Skip to content

cleric kits; actually they are not kits

what about multiclass clerics, they have to choose god to cast a spell but game dont let it..

exp: Fighter/cleric of talos

we must choose god whatever pure or multi class build i think

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ya. Honestly I would dig having a kit for a ridiculous number of Clerics, but that's tough. It's more a tabletop roleplay thing than a video game. Much easier to pull off that way.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I'd love to have a slew of different kits for the many deities in FR. One of my favorite things about the setting is the various pantheons. That said, there's so many deities it would be unreasonable (I think) to make kits for them all. I would definitely be behind overhaul adding 2 or 3 new ones but I don't think it's in the cards. But, if they were to add new deity based cleric kits, which deities should they be?
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    @GoodSteve

Bane, Moradin, and Tempus
    @Millardkillmoore

Why not Cyric, Garl Glittergold, and Garagos? :P
    edited November 2012
    @GoodSteve

We have a Chaotic Evil god already, I didn't feel Cyric and Garagos are necessary. Maximizing the amount of alignments supported by cleric kits seemed more of a priority.

I'd be fine with Garl as the lawful good god, but many gnome players seem to choose mages. A lot of dwarf players seem to like clerics and I wanted them to get the chief Dwarven deity as the Lawful Good god.

Tempus is Chaotic Neutral, providing a nice contrast to Helm's Lawful Neutral, and a war god fits well with the One-Man Army adventurer that CHARNAME becomes. Tempus has such broad appeal to such a large group of possible characters across the alignment spectrum that I thought him a good choice.

Bane is one of the biggest, toughest bad guys in Forgotten Realms and imho Lawful Evil is much more interesting than Chaotic Evil. A Cleric for him seems like fun.
    edited November 2012
    Garagos is actually Chaotic Neutral at the time of the BG series. It wasn't until crappy 4th edition that he became Chaotic Evil.

By that reasoning we could have dozens of different candidates for the missing alignments which was the point of my silly response, really.

Bane is a decent addition I suppose but if he were to be included I'd think Torm would make the better choice as the LG deity, especially since he already has ties to some characters in the story, Keldorn and the Order of the most Radiant Heart, namely.

But by that reasoning perhaps Arvoreen should be the LG deity....
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'd like real cleric kits, not just priests of a certain faith (which actually is the norm, but this isn't implemented in BG). I'd love a barbarian-priest or an arcane hierophant or something like that, with actually different mechanics. Failing that, give us more faiths :)

Bane would be great, as would be Sune and Mask.
    edited November 2012
    @GoodSteve

Tempus is still a war god, but has broader appeal than Garagos. I think that Tempus would work for a wider variety of character types. Given that there are few enough cleric kits, making sure they aren't too niche seems like a good plan.

Torm might fit too, but Helm is pretty similar and at least one non-human god seems like a good idea.
    Post edited by Millardkillmoore on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I wouldn't mind seeing cleric kits of all the gods of the setting on top of kits like the other classes have. Like, clerics that lose the heavy armor and some HP but gain more spellcasting. Like a cleric done wizard style.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I guess the best way to do it is add kits for all the deities the NPCs worship, then work from there - similar to what Divine Remix did. I'd like to see a Mask kit.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

I'd like real cleric kits, not just priests of a certain faith

Agreed, actual cleric kits would be nice.

Adding more "Priest of..." kits, no thanks. I'd prefer time be spent making kits for classes that don't have a bunch of kits already.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think cleric "kits" can be placed easily (as easily as writing script that is) in the game.

Have one NPC (lets say a priest of Oghma in Candlekeep) converse with Charname about religion and give him a choice of deity based on alignment, race and maybe stats (for example someone with 4 CHR shouldn't be worshiping Sune). Have the game generate an amulet or holy symbol based on choice with one minor attribute and one charge per day item put all restrictions for wearing it in place and more deities are now added. If a player choose one of the basic kits, the NPC would just give him a generic amulet.
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    I think they should maybe just keep the current kits, but maybe considering adding an option to pick your god. That way they won't have to make a whole bunch of new abilities and everyone can pick a deity they like.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Here is a PDF with a list of Kits that were made for BG1/2. Under Clerics there is a wonderful collection of kits for different Gods, Shar, Cyric, Kossuth. Some very good ideas there too.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    There are not enough cleric "kits". There are like 3 of them? And there are like hundred of gods...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I basically agree with this.. They shouldnt count as kits. The extra spell should be a bonus for whatever god you chose, and a bunch of new kits should be created in thier place.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Being that bards and clerics are my favourite classes, I love this idea. It would be great to bring in a variation of domains into BG. Love the flavour that brings.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Quartz said:

Ya. Honestly I would dig having a kit for a ridiculous number of Clerics, but that's tough. It's more a tabletop roleplay thing than a video game. Much easier to pull off that way.

<.< Divine Remix says your wrong.
  • butcheredbutchered Member Posts: 16
    @ajwz exactly, they don't really even seem like kits. Just a small perk related to a deity you chose.

Having real kits, with bonuses strong enough to make you think long and hard about dual class, vs pure.

I always thought, having grown up in candlekeep, that Oghma would be a logical choice. Or perhaps Deneir//Milil/Gond
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I don't know about you, but adding either a "Insanely overpowered combat buff", a "Super Sword +3" or "Absolute immunity to all elements and misslies" to a level one multiclass... well, that's kinda overpowered and unbalanced.

Not to mention the spells that they get too - well, aside from hold undead which isn't that useful, level one true sight and lightning bolt is REALLY BADLY OVERPOWERED for single class clerics, let alone for multiclasses!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

I don't know about you, but adding either a "Insanely overpowered combat buff", a "Super Sword +3" or "Absolute immunity to all elements and misslies" to a level one multiclass... well, that's kinda overpowered and unbalanced.

Not to mention the spells that they get too - well, aside from hold undead which isn't that useful, level one true sight and lightning bolt is REALLY BADLY OVERPOWERED for single class clerics, let alone for multiclasses!

It just means the kits themselves need to be balanced with the edition of a God System. If it happened, it would need to be a complete rework, sort of like Divine Remix (If I remember correctly)

Though... there sphere system is awesome, it leaves a lot to be desired in some cases, as some important spheres have little to no spells in them, or just weak and terrible ones.

Massive job, would be awesome.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    GoodSteve said:

I'd love to have a slew of different kits for the many deities in FR. One of my favorite things about the setting is the various pantheons. That said, there's so many deities it would be unreasonable (I think) to make kits for them all. I would definitely be behind overhaul adding 2 or 3 new ones but I don't think it's in the cards. But, if they were to add new deity based cleric kits, which deities should they be?

I think something that'd be neat is if they actually added Cleric KITS. Some of them existed.

That said, if they decided to add new diety kits, I think at most you'd do one for each specific alignment. LG, LN and CE are all handled already. Considering the NPCs who join and the locations in the game, Shar, Garl Glittergold, Tymora, Waukeen, Ilmater, Cyric, Barevan Wildwanderer, Moradin, Bane are all good candidates. Although I think Bane was actually dead while the events of Baldur's Gate was going on so maybe not him.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Does the Divine Remix mod not address the issue? 11 different cleric kits, divine magic schools....