Skip to content

Bards

I would like to take a bard with me and I will be playing as a cavalier. Which would be the best to take with me?

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    As for the 2 bard NPC's that already exist?

Or are you speaking of kits?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @nemesis, BG1 doesn't give you many choices. You have Garrick and Eldoth. Garrick will get along with your lawful good cavalier, especially with the changes made to neutral character reactions, but Eldoth is evil, and is going to cause you problems.

That leaves you with Garrick. He's funny and interesing to have around, but he has poor stats and is really kind of a lousy bard. You can use him to identify items, back up a few arcane spells if you can get him to learn any, and have him fire his crossbow. People who want a power-party don't use him.

I wouldn't use his song, because plain bardsong doesn't do anything but protect from fear, (unless they fixed it to Do What It Says On the Tin), and you have a cleric spell that does that better.

Bards are really only good when you use their kits - skald, blade, jester. That means you have to play one yourself if you want one.

I like to play a skald, just so I can be doing something unique from the rest of the party, and I think the bonuses are good, plus it suits me from a roleplaying perspective to stay out of direct combat.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Bards as a rule are pretty terrible in bg1. Garrick is arguably the worst npc in the game, and eldoth isn't much better. you could roll a bard yourself and take Ajantis, which would be the best bet.

between the two, take eldoth. he can at least create poison arrows, a pretty awesome ability. however, you are a paladin and he is evil. In other words, if you're set on bards, you have to choose between evil and useless.

@nemesis, BG1 doesn't give you many choices. You have Garrick and Eldoth. Garrick will get along with your lawful good cavalier, especially with the changes made to neutral character reactions, but Eldoth is evil, and is going to cause you problems.

That leaves you with Garrick. He's funny and interesing to have around, but he has poor stats and is really kind of a lousy bard. You can use him to identify items, back up a few arcane spells if you can get him to learn any, and have him fire his crossbow. People who want a power-party don't use him.

I wouldn't use his song, because plain bardsong doesn't do anything but protect from fear, (unless they fixed it to Do What It Says On the Tin), and you have a cleric spell that does that better.

Bards are really only good when you use their kits - skald, blade, jester. That means you have to play one yourself if you want one.

I like to play a skald, just so I can be doing something unique from the rest of the party, and I think the bonuses are good, plus it suits me from a roleplaying perspective to stay out of direct combat.

This is why Rogue Rebalancing is a necessity!...I am going to be so sad until it is updated T.T
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    If you make a custom group, a skald is nice to have in BG1 for the song bonuses. Otherwise bards are the weakest class at lower levels.
    Since I love to play bards, I certainly do appreciate the Rogue Rebalancing mod, for sure. I can live without it, though, at least in BG1, because vanilla skaldsong bonuses of +2 to AC, hit and damage are still very useful bonuses in BG1.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    There is one thing however a plain Bard will excel at: using special items. IIRC, they can use any wand/scroll/potion - there are lots of them, very powerful. While your other party members cast their spells, pelt their arrows or draw their swords, having one bard using wands/scrolling or potions can be extremely efficient.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Pick Garrick just for sake of his soundbites.
    edited November 2012
    @Ignatius, I agree that wand use is one of the bard's strong points. The trouble is, mages can do that too, plus have all their spell slots, so it's hard to justify taking Garrick when you could take Dynaheir, Xan, Xzar, or Edwin and get so much more bang for the buck.

There is one more thing to put in the bard's plus column, though: his fast leveling. A lot of people don't think about this, but a bard can be up to level 10 by the end of BG1, which means, his Chromatic Orb can potentially petrify Sarevok. Also, his higher levels give his Dispel Magic, Remove Magic, and Fireballs more oomph.

EDIT: Edwin, not Eldoth! Duh.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624

@Ignatius, I agree that wand use is one of the bard's strong points. The trouble is, mages can do that too, plus have all their spell slots, so it's hard to justify taking Garrick when you could take Dynaheir, Xan, Xzar, or Edwin and get so much more bang for the buck.

You're right. But then if I'm taking a back-line character mostly for special items and occasionally a few spells (because I already have another arcane caster in my party), I'll take into account the fact that Garrick can use a short bow while Xsar will be stuck with a sling. I quite fancy having a Garrick alternating between his short bow equipped with magic arrows (some of which are very powerful) / a shot with the Wand of Sleep or Wand of Heavens / an offensive spell here and there / or a battle winning high-level scroll. It's a fun role to play because it is so versatile.

There is one more thing to put in the bard's plus column, though: his fast leveling. A lot of people don't think about this, but a bard can be up to level 10 by the end of BG1, which means, his Chromatic Orb can potentially petrify Sarevok. Also, his higher levels give his Dispel Magic, Remove Magic, and Fireballs more oomph.

Ah! that's a very good point indeed.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Bards usually have the most effective dispelling spells because of their high levels.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Garrick makes an okay archer with the Dex gloves and his poison arrows
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Agreed bards are probably the single most powerful class in BG. If it weren't for the fact that most don't take advantage of their jack of all trades functionality bards would be undisputed kings.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Agreed bards are probably the single most powerful class in BG. If it weren't for the fact that most don't take advantage of their jack of all trades functionality bards would be undisputed kings.

They float like a bee and sting like a butterfly.
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    @Space_hamster - true, but sadly I can't request a specific song, like something from Monty Python's; knights of the round table :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    It would actually be cool if there was a mod to make the bard actually play songs during battle, and not just a 3 note chord. ;)
    The OP didn't really start this thread to discuss the bard class in general. Rather, he said he wanted to play a cavalier, and that he was interested in taking a bard npc.

So it was really a question about Garrick and Eldoth, although, I suppose that does invite discussion about bards in general. We already had a thread about it, though.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I say take Eldoth and see how long it goes well. If someone gets hurt, go to Beregost and recruit Garrick :)

That being said, I'd love it if there were additional bards in BG:EE.
    Eldoth at least has a less annoying personality than Garrick...

Potato tomato

Eldoth is a prick.

Potato tomato

Eldoth is a prick.
    Well he *is* evil - reminds me of the chart here: http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap4.htm#align

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Garrick is arguably the worst npc in the game, and eldoth isn't much better.

Wait I thought the general consensus was that gameplay-wise, Alora was the worst NPC in the game, due to being near fully leveled when you get her with all her points spent in sucky ways and the most abysmal HP in the freaking game. Garrick doesn't even come near that. He's actually pretty useful. Just...not as useful as some of the other NPC's.

Potato tomato

Eldoth is a prick.
    Well he *is* evil - reminds me of the chart here: http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap4.htm#align

XD Aww love it.
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    I think Ill either take Garrick or go multiplayer and bring a skald, there has to be someone to sing of my deeds. Thanks for all the input.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I happen to like Garrick's personality, so I use him every so often.

I use him to identify items, carry the gems, potions, scrolls, extra ammo, cast a few choice spells, and in battle I most often have him sing Bard Song. If Garrick sings Bard Song then the party's cleric need not allocate spell slots on Protection From Fear or Remove Fear.

The priest is mainly going to spend slots on healing early on, and in my games also casting buffing spells for major battles. Eventually the priest will cast offensive spells. But anyway, it's not for nothin' that a bard can help free up the cleric to cast more spells by using Bard Song.

I will sometimes have Garrick use the crossbow to fire bolts of lightning and stunning, if it seems that the threat of an enemy mage casting Horror is negligible.