Skip to content

Can we take a character from the original BG2+TOB and import into BG1:EE?

Just curious as I barely started a character before hearing about this (best. week. ever!), I can Skyrim and Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 it-up to distract myself I suppose. But as a technical curiosity I'm wondering if I could take a freshly made BG 2 character and import him into the enhanced edition. Even though that'd make him level 7 (probably 9ish by the time I get EE which is probably right on release day :D) so I don't know if that would ruin the game experience or not :P

That aside, is is technically possible, if so, could I get a general explanation as to why not? Again, more of a technical curiosity, I'm not a programmer but I'm a geek and I'm so into the idea of the enhanced edition I'd wonder what would make it so the original bg1 or bg2 couldn't have a character imported over.

Thanks so much, and sorry if this got posted before. :)

Comments

• DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    edited November 2012
    As simple answer no, as BG2 ain't BG. You couldn't transfer a BG2 character into original BG let alone BG:EE. I don't know can you import the one from original BG 1 into EE but with 100% certanty I can tell you that you can't import from original BG 2 to BG1:EE.

As for programing issue, from my memory, there was a blockade because some classes (aka all those that weren't in BG 1 and are in BG 2) and spells (same thing) couldn't work properly or be able to work in BG1. So they just blocked the pathways.

Not to mention it would give FAR unfair advantage to play a lvl 8+ character in a game designed to go from level 1 to 8 with a level 8 cap.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    There is no importing of characters or save games into BG:EE. Too much has changed. You will be able to import from BG:EE into BG2:EE.
  • Right on, thanks for the comments. I can't believe I didn't ask the other side of my question which was can we import BG1 EE to BG 2 vanilla? I'd imagine not.

I know it would be an unfair advantage to do so but I planned on editing him down beforehand.

Anyway, this all makes sense.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That being said, the file format itself hasn't changed. So if you want to experiment, there's nothing that directly prevents you from doing that. But don't expect it to work, and if it does work, don't expect it to work without any issues.
  • I may give it a try. I'm sure someone will come up with a Shadowkeeper: Enhanced Edition or Shadowkeeper 2.0 or something along those lines so it can open up some small editing, not that I want to cheat my way to an easy game I just love breaking the occasional rule about race, class and alignment.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Short answer is YES! You may need to strip off your gear but you can import a ToB character into BGEE. Most of the high level spells wont work either. So you may want to fully strip them down if you really want to do that.
  • Oh really? Well, maybe I'll continue my Ranger/Cleric that I just started again after a long hiatus. Anyone know how many extra portraits we are getting or if we can add portraits? (I suppose I could comb the forums over and check to see if this has been answered :P)
  • nullsetnullset Member Posts: 38
    Tried importing BG1 char and game bombed. Same with BG2. HOWEVER! Created a BG1:EE char; copied .cha and .bio to BG2; added the books and boots of speed and saved; then copied the result back to BG1:EE. That worked!!! Tried this with BG1, but the BG1 bombed.
  • PshlosPshlos Member Posts: 41
    tob to bgee works just fine