Skip to content

So Evil Is Evil Or Arent We Evil Enough ?

lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
Just wondering.. I never played evil before in BG. So are the storyline changing radicaly ?
Are you suddenly on Sarevoks side ?
Or is just a play through like "good", because evil aint evil enough.. Meaning, if your evil, then nobody is on your side ?

Post edited by lordkim on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, even though I have no desire to play evil, the implementation of evil in BG and other rpg games is a problem, and evil players complain frequently and vociferously.

It's not just in BG - in rpg's in general, you usually only get the "evil equals being rude to everybody you talk to" stereotype.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Shandyr said:

Do you guys know of any other RPG where being evil is implemented well?

Planescape: Torment.

In most RPGs, as said above, 'evil' means 'be really rude.' There are some options available to an evil Nameless One, by contrast, which are more manipulative and downright soul-crushing in how awful they are.

I'll occasionally do an evil BG playthrough, but I don't ever want to do a really evil P:T run-through again. It just makes me feel too awful.

• MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2012
    Shandyr said:

Fallout New Vegas.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    Shandyr said:

It's worst in Neverwinter Nights 2 where evil means pretending to be good until the very end, where you can put off your mask and say "Hey all the good I've done so far was just so to make you think I'm good, but in truth I'm evil"

That was pretty lame. However they made up for it in their first Add-On.
    As far as I can remember you can be pretty evil in Mask of the Betrayer.

In defense of Neverwinter Nights 2, you can be evil the whole time, and still pick the normal ending. Nothing stops you from taking down the big bad guy at that point if you're evil. There's just also an evil-er option where you join the bad guy if you so choose.

That being said, I am against good/evil choices in games for the most part. It can't really be implemented well, because one of the following is pretty much guaranteed to happen.

1. Options that are counted as good or evil are highly debatable, and no one wants to be told that their worldview is "evil." For example, I remember I was pretty miffed that in Fable 2, you get evil points for killing the bandit leader after beating him who begs for his life (after he killed many, many people, and could very easily go back to that if not stopped). I'm fine with people having a different opinion, but when it's presented as a black and white, it becomes a problem

2. To avoid #1, evil is taken to an extreme so that it's pretty much not debatable. This basically ends up making evil reduced to puppy killing, orphan burning, old lady slapping lunatics. Infamous is a game like this.

So I pretty much dislike games that keep track of my alignment for one of those two reasons. I prefer games like Dragon Age, where you only have actions and consequences (and what your party thinks of them). The reputation system in BG is a bit better, just because it's what people think of you to a somewhat reasonable degree (although how they know if I kill a random isolated person, I'll never understand.)
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    What bugs me about the way evil is implemented in BG is that when I'm actually playing D&D, it's still possible to have a Good or Neutral aligned person who is for the most part an asshole. Most of the Evil in the game is either A. Just being an asshole and not really all that evil at all or B. KILLING PEOPLE AND EATING BABIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    The best evil characters should be undeniably EVIL, but, you know, SUBTLE about it, and usually not opposed to doing Good-aligned acts if it gets them something they want. Like, you know, not going oh hey this is the easiest way to get exactly what I want but I won't do it because ITS NOT EVIL ENOUGH.
    No subtlety.
    I just play good aligned characters.
    The only evil you can accurately roleplay and still be considered really evil by game standards, you know, low rep and all, evil party members not complaining like little bitches, that sort of thing, is Chaotic Evil bordering on Chaotic Stupid
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Pantalion said:

If you're evil, Sarevok still wants to kill you, therefore you still fight him out of self-interest. You also finish most of the same quests. You're just a bit of a dick about it.

This makes me think of this (again):
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/images/alignment.jpg

:-)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    KOTOR had some differences in the story for good or evil. BG could have, but programming wasn't to that point. Essentially, you take over Iron Throne, etc... That's not in the game, but would be in a modern creation, I would think. NOT that I think BG:EE will have that.

Good and evil need separate story lines and rationales, which really grows games.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

What bugs me about the way evil is implemented in BG is that when I'm actually playing D&D, it's still possible to have a Good or Neutral aligned person who is for the most part an asshole. Most of the Evil in the game is either A. Just being an asshole and not really all that evil at all or B. KILLING PEOPLE AND EATING BABIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    The best evil characters should be undeniably EVIL, but, you know, SUBTLE about it, and usually not opposed to doing Good-aligned acts if it gets them something they want. Like, you know, not going oh hey this is the easiest way to get exactly what I want but I won't do it because ITS NOT EVIL ENOUGH.
    No subtlety.
    I just play good aligned characters.
    The only evil you can accurately roleplay and still be considered really evil by game standards, you know, low rep and all, evil party members not complaining like little bitches, that sort of thing, is Chaotic Evil bordering on Chaotic Stupid

I really agree with this a lot. The one time played an evil game was soloing with a NE cleric-mage and I did evil smartly, which proved an interesting challenge in itself. But to just go around wantonly killing is actually kind of... well, as you said, stupid. I mean, some players may enjoy fighting Flaming Fist Wizards everywhere they go, but I would think that puts a kind of drag on the game after a while. Anyway, it is possible to play 'smart' evil but it does requires creativity and subtlety.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203

Evil isn't very well implemented in the BG series. At all. Mostly it amounts to 'do most everything the same, but act like a douche the whole time.' When there are evil solutions to quests, typically you get less experience and a smaller reward for completing them that way. You pay grossly inflated prices at shops and, if your rep is too low, everyone is hostile to you.

You can at least compensate the reward loss by killing Flaming Fist or bounty hunters (or whoever you like), as you have XP and stuff from them...
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2012
    You can play a very evil character in the BG series, it's just that your choices/actions don't get supported by in-game events or NPC dialogue. This makes sense considering how in general society "evil" actions are more than just frowned upon, which is why "evil" people tend to keep their operations secret. One must also consider how the real world is going to react if developers change a game's overall stance towards evil - "And tonight's news: Video Game features a very graphic cutscene where the PC, grinning evilly, pushes a screaming, panicking, perfectly rendered cg of a human child back into the arms of a rampaging Pit Fiend" .

Bottomline is that as far as "true evil" is concerned, the game's main reaction is indifference, unless you go on a rampage (and what reaction were you expecting, exactly?) so there's really nothing that's stopping you from playing as a morally disturbed/depraved individual except the limits of your own imagination.