Skip to content

viconia

shredstallionshredstallion Member Posts: 21
Do you guys think viconia Devir will actually get a drow portrait this time?

Comments

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Viconia's portraits seem to fit the general pattern of drow portraits released for the Forgotten Realms world. I've read many books that take place there and the books invariably describe the drow as black, but the cover art usually contradicts this by showing their skin as some other color, such as a variation of purple.

It would make sense for them to just pick something and go with it, but if they follow the pattern of history, I doubt they will.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305

Do you guys think viconia Devir will actually get a romance/bouncy bouncy path for us?

Let's hope so.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    I definitely support more character portrait options. I had a huge collection, scoured from the internet over the years, for the original Baldur's Gate game. With regards to Drow skin color, I think the use of purple is an artistic choice to convey dark skin color, especially on a black background which many of the Forgotten Realms books have, such as the War of the Spider Queen series. If they used black on black, it might be "photo realistic", but not a very good picture, especially for selling books (or other products). Look at some of the other colors used in fantasy artwork and you will see a similar trend. It reminds me of the line in the first X-Men movie, "What were you expecting, yellow spandex?" What looks good in comic books doesn't look so good in real life on Hugh Jackman and vice versa.
  • shredstallionshredstallion Member Posts: 21
    Not that its a major issue but more of a detail issue ive had with bg games and early novels concerning drow, making drizzt look like an ugly old man. And with the whole x-men thing...notice how wolverine keeps getting taller and better looking as time goes on. Hollywood ruined him.
    Sulla said:

I definitely support more character portrait options. I had a huge collection, scoured from the internet over the years, for the original Baldur's Gate game. With regards to Drow skin color, I think the use of purple is an artistic choice to convey dark skin color, especially on a black background which many of the Forgotten Realms books have, such as the War of the Spider Queen series. If they used black on black, it might be "photo realistic", but not a very good picture, especially for selling books (or other products). Look at some of the other colors used in fantasy artwork and you will see a similar trend. It reminds me of the line in the first X-Men movie, "What were you expecting, yellow spandex?" What looks good in comic books doesn't look so good in real life on Hugh Jackman and vice versa.

Sulla