Skip to content

Ammo depletion discontinues acquisition

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited November 2012 in Fixed
If you have a stack of arrows, bolts or bullets that runs out, the game will switch to the next available ammunition, but will discontinue an Attack if presently attacking.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Boaster - even if the desired behavior is pretty obvious here, could you add it nonetheless as per Cameron's bug reporting instructions? It will increase the chances that this bug is taken care of.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    edited July 2012
    The situation: I'm attacking a hostile target (manually, not by script). I have a bow with two arrows remaining in a stack. I shoot one arrow and I'm down to one arrow. Now, I shoot the final arrow and the bow switches to the next stack of arrows.

Desired Effects:
    Once the stack runs out, it switches to the next stack of arrows (it actually does this) and continues attacking the target (but does not do this).

Actual Effect:
    Once a stack of arrows runs out and switches, target acquisition is terminated. My bow/arrow fighter just stands there looking cool as if he doesn't need to shoot anymore, cuz he's just so cool and stuff. Notice the sun glasses? :P

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Was just thinking along the lines of this same issue this morning, curiously enough... Total annoyance and total agreement...
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Also the same for darts in the quick weapon slot ,if possible it should automatically change to the next stack of darts and keep attacking. And if it could automatically default to the ranged weapon in the quick weapon slot after you finish all your melf's minute meteors that would be super.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Boaster, I have nothing against you but I don't see where is the bug ?

There is an option to avoid this situation :
    Game > automatic pause > unusable weapon.

For my part I don't want the game switches automatically to the next stack, because I don't use magical ammo on weak creatures (kobold, xvart, hobgoblin...).
    What about if it auto-switches from one ammo slot to another, but only to the ammo type you're currently using? That is, if you have one ammo slot with +1 arrows and two slots of regular arrows and then start firing with the regular arrows, when the first ammo slot of regular arrows depletes, it auto-switches to the next set of regular arrows, but if that slot is exhausted also, it just stops. That way you can still get the advantage of not having to go back into inventory with every score of arrows/ bolts/ stones while having the option of carrying different ammo that requires specific manual selection.
    @Bhryaen I like this idea.

But also, I think it would be appropriate that AFTER you run out of the one type of arrow in the quiver slots that you're using that it automatically takes an Ammunition of the same exact type that you're using from your inventory and automatically fills it into the quiver.

So for example, your three slots contain [1] Acid Arrows (1), [2] +1 Arrows (13), [3] Acid Arrows (20). You use the last Acid Arrow in slot [1], then it automatically switches to the Acid Arrows in slot [3]. Additionally, if you run out of your Acid Arrows in Slot [3], you will automatically pull from your inventory any Acid Arrows you have and place them into Slot [3] where Acid Arrows were last used.

Bare in mind, the key words are **automatically** and **from inventory**.

This would be the perfect situation to have to satisfy players who might want a stack increase beyond 40, or have an unlimited Quiver situation.

Call this feature "auto re-load" for simplicity's sake.
    @Boaster
    Hm... I like your idea as well, but actually what I described is as far as it's gotten thus far. I can't think of an example where a player wouldn't want it to just load from inventory as well, but... Hm...

The other ammo switch mentioned by @James is still pending the right opportunity to work in...
    Having ammo from inventory automatically loading into the quiver will mean less time switching screens. It certainly still leaves the option in for people to go into inventory.

Perhaps a per-character option would be good. A little check box or something next to the quiver slots with a tooltip reading "automatically reload ammo?"
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    OP fixed.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Boaster's way or Bhryaen's way? Nice catch. Thanks.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Bhryaen's way.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Fair. Thanks.
    This works nicely. I noticed stack sizes of ammo have been increased.

Also, the ammo depleting discontinuing acquisition seems to have been addressed on a couple of tests I do awhile back.