Skip to content

Star Wars: KOTOR I & II impulse purchase

IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
Just impulse purchased both these game for £1.74 each on Steam. Have I just I made a good or bad decision?
Post edited by Icallhimlecobra on

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    For 1.74 pounds who cares? The first one was really good. The second one was good, but not nearly as good as the first, I ran into bugs near the end that screwed a bunch of things up.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Personally, I'd say amazing decision. I loved playing KoTOR. Definitely one of the best RPGs for me.
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    @Awong124 @ekster is it recommended to install any community patches for bug fixes, if their is any?
    edited November 2012
    I credit KOTOR for actually introducing me into the Star Wars universe. I had no interest in Star Wars at all until I played that game. Now I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan. The mythology is pretty fascinating.

@Awong124 @ekster is it recommended to install any community patches for bug fixes, if their is any?

I haven't played in a long time, but I've only ever installed official patches. Maybe unofficial patches and bug fixes might have eliminated some of the bugs I experienced in KOTOR II.
    I've heard good things about these games, but star wars games have always been a bit hit or miss for me. decided to take a gamble and like you said for £1.74 you cant really go wrong.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    KOTOR is phenomenal. I cannot get it to install on Win 7 64 though.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    It's been a while since I last did an install... but as I'm using Win7, I recall only doing the following when installing:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194296

Specifically, the second post.

Hmmm, I'm running win 7 hopefully it will run fine as I got it through steam

@ekster thanks for the link, I'll defo check this if I run into issues
    edited November 2012

I still have my original copy of the game and I could play it on Windows 7 64 no problem. Just installed it normally.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    1.74?!

I must get home!
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    You made a GREAT decision. KOTOR is one of the best RPG's I've ever played and if you download the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod KOTOR 2 is amazing too.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    If it answers your question, the fact you've mentioned this sale means I am now £1.74 poorer, and will probably not be on the forums for a few days.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    In the case of windows vista I know that Kotor 2 needed to use one of the kotor I files (mss32.dll if I'm not mistaken) in order to work. That was the case for me anyways for the CD/DVD version. So if you do have problems with Kotor 2 that may help explain them. Hopefully though Steam has already taken care of it. The Sith Lords Restored Content mod is also a good idea.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Icallhimlecobralolien
    edited November 2012
    @Awong124 some people got it to run. I cannot. I don't know if Steam Installer fights past that.

For $5, I'm going to try :D
    Got the game running on windows 7, doesnt like my intergrated intel HD4000 though, crashed at the front menu. Made my laptop use its nvidia 650m gpu instead and it seems to run fine.
  • ArveragusArveragus Member Posts: 62
    For the grand total of £3.48 you have made an excellent investment. The restored contents mods are also worth adding provided that they work with Windows 7. From recollection KOTOR 2 suffered from a rushed sales release and the mods added back some of the missing content making some of the storylines more complete. I believe that the Sith Lords content mod may be available from the deadly stream website.
    @Icallhimlecobra Did you look here: Steam Forum ?
    @reedmilfam thanks for the suggestion. Its ok now though, my laptop has both dedicated and intergrated graphics. Cause the requirements for the game are low it kept defaulting to the intergrated solution which the game didnt like. I've set it to run of my dedicated gpu now and it seems to run ok. This is why console gaming is so popular, hassle free lol
    @Icallhimlecobra - good to know! Enjoy the game. Experiment a bit, but it's a great story :D
    Icallhimlecobra
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    When you play KotOR2, install this first;

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/1448-tsl-restored-content-mod-18-released/

Otherwise the game turns to hogwash and poppycock halfway through because it was rushed out the door.

Other than that, they're great games! They've been on my replay list for a while, doing so when I'm done with BG:EE.
    mibblesBoozillaArveragusGrieg
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I enjoyed those two games. My favorite moment?

On top of a very tall building, I was acosted by three thugs. "Give us 500 credits and we'll let you live." *Force pursuade* "You want to give me all your credits, instead." "Yes, please take all our credits." "Now, you want to jump off the top of this building." "Well, it is the quickest way to the bottom." *Thugs jump to their death*
  • Lady_CoraLady_Cora Member Posts: 3
    First 1 is the best Starwars game to date. 2nd 1 is far below par. It's not a finished game but worth the price you paid. I picked it up myself for the same price. Had the first 1 for a few years in so form or another. Also thanks for the guy 2 up. I've never plays KOTOR 2 with that mod and it might make it make sense now.
    BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The first KOTOR was one of the best games, ever. Not a lot of replayability for me, though. However, it's been so long, I'm about ready to spend a few bucks on a downloadable version and do it again.

KOTOR was an example of Bioware at its best, during its golden age, and, arguably the best adaptation of D&D-like roleplaying to the Star Wars universe ever done in a video game.
  • Corvus_MetusCorvus_Metus Member Posts: 19
    Download the Sith Lords Restoration Pack for KOTOR II.

I like both games, but I think the second is actually better. Kriea is one the best written characters in the history of video games. That alone makes the game amazing.
    Icallhimlecobra