Skip to content

Pre-load Filesize/Server Bandwidth

Why is the file size so big? Wasn't the full install only 300MB for all 5 discs? The new features and areas amount to 1.5GB? Also, the download speed for the pre-load is terrible, fluctuating between 7KBp/s and 0, and I'm trying to pre-load after a day of it being up, right? What happens when *everyone* tries to download the last 500MB on release day?

PS. I am in no way complaining about the filesize or download speed, I have plenty of HDD space and can wait patiently for the game, just wanted to ask a couple questions and give some food for thought.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Gog.com's install is at least a gig. So I think the amount of GB (which is just under 1.3GB up to 1.8 on the release date) is reasonable given the new areas and given that it is on an improved engine.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Keep in mind Fate that these problems have been happening all night, but that this is a small company based out of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Right now its 4:24am local time in Edmonton, so you might have to wait until they wake up before you can get any help :)
  • FateAscendsFateAscends Member Posts: 63
    Fellow Canadians? Even more glad that I pre-ordered! :D
  • DaywalkerDaywalker Member Posts: 37
    @FateAscends i got the same problem as you concerning the slow downloadrate.
    I'm not blaming anybody, i think these guys are doing a great job, but i wonder if everybody has these slow download problems? Im downloading at a rate of 5 kb/s, so the entire game will take about 2 days to finish downloading - heh. Is there any reason to this? Servers are full or are the connections to europe just bad? ;-) I already tried closing everthing but the download but that wont increase my dlrate..
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    In Portugal I got up to 100kb/s yesterday night, so I don't think its a Europe thing.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I'm in the UK and it only took an hour or so to download.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @Tanthalas, @allhailsteve: did you use the beamdog client? maybe it's the TCP/UDP ports issue as mentioned by Blixx here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6817/pre-loading-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-has-begun/p12
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I used the standalone BGEE one.
    It seems to work better using the standalone BGEE installer. Why was there such a choice in the first place?
  • MortesMortes Member Posts: 45
    @Ignatius because people asked for a standalone installer. Many people already have Steam or Origin and the likes installed and are unwilling to install just another distribution platform. Especially if they have to install it for a single game only.
    @Mortes: thanks. I don't believe this is made clear during the purchasing process, the natural course of action seems to be going through the beamdog installer...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Ignatius

You should have got an e-mail telling you about the installer.
    @Tanthalas: thanks, will check mail later. I believe my issue is related to TCP/UDP ports and I am not sure I am able to change that config. Will need to try a workaround solution (torrent?). Cheers.