Skip to content

Poll Arms

2»

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @GygaxianProse @regxreg: what does OD&D stand for? Googling didn't help me much, the term points to the original D&D box set it seems, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    So wild that it better stays locked in a cage :< (wild = obvious?)
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201

@GygaxianProse @regxreg: what does OD&D stand for? Googling didn't help me much, the term points to the original D&D box set it seems, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about.

No, that is it. First thing on Google. This is what Gygax used if running D&D, plus a few supplements. It doesn't appear he ever actually playd AD&D...
    rexreg said:

@GygaxianProse
    for all the 1st ed. I played, the given weapon vs. AC always seemed too cumbersome...interesting & accurate in its own way, but cumbersome...love weapon speed/casting time, though

Yeah, the hammer has lost its pinch and its place in the medieval arms race, despite all the rules heaviness of latter editions. Weapon vs. AC seems fairly light by comparison.
    I found a "combat calculator" for AD&D in a dragon magazine lot. IDK how well it plays, but it includes the AC adjustments.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Oh Twinkies, how I will miss you.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Son_of_Imoen
    OD&D is the original box set (3 small booklets + a handful of later add-ons); this rules set was built off the original Chainmail rules
    D&D is comprised of Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal sets; these were later compiled into the D&D Rules Cyclopedia...
    AD&D is 1st & 2nd ed.
    3.X & 4th are, again, called D&D
    D&D (Basic et al.) & AD&D ran concurrently & the names were used to differentiate the rules systems; D&D was simpler & gave fewer options
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Nice pun! However, with fewer responses for the arms poll than possible pole arms in real life or under AD&D rules, I'm unsure how to respond.

Naginatas for you!
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    Well, since Forgotten Realms dosn't seem to have Long Axes (danish axes?), I am stuck with using Halberds every now and then. Truely beautiful and impressive weapons! Unlike Great Axes, which are.. well, as we all know, tools for a barbarian.

Question of the day: Does Forgotten Realms include any Elven culture where Axes would've been used extensively as weapons? If I recall right, Wild elves in Dragonlance did, but not in FR?

Now, don't bring the argument - no axes for elves! That's bull----. Since LOTR elves have had long axes and they've kept this tradition alive even in Warhammer.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Mortianna Unearthed Arcana had the Polearm section in the back.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    ...Twinkies... also anybody else notice a paradox here???
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    My main character in Morrowind used spears until the end. With constant effect jump and fortify strength, it was like being a dragoon.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    rexreg said:

@Son_of_Imoen
    OD&D is the original box set (3 small booklets + a handful of later add-ons); this rules set was built off the original Chainmail rules
    D&D is comprised of Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal sets; these were later compiled into the D&D Rules Cyclopedia...
    AD&D is 1st & 2nd ed.
    3.X & 4th are, again, called D&D
    D&D (Basic et al.) & AD&D ran concurrently & the names were used to differentiate the rules systems; D&D was simpler & gave fewer options

Thanks for a succint and complete explanation!