Skip to content

Extreme screen flickering

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
It's like the game thinks it's a strobe light. It's unplayable for me.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR: Screen, during all menus, flickers uncontrollably.

Expected Behavior: Screen remains stable and doesn't strobe at me.

Comments

• PhysicsdummyPhysicsdummy Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    It launches but the moment I hit any of the options the screen starts flickering like mad and the moment I hit quit, the game crashes.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • lurimaxlurimax Member Posts: 28
    I found the issue if you are running an ati card. Open catalyst control centre and go to the gaming tab. Under the 3D Application settings disable Triple buffering for OpenGL (should be at the bottom)
    kostasmakrinos
  • SolmyrSolmyr Member Posts: 4
    Just loaded up the game and I have the exact same issue. The whole screen flickers like crazy and the top half is completely white.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Could you also post your PC settings?
  • PhysicsdummyPhysicsdummy Member Posts: 18
    Sorry, Nvidia here GTX 660ti
    The third time I loaded up the game there was no flickering. Strange, haha.
    Seems to work, for now at least.
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    Win7 - 64bit - GTX 460
    About the same... The screen flickers a lot but most of it is "menu" based... (Or interface based). The game itself runs ok for me... (In the "playing" box I mean). (But all the menu and text flickers like a psychedelic show! It's painful for the eyes!).
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    I remember having that issue in the original BG games. Try disabling v-sync and triple buffering for BGEE.
    sandmanCCL
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited November 2012
    @Tanthalas:

Proc essor: AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.3 GHz
    RAM: 7 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

@Klatu: Where do I go do that? I admit I'm clueless with these sorts of things.
    edited November 2012
    @sandmanCCL
    Right click on your desktop, click "nVidia Control Panel".

Under "Manage 3d settings", set "Vertical sync" and "Triple buffering" to off, like in the image:

Don't forget to click "apply"!

sandmanCCLCheesebellySerieAvenger_teambg
    Totally fixed. Thanks, guys!

I vote we all give likes, agrees or insightfuls to all the help here!
    @sandmanCCL
    For posterity's sake: What exactly did fix the issue?
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2012
    @klatu:
    It works!!! Cool! Thanks!

@sandmanCCL:
    Just go in your NVIDIA config (right portion of your taskbar). You must create a new profile (point your Baldur.exe file) and just put vsync and triple buffering off...
    triclops41
    edited November 2012
    The cause of my flickering was the MSI Afterburner OSD, when I switched it off and restarted the game it disappeared.
    I could replicate the error by enabling Afterburner OSD, so I've double checked that Afterburner is the cause.
    klatu said:

@sandmanCCL

Disabling V-Sync and Triple Buffering.

Oddly, trying to disable just BGEE.exe didn't matter. I had to simply shut it off. Creating a profile for individual games didn't help.

klatu said:

@sandmanCCL

Disabling V-Sync and Triple Buffering.

Oddly, trying to disable just BGEE.exe didn't matter. I had to simply shut it off. Creating a profile for individual games didn't help.
    The BGEE.exe in the root folder is just the launcher, the games .exe file is located at ..\Data\00766\Baldur.exe
    I think you'll have to create a profile for that file instead.
    sandmanCCLAvenger_teambg
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    I just installed the latest beta drivers from ATI (12.11 Beta11) and I ran into this issue.

Disabling tripe buffering fixed it. Thanks a bunch to whoever came up with the solution!
  • MegamikeMegamike Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I have the exact same problem, but I can't figure out how to disable v-sync or triple buffering. My video card is: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    When I right-click on the desktop I can choose an option called "graphics options", but in the window that pops up I can only choose "on" for vertical sync and I can't find an option for triple buffering at all. Is it just that my video card can't disable those? I'm sorry, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to PCs.