fixed...
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited July 2012
    Yes, dispel magic should have no effect on cursed items. However, Claw of Kazgaroth makes the player blurry right? I remember hearing a bug back in the day that dispel magic would remove the blur.
    @Balquo
    Definitely a Blur effect, and Dispel Magic definitely didn't remove the Blur... unfortunately hehe
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #0 (opcode 65) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #1 (opcode 0) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #2 (opcode 33) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #3 (opcode 34) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #4 (opcode 35) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #5 (opcode 36) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #6 (opcode 37) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #7 (opcode 0) can be dispelled
    MISC72.ITM: Global Effect #8 (opcode 10) can be dispelled
    All equipped effects of the Claw of Kazgaroth shouldn't be subject to dispel, which is why you're seeing this. They should be applied as non-dispellable effects.
    @CamDawg
    Wait- are you saying it's not fixed then? Oh, you mean here:

I find that very confusing. I'm never sure if I'm reading it right... Is it saying:
    0- "No dispel/bypass resistance" = Can't be dispelled and doesn't bypass resistance
    1- "Dispel/Not bypass resistance" = Can be dispelled and doesn't bypass resistance
    2- "Not dispel/bypass resistance" = Can't be dispelled and does bypass resistance
    3- "Dispel/Bypass resistance" = Can be dispelled and does bypass resistance

Despite NI showing it set to 1, however, when I partied and then stuck MISC72 on an ogre, unpartied him, then made him hostile and cast repeated successful Dispel Magics on him (from scroll), then partied him again to check... the MISC72 never wavered: he stayed in Blur, his -4CON was still there, and all the same Save penalties persisted. Not sure what to make of this.
    Be warned, the current "dispel magic" scroll (scrl1e) actually casts/memorizes remove magic. I changed it to dispel magic, had Dynaheir memorize and cast it, and the claw effects went down on the first cast. When I changed those effects to no dispel/bypass they held up through repeated dispels.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yeah, when testing this kind of stuff I've been using Clerics instead.
    // claw of kazgaroth equipping effects are disspellable
    COPY_EXISTING ~misc72.itm~ ~override~
    READ_LONG 0x6a "fx_off"
    READ_SHORT 0x70 "fx_num"
    FOR (index = 0; index < "%fx_num%"; index = index + 1) BEGIN // searches through global effects
    WRITE_BYTE ("%fx_off%" + 0x0d + ("%index%" * 0x30)) 2 // not dispel/not bypass
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    edited July 2012
    Then the original thread seems Confirmed Fixed for the OP point (temples no longer help defy game rules)... so I'll just split this handy info to its own thread to address this other issue of MISC72's remaining difficulties. It seems only to apply to Claw of Kazgaroth from my perusal of cursed items through NI. So many issues for one little innocent cursed item...

Testing confirmed everything @CamDawg just mentioned regarding MISC72's rascally nature...
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Potentially fixed - @CamDawg 's fix has been used
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Confirmed fixed - all equipped effect dispel flags were set to 2 (not dispellable)
    Also tested in-game- no effect dispelled.