Skip to content

Playing D&D Next Online

AviiAvii Member Posts: 34
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
Hey guys,

This seemed like the place to drum up interest, but I was wondering if people would wanna maybe start playing D&D Next online together? No better way to learn about your fellow adventurers, than to go on an actual adventure with them. Or heck it doesn't need to be D&D Next, it can be any edition. Thoughts?
Post edited by Avii on

Comments

• xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    I would play I live in a backwater town where D&D is considered evil so I cant find a game anywhere and would love to play =/
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Me tooooo
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I may like to play, but I only have experience with 4th and Next.
    I can play D&D 2.0 - Next. I can also do Classic Spycraft. I'm somewhat open to learning a new system, but I'm very picky about it <_>

Will this be a message-board style play-by-post, or a weekly chat session, or weekly Skype session?
  • AviiAvii Member Posts: 34
    I was thinking weekly skype. That way everyone speaks in character and really roleplay. I am doing a demo game with some friends tonight to see how it goes. I would be willing to DM a few sessions but I'd really like someone to take the helm after we get this rolling. Anyone willing to bear this burden to our rping Mordor?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Sounds awesome. You thinking of it being a realms campaign, or something more home-brew? I might be a little rusty, but I might be able to run a game or two.
    Weekly sounds good to me. I am -6 gmt, I am free most evenings after 530pm and every Sunday. Is that okay?
    First guys, lets see how I play with my group before we get ahead of ourselves. @LordsDarkKnight185, we are on a Baldur's Gate game site, of course it will be Realms. Though I wouldn't wanna dm the entire thing because I wanna play in the realms (never have been a player in the realms since I started D&D).
    Of course. Just let us know how it goes. I used to play over yahoo chat and msn way back, how do you and your potential group plan to handle dice rolls?
    I just have faith in them not to fudge the rolls. They trusted me enough behind my DM screen.
    @xxxsmb1987xxx Where do you live exactly, most places I know are pretty tolerable about D&D. It's just the really nerdy thing to do.
    Avii said:

@xxxsmb1987xxx Where do you live exactly, most places I know are pretty tolerable about D&D. It's just the really nerdy thing to do.

That's more my situation, no one says anything disrespectful about my hobbies, but no one I know close by is really interested in D&D or role playing in general (I live in NC)

I am king nerd here >.>;
    I wonder which chat program allows public dice rolls...

I wonder which chat program allows public dice rolls...

I think Open RPG does that, I could be mistaken though.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    AIM does as well, although I haven't used it in literally years.
    Update: The game went great, we played on GoogleHangouts. For dice rolling everyone told me the truth and I expect you guys to do the same. Cause let's be honest there is no better feeling than getting a crit with a real dice in your hand. So I would have everyone roll and I'd trust em not to fudge it.
  • flame867flame867 Member Posts: 32
    Interesting, am I to late to join? which rule set is being used?
    @Avii I live in a small town in Ohio that was once called the magic city lol its not so much that anymore most places are closed and everyone my age are running around all ghetto im up for playing if you want you can pm me with what I would need to get started for online stuff and ill gladly download it im unemployed at the moment so I have alot of free time :p:/

@Avii I live in a small town in Ohio that was once called the magic city lol its not so much that anymore most places are closed and everyone my age are running around all ghetto im up for playing if you want you can pm me with what I would need to get started for online stuff and ill gladly download it im unemployed at the moment so I have alot of free time :p:/

*lifts hand* High-five and weeping for being part of the unemployed group. T.T

(Though I do have classes and such I would need to work around)
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    Just be careful. I was running "World's Largest Dungeon" online (updated to 3.5) with about 16-21 players for about 5 months (I think it was on Rpol) AT MOST before I started receiving violent threats from idiots. At that point I just never looked back. I felt crummy about it, but I had responsibilities outside of myself not worth compromising on even a really off chance if it was just for a game.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you're looking for a good group to game with, you might try DnDOnlineGames.com (I'm a staff member over there). They don't do IM games, but they're a great community for play-by-post.

For Skype games or other IM-based programs, you do have to be careful about your groups. But generally speaking, we've got a good crowd here too. :)
    @LordsDarkKnight185 lol *high five* sucks it put my plans on getting my gf a shiny gold band with a expensive rock on hold :P
    Well looks like a lot of you wanna get some gaming in... AWESOME! Now I was wondering if someone else could DM so we could run multiple groups. I need people willing to play D&D Next and I'll provide directions on how to get the beta testing material (though when they send surveys, to help the game fill them out). Now I'm thinking a pirate crew on the Sword Coast... Thoughts?
    Im a terrible GM but I can help with ideas n_n
    Pirates! I love pirates!!!!
    edited November 2012
    I would happily DM. I am loving Next and I would run the adventures given with the test packets...So no peeking at those, future players. >.>
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I'm looking into Skype gaming as well. Or whichever program. I have Skype on an iPad, haven't ever played online though.
    Would be into playing basic through 2nd.

My thought for DMing would be a 5th or so level tournament style module, set in the sword coast, using BG1 NPCs - pick your favorite, if two pick the same, roll off.....2nd edition, of course. "The Trials of Boo" is the working title : )

I haven't read the adventures, but I've done a test play. I'm good at not metagaming, even if it gets my PC killed. :P
    I do DM the games I play, but... I don't think I'm comfortable enough to DM with strangers, so I'd rather play.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201

I do DM the games I play, but... I don't think I'm comfortable enough to DM with strangers, so I'd rather play.

If you don't mind unasked for advice, running a tournament at a convention is a great way to break that sort of ice.