Skip to content

Wine?

Sooo since the OS X version is delayed a while, I was wondering... any way that the PC version would be playable on my mac using Wine? I'm about to finish playing Planescape Torment this way, and I figure BG would probably be similar, right?

Comments

• drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    It should be playable through Crossover Games.
  • oskargargasoskargargas Member Posts: 14
    Original BG works great on Mac and other platforms using Wine. I have BG + BG2 + BG Trilogy mod running great!
    I'd recommend pure wine in oppose to crossover as it's free. CXG is just wine with a bit nicer UI for 50$ or so..
  • More86More86 Member Posts: 13
    Any luck running the game on Wine, Crossover etc?
  • oskargargasoskargargas Member Posts: 14
    As I said original one is working great. Dunno if EE works too but as I know wine there should't be any problems. It uses OpenGL and is just a minor refresh to the original BG2 engine version which works great.
  • hmleehmlee Member Posts: 5
    It installed fine via Crossover. Whether there's performance issues I don't know, about to go try to start a game...
  • hmleehmlee Member Posts: 5
    So I managed through all the cutscenes and character creation, but actual gameplay is pretty much impossible at the moment. Waaaaay too slow. Weird because Planescape worked just fine for me a few days ago using Wine.
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    @hmlee If you have time would you mind explaining how you installed this? Every time I attempt to install BGEE the launcher crashes =/
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    /bump
  • EarlOfBakedgoatEarlOfBakedgoat Member Posts: 7
    It works good for me in Wine. I install the game with a Virtual Box (Win8 trial on it) and then move the files to the Wine's Folder. I use Wineskin with latest engine available.
    LazarusNine
  • syntxrrsyntxrr Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Wine works perfect. Wineskin 2.5.8 using latest [WS9 1.5.18] Engine. I've tested on a Mac OS X 10.8.2 on a MacBook with an NVIDIA card, a Mac Mini with an Intel HD 4000 card (this required an install of Xquartz, and selecting the option in wineskin wrapper to run the system installed one instead of the embedded one, as well as switching the fullscreen mode from Automatic to Override), and I've now tested it running on a brand newly built Hackintosh running an NVIDIA GTX 680 card. Played great. Tested it playing over the internet with another Wine wrapped BGEE. Running great. I've loaded in BG Trilogy via Wine before, which I have to say was awesome, but the archaic loading screens for the original Infinity Engines over the internet [played via Remobo to create a virtual LAN network] or even single-player loads are slow. That's not Wine though, they were always slow. One great thing about BGEE is that the loading time is incredibly faster, they essentially killed the loading screens... remember those? Dreadful. Even on modern systems they still lag. Don't wait for the Mac version, just Wineskin it.
    LazarusNine
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Does the launcher / downloader work in Wineskin?
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2012
    @syntxrr Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm really looking forward to trying this once I get home later today. I have had some luck wrapping games I've purchased off GOG. I haven't yet tried BG:EE - perhaps I'll try my friend's copy on his Mac first. I'm very intrigued by the prospect of wrapping BGT as well! I was just gifted BG2 (already had BG1) and installed BGT with great success - surprised by how easy it was. It will be great playing it on the Mac side.

EDIT: I've just tested BGEE in WineSkin (Engine WS9 1.5.19), and it works really well. You need to be sure that you use the 'Baldur.exe' file from the 'DATA' folder rather than the 'BGEE.exe' in the main directory to get it to work...from what I can tell. The game plays extremely well. The test machine is a rMBP with both integrated GPU (Intel HD 4000) and a Nvidia 650GT 1GB discrete card.

@Cerevant I cannot get the launcher to work, as you might have noticed with my comment above. However, it hasn't affected gameplay at all. I will likely hold out for the Mac version, as I'm content with the iPad version of BGEE and I am enjoying BG1/BG2 using the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod.
    Post edited by LazarusNine on
    syntxrr
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I was asking @syntxrr, because he said it worked perfectly. I thought it was important to clarify for those who do not have Windows to start with.
  • syntxrrsyntxrr Member Posts: 2
    Cerevant said:

I was asking @syntxrr, because he said it worked perfectly. I thought it was important to clarify for those who do not have Windows to start with.

I have to agree with @LazarusNine, I just run Wineskin pointed at Baldur.exe

• DagonDagon Member Posts: 1
    Works on 10.5.8 Macbook (2008 model) with Intel Graphics chipset that gives some games issues.
  • SornSorn Member Posts: 41
    Doesn't work for me, I keep getting
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\BGEEInstaller.exe"
    as an error :/
    Irritating since I don't have windows, so I'm trying to deal with the launcher - can't point it straight at Baldur.exe
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    it works for me (i have NVIDIA 9400) but @Sorn try to installe it on a windows machine and them copy/paste and juste use wine to launch the game (i am actually using PlayOnMac = almost wine + real control panel).
  • francisthomas34francisthomas34 Member Posts: 1
    syntxrr said:

Wine works perfect. Wineskin 2.5.8 using latest [WS9 1.5.18] Engine. I've tested on a Mac OS X 10.8.2 on a MacBook with an NVIDIA card, a Mac Mini with an Intel HD 4000 card (this required an install of Xquartz, and selecting the option in wineskin wrapper to run the system installed one instead of the embedded one, as well as switching the fullscreen mode from Automatic to Override), and I've now tested it running on a brand newly built Hackintosh running an NVIDIA GTX 680 card. Played great. Tested it playing over the internet with another Wine wrapped BGEE. Running great. I've loaded in BG Trilogy via Wine before, which I have to say was awesome, but the archaic loading screens for the original Infinity Engines over the internet [played via Remobo to create a virtual LAN network] or even single-player loads are slow. That's not Wine though, they were always slow. One great thing about BGEE is that the loading time is incredibly faster, they essentially killed the loading screens... remember those? Dreadful. Even on modern systems they still lag. Don't wait for the Mac version, just Wineskin it.

@syntxrr is it possible for you to do a step-by-step for Wineskin (or Wine via Terminal) installation process for BGEE? I was waiting for the Mac version but it seems like it will still take a while, plus I figured it's worthwhile to learn Wineskin for the future anyway, so I bought the Windows version. I tried (and afterwards realized you already said this) running the installer .exe but that didn't work.

I read that you said we have to download it on a Windows then wrap it with Wineskin but I'm not sure how to do that exactly. I do have access to a Win PC and I downloaded the BGEEInstaller.exe and ran it, should I login with my Beamdog credentials and then go through the process, or should I copy the folder contents now to Mac? What do I do after I copy them, I'm not quite sure how to wrap it with Wineskin.

Thanks!

• StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Dagon said:

Works on 10.5.8 Macbook (2008 model) with Intel Graphics chipset that gives some games issues.

I'm on 10.5.8 as well (2009 MB pro), did you have to do anything special to make it work? I have previously tried Planescape and not had it work since Leopard isn't supported in newer Wine versions. I don't want such a let down again :(