Skip to content

Star Citizen

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHOMM5uP1M
I understand that this one is way too offtopic.. But this is The Game that many spacesim fans have dreamed of for a looong time, so I decided to mention it here.

Real quick, Star Citizen is:
- A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
- Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
- Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
- Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
- No Subscriptions
- No Pay to Win

For more information visit www.robertsspaceindustries.com or Kickstarter page.

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    8 hours till the end of the funding campaign btw.
    Any more bhaalspawns who are not indifferent to spacesims?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    That actually looks pretty good! Haven't played a proper space game in ages, Freelancer was the last.

Thanks for the reference!
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    This game looks pretty cool and it's a very ambitious title.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Except that it's MP, which will keep me away from this game. I love the old WC games and really wish I could get StarLancer to run on a modern machine. This, however, will be a pass for me.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @reedmilfam I wonder why? It is much more interesting and challenging to play such games against human beings..
    @Anton - Lots of reasons:

1) Chat feature in MP games alone is a reason for me to stay away
    2) Real time =/= game time; any coop- stuff locks you
    3) Vastly different player skill and equipment based on playing time - not looking forward to paying for repairs on my shot-up craft

I don't mind an option to play MP on something, but that isn't what this looks like (based on the articles and interviews).
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    Ive put to much time into X3 to change space games now.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Reedmilfam

It said Singleplayer, offline and possible coop online. Is that incorrect or should I interpret it as 'singleplayer' then, like WoW technicly *can be* single player, if you just ignore all the other players and don't do any dungeons?
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Yeah it says there's offline single player, so does that mean you can get the full story/space sim experience without ever playing online or is it like just a free roam mode or something like that? If it has a real single player then I want it, but if it's gonna force me to play online with other people? Hell no.
    @Drugar - I may have missed a detail. All I saw in the interview was talk about a persisting universe, MP and other stuff.

I'm picky. I want a plot, too - sort of like Freelancer without the bad acting! Sandbox is fine afterward, I suppose. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it pulls me in. Definitely not sold on the idea of Star Citizen at this point, but they have time to change my mind.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    The multiplayer aspects of this title are quite interesting; not at all like traditional MMOs and there's a lot of options and different ways to play. I'd direct you to a blog post that was made on specifically this topic describing Roberts' vision of how multiplayer interfaces with single player, etc. It's not at all like any multiplayer system I've ever read. I don't play MMOs either but it sounds like this one could be a hybrid that offers a satisfying experience for both types of players.

Besides, it's been a hella long time since there was a full-fledged worthy space sim. Multiplayer isn't going to ruin this for me!
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    I can't wait for this game!