Skip to content

BG2:EE Bonus Merchants

This is looking ahead to the projected sequel, but will BG2:EE include the two bonus merchants? Deidre in the Adventurer's Mart and Joluv in the Copper Coronet have many a useful item, and I am curious as to whether or not their wares will be available automatically with the game.

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    The only scenario where they may not be included is if the add-on merchants where some how licensed differently because they came in the CE. I don't think that's the case though, so as long as the source was made available I can't imagine they won't be included.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If they aren't inlcluded I'm sure a fan will have a fix for it in a month or two.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I think they probably will be, although it's possible they will be nerfed or given as a bonus to players who pre-order or something. I would personally like them to get special quests, so we could actually earn the awesomeness.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    I want my Robe of Vecna!!!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    Ken said:

A shame they are in the game.. The items are dirt cheap and gamebreaking

While true, they also fill in some otherwise neglected item slots for various classes.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

Ken said:

A shame they are in the game.. The items are dirt cheap and gamebreaking

While true, they also fill in some otherwise neglected item slots for various classes.
    Yea man. Like how druids get the Staff of Arundel from Joluv which helps balance out their lack of upper level spells for parts of the game. Plus its not like these items don't all cost a fair bit of coin.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I hate the Robe of Vecna, it looks stupid the way that spells are "interrupted/cast" before time. And it is hands down the best armor for mages. "Oh, lets make it easily affordable and you can get it right out of Irenicus dungeon".

Shield of Balduran makes Beholders a joke

Helm of Vhalor is alright I guess, but maybe it should be 3 charges max, more limited to certain pure classes.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    With BG2:EE being based on the latest ToB version, it seems likely they will be included as a patch back then made them available to everyone.

Also, it's not like you have to use items just because they're there. The Cloak of Mirroring is a good example unrelated to merchants, not to mention scrolls of protection from undead. No one can make your playthrough cheesy but yourself.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited November 2012
    The game needs some good items in shop. If it should be nerfed at all just up the price a bit. I hate games where shops become obsolete after your first levels.

EDIT:
    Perhaps also the robe of vecna should only lower spellcasting to 2 not 1? Not sure. But it looks kindda stupid when casting spells sometimes...
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    These similar arguments again? If you don't like it, then don't use it!

The items the bonus merchants sell were intended to aid soloers.
    Mungri said:

Who says that?
    elminster said:

Mungri said:

Who says that?
    I read it in some review and agreed with the opinion. If you have a full group you can easily manage without those items. Soloing on a caster without then would be tough, which again you can try to if you want, but quit dissing what most other people find extremely fun.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    Tome said:

I think they probably will be, although it's possible they will be nerfed or given as a bonus to players who pre-order or something. I would personally like them to get special quests, so we could actually earn the awesomeness.

Don't give the devs this kind of stupid ideas ! (sorry for the bad manners - no offense intended).

The videogame market is already littered with c r a p p y commercial methods and whatsoever over-exepensive DLC (what's funny is, in French, DLC acronym means "up the a s s").

• GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Tome said:

"as a bonus to players who pre-ordered or something", no offence, but you made me have horrible EA flashbacks with Day-1 DLC if you didnt pre-order:p

• Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited November 2012
    If you don't like the items, don't use them. Simple. Just don't dictate to others how we should play the game because you don't like the items.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Ken said:

I hate the Robe of Vecna, it looks stupid the way that spells are "interrupted/cast" before time. And it is hands down the best armor for mages. "Oh, lets make it easily affordable and you can get it right out of Irenicus dungeon".

I never liked the Robe of Vecna much. I prefer the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 for my Fighter/Mage. The AC is much better and I don't have to worry about as many people being able to damage my character since he has complete immunity to normal weapons.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    ARKdeEREH said:

I never liked the Robe of Vecna much. I prefer the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 for my Fighter/Mage. The AC is much better and I don't have to worry about as many people being able to damage my character since he has complete immunity to normal weapons.

Won't most PCs have immunity to normal weapons at that point as a result of the hell trials though? Especially if you carry the same one through multiple games.
    Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

Who says that?
    I read it in some review and agreed with the opinion. If you have a full group you can easily manage without those items. Soloing on a caster without then would be tough, which again you can try to if you want, but quit dissing what most other people find extremely fun.
    I'm going to assume that your last comment wasn't directed at me so much as it was directed at other people, since I hardly see how with three words I could be "dissing what most other people find extremely fun."

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Shin said:

With BG2:EE being based on the latest ToB version, it seems likely they will be included as a patch back then made them available to everyone.

Also, it's not like you have to use items just because they're there. The Cloak of Mirroring is a good example unrelated to merchants, not to mention scrolls of protection from undead. No one can make your playthrough cheesy but yourself.

Correct me if I am wrong but only one of them was included in the official patch.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I think we should get rid of these bonus merchants and redistribute the items to merchant around Amn. It is silly that normal merchants have these items, but it would make you actually go and look at the merchandise of shopkeepers other than in the adventurers mart.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I believe these Items should be sent to ToB, instead. Some of them are too cheesy ;D
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    I love those merchants and items. (some of them anyway)
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    ARKdeEREH said:

but you can only have Aslyferund in TOB where everyone has +3 weapons
    elminster said:

Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

Who says that?
    I'm going to assume that your last comment wasn't directed at me so much as it was directed at other people, since I hardly see how with three words I could be "dissing what most other people find extremely fun."

No, it was like the top half of the post to you, the bottom half to the OP. Quoting stuff on forums always complicates things.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I've only ever played vanilla so I've never even seen these items. Surely you can have too much of a good thing and some of the items sound ridiculously overpowered.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

Who says that?

No, it was like the top half of the post to you, the bottom half to the OP. Quoting stuff on forums always complicates things.
    What did I say to get your undies in a bunch? I'm in favor of the bonus merchants and their items being available in BG2:EE