Skip to content

Custom Portraits and Voice Sets?

Hi! I was wondering if it's possible to put in custom portraits and voice sets, and if so how to do that.
MurrayConfederacymi16reisen

Comments

• theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I too cannot find a way to do that. Perhaps it's not implemented yet? seems as if that's the case, anyway.
  • TalonfireTalonfire Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Custom voice sets are possible, just put the voice set(s) into Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds. Of course, if you're not playing the English version of the game en_US will be something else.

I have no idea about portraits, there isn't even a Custom button at the selection screen making choosing a custom portrait impossible as far as I can tell.
  • WeirdoWeirdo Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    I placed my custom portraits in the BGEE folder under documents, in a custom folder labelled "portraits", which allows them to display in game... but they are not the right dimensions, so it seems that BGEE uses different portrait dimensions.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2012
    Weirdo said:

I placed my custom portraits in the BGEE folder under documents, in a custom folder labelled "portraits", which allows them to display in game... but they are not the right dimensions, so it seems that BGEE uses different portrait dimensions.

Dimensions should be:

Large 210 x 330
    Medium 169 x 266
    Small 54 x 84

I don't see how to get them to display for character creation, though. I put a file labelled "portraits" under the following folders and neither did anything:

BGEE/data/portraits

and

BGEE/data/00766/portraits
    lordkim
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Go to your Documents. There's a Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition -file. Create a file named Portraits and put the pictures there. Then the Custom Portrait -button appears.
    Mortianna
  • WeirdoWeirdo Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
  • M9ikeM9ike Member Posts: 13
    I have no documents folder in the game... ?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The new portrait dimensions aren't accurately described in the manual... Here they are again (and I'm working on getting the manual's text fixed):

- XXXXXXXS.bmp (54x84, 200 dpi)
    - XXXXXXXM.bmp (169x266, 200 dpi)
    - XXXXXXXL.bmp (210x330, 200 dpi)

For sound sets, there's actually a .txt file in "Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds" that describes the exact naming convention required to get your voice set to show up in the character creation screen. I've already used this method to import the BG2 voice sets, and it worked flawlessly; just remember to rename the files, or you'll end up replacing the ones that are already in there. ;)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    it means my documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits

The exact path to my documents varies depending on your OS, but it is NOT within the game's installed directory.
    AHF
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @M9ike The Documents folder on your computer.
  • IluvatarIluvatar Member Posts: 30
    Where is that folder under win 7?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

it means my documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits

The exact path to my documents varies depending on your OS, but it is NOT within the game's installed directory.

Thanks!
    Nevermind, I found it. Don't you just hate when software installations scatter their stuff all over the place? *sigh*
    Thanks!
    It worked!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I was ninja'ed to it by several people, but for future reference, here's a thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits#latest
    Btw, I'm disappointed in the portraits. I was hoping for some new ones in the same style as the old ones but it seems they just ripped some old Icewind Dale portraits (I think) and put them in there. They don't even fit the theme at all.
  • EkajArmstroEkajArmstro Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Iluvatar said:

Btw, I'm disappointed in the portraits. I was hoping for some new ones in the same style as the old ones but it seems they just ripped some old Icewind Dale portraits (I think) and put them in there. They don't even fit the theme at all.

Close. They hired Jason Manley (the artist from IWD) to create some brand new ones.

There are rumors that they have someone else on staff secretly slaving away to create even more, but they're not ready yet.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Iluvatar said:

Nevermind, I found it. Don't you just hate when software installations scatter their stuff all over the place? *sigh*

Blame Microsoft.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Why do you need the Large version of the portrait? When I choose a custom portrait I only select the medium and small size.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited November 2012
    edit: rebooting fixed the problem..

are they bitmap files? The custom button is just below the portraits when selecting a portrait in the game.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    When I try to use a custom sound set I can mostly only hear one of the sounds in-game (the one that plays when you order a character to go somewhere, none of the selection sounds), even though they all play fine in the sound set selection screen. I just copied over my custom sound sets from BG2 and it's the same problem with all of them.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    How can I add the BG2 voice sets to BGEE?
    Worg said:

Why do you need the Large version of the portrait? When I choose a custom portrait I only select the medium and small size.

I figured it out. it automatically detects the "large" version and shows it during character creation. Seemingly not much else.
    Elendar said:

Iluvatar said:

Blame Microsoft.
    Microsoft has nothing to do with that, they merely provide these folders in their OS's. It's up to software devs to use them or not.

• theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    dib said:

When I try to use a custom sound set I can mostly only hear one of the sounds in-game (the one that plays when you order a character to go somewhere, none of the selection sounds), even though they all play fine in the sound set selection screen. I just copied over my custom sound sets from BG2 and it's the same problem with all of them.

I'm having this problem too. I double checked, and all of my sets are named properly and everything. They even work in the original BG just fine. Wonder what the problem could be?
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    I actually just attempted to put a handpicked set of Deekin voices from NWN1 into a voiceset within the sounds folder as Deekin1X.wav. Now, I remember ripping voice files from Icewind Dale 2 a long time ago, and that there was a different sort of .wav file or format used in game than what is typically used. I think that's the problem I have now because the .wav files I dropped into the sounds folder only make a quick "click" noise and that is it. Is there a quick and easy way to convert a file to the same format of .wave used by BGEE/BG2EE? Thanks in advance, and my apologies for reviving a year old topic to ask said question :)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Additionally, how would one go about adding the subtitles for your custom voicesets anyway, so that the game actually showed those as subtitles when they were played?

I am sure there is a file somewhere I can modify with Near Infinity, or some such, but I don't know exactly which :)