Skip to content

Romance in BG1

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
It should by some romance in BG1:EE.
Like Dynaheir, Branwen, Shar Teel or Viconia ( and please, change her ugly portrait in BG1 ).
Also player should be able sometimes talk with group members ( and his " love " ) when he want ( like F1 + click on char )

Comments

• EleanorEleanor Member Posts: 2
    Concurred. Even, say, foreshadow-romance of existing romances paths in BG2 would be pretty neat. Also, further inter-NPC displays of their own relationships would be cool, I think. See even more of the Minsc-Dynaheir dynamic which makes it ultimately so tragic for him to lose her at the start of BG2 and so forth, and give even further depth to the party as a whole.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    What, no love for Faldorn guys? ;-D
  • TheGrapeTyphlosionTheGrapeTyphlosion Member Posts: 29
    Also foreshadow the possibility of the PC/Jaheira relationship during BG:EE
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    @TheGrapeTyphlosion Not impossible but unlikely,she loves Khalid very much.
  • TheGrapeTyphlosionTheGrapeTyphlosion Member Posts: 29
    @Bastion72 True, but given what happens in BG2 I wouldn't mind at least some hint of security there.
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Agreed, alternatively I would like brand new characters in which you can romance starting in bgee and go all the way through TOB.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @cmorgan

BG1 NPC doesn't give you a bouncy bouncy fiddle dee dee, what do you want to do with me, moment with Viconia.

I need to find out who designed that mod and ask them to fix that.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    @Ward - -JR- started working on a BioWare Romance Expansion, and had some good ideas, but I don't think anything got done; two separate older efforts ran into all sorts of hassles as they were early adopters of non-gender-biased romancing back when folks were very uncomfortable with breaking new ground there. In fact, there have been several attempts at building a Viconia Romance addition/expansion. The only other character that has so many stalled attempts at creating new material is Haer'Dalis, who finally is getting a working mod by Aeryn at Spellhold Studios...

I think I just started rambling. Sorry. Quick answer - you are correct. And being a sucker for a good play-from-Candlekeep-To-Godhood story, it might be cool to have a pro flesh out Viconia. Most of the others are covered, and often continue in mod form through the rest of the saga.
  • Kate_wiseKate_wise Member Posts: 12
    I know that the Beamdog team seem to be saying that they aren't wanting to modify any existing content, particularly regarding NPCs, but romances and NPC banter feel like such a necessary addition to BG1 that I really hope they consider it.

I really love the BG1 NPC modifications - although some may be flawed, and perhaps are not always written exactly to character - because after playing BG2, BG1 feels rather ... bare... in comparison when it comes to character interactions and immersions that way. You *want* to be able to have a conversation with Kivan about Tazok, or Branwen about Tranzig, etc ,etc.

I'm also all for player initiated dialogue in both games. Mods that put that in also increase the immersive feel.

Well, my two cents anyway!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    The original cast of characters will not get any additional content due to contractual limitations. New BG:EE NPCs may be romanceable, but not the original cast of characters. Unfortunately, that is a fact as per @TrentOster's tweets (and there go my dreams to romance Dynaheir...).
    Arg, that's *such* a shame :( Like I said before, BG1 just feels to bare on that side of things...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Kate_wise - I can guarantee you that BG1NPC did a fairly good job of adding banters and romances to BG1 NPCs. Maybe Dynaheir's romance was a bit more chaste than I would have wanted (=P) but I strongly advise you try it out next time you play BG.
    @AndreaColombo Oh no, I have I have! Very nice indeed. :)

But I'm guessing it will take some time for it to become compatible with BGEE... just would be a shame if you have to choose between them!
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    The original cast of characters will not get any additional content due to contractual limitations.
    Contractual limitations ? That's not quite the reason I expected ... i mean: if the romance is well written and consistent with the 'character of the character' and his/her behavior in BG2 then there is nothing wrong with it, right ? Why is something like that part of the contract ? I don't understand ...

Anyway ... I refuse to give up hope! Maybe the new character(s) can be romanced ... and if not: there's still the chance they create romancable characters in the future and offer them as DLC. The bigger this thread here gets the bigger the chances of getting some romance becomes!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's a shame that original characters will not be "romancable" in the Vanilla game. There's hope for some great mods though. Also, it would be super great to have new NPC be romance option, then lose them at the beginning of BG2EE and find them at some point of the plot of BG2EE. I mean, a romance that carries over. It would have a much deeper impact as far as I am concerned. A longer, better developed romance that is (in in-game time terms)
    There is hoping for some new romances for Lady PCs, as being stuck with mr. Anomen can sometimes be ultra dramatic :P

And mind you, I don't dislike Anomen, I just don't particularly like him (Haer'dalis would have been a better choice)

Sorry for the long rant. I am passionate when it comes to the best RPG of all times :)
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Is nothing wrong if someone dislike Anomen, he was really annoying. :D
    Not all characters can be super cool because not all peoples are that kind of.

• sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    I think its more important to add NPC Interactions to BG1 than a romance, too bad they cant change original content due to contractual limitations..

It doesnt make much sense , isnt the point of Enhancing is to improve the original??
    I mean.. adding NPC Interactions not going change the storyline or hurt the game, rather the opposite, and it isnt something new anyway.. it already exist in BG2.
    I fully agree. To me enhancing is improving the original. So putting it in the TOB engine and all is grand, but not having npc interactions and/or romances with original npcs wont really mean the game is enhanced, just that it has expansions basically.

To me mods like BG1NPC Project enhances the BG1 gameplay.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @mch202 : I agree completely. But I believe there will be new dialogues or banter with the old NPCs. Dave Gross has been asking on twitter every week or so to fans which character we wanted a new line for. It is limited to just companions but still, a line is a line.
    As far as I know, there won't be any voiced dialogue for old NPCs. Maybe Minsc from the tweets given by mr. Oster himself. We shall see.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    One of the best parts of BG2 was the companion dialogue, banters and romances. The BG1NPC mod does a solid job of injecting a similar vibe into BG1.

New NPCs for yet more banter is always good though.

@cheesebelly I'm now going to hunt down Dave Gross's tweet history, I've been reading TrentOster but didn't realise there were more morsels of goodness out there.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Though there is a mod that adds this, I readily concur - it would really be a nice addition to have lengthy, complex and satisfying romances in BG1 - even more so if they could relate to what happens later on in BG2.
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2012
    Hello everybody i am new here,young BG player- like oldschool rpg's and always on watch for some.
    Sorry if someone asked before- Is there going to be Romance option in BG1 enchanced like in BG2?
    I really would love the idea of developing strong bond with Jaheira In BG1 so technically it would fit the BG2 romance.
    Also Romancing Imoen is pretty nasty but probably fun- and you are only half brothers so maybe Imoen too :D?
    What do you think about these options? maybe also that you can flirt with Dynheir and steal her from Minsc?
    By the way someone knows if Minsc AKA Jim Cummings is going to voice him again? He IS one of the characters that desribe all the fun in BG :P
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Theres already a topic about romances in BG1.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1488/romance-in-bg1

And it's this one, by exactly the same name.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I must rest before I can merge these topics.

/sigh
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

/sigh
    @Tanthalas Now you did it right!! :D
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

/sigh
    Rest well.