Skip to content

Your feedback for BGEE.

DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
So what do you think about BGEE? Please, feel free to share your first impressions about the enhanced edition of our beloved game.

Even if I am still rolling for attributes, I can say that I am amazed. The intro, the menu, fonts etc... everything is perfect. Overhaul/Beamdog I salute you.
  1. Your feedback for BGEE.242 votes
    1. It is AWESOME. I have no words...
      49.17%
    2. Nothing fancy
      28.10%
    3. It's bad
      22.73%

Comments

• JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    I voted bad. I'm sure the game is fun but I can't play it, because everytime I click on anything in my inventory the mouse seems to crash. Waited so long to play, finally have it now and I can't really play the game. What a tease.
  • ShinkeiShinkei Member Posts: 5
    i voted bad also due to having such a pain getting it to run.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am actually inbetween it's awesome and nothing fancy. I voted awesome because I know eventually, it will get there.
  • jmanreisjmanreis Member Posts: 39
    Too many issues right now
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    Whether it is a movie, book, or game I am fairly reserved in my ratings. The word "awesome" loses its meaning when everything is awesome. So no, I would not say it is "awesome", but it is very enjoyable and I'm glad that the enhancement work and new content were completed. Even more, I am glad that this project has exceeded expectations by the developers and what that bodes for the future (BG2EE and BG3).
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    @AlexDeLarge, @Jaysama Of course there will be crushes and bugs. No product on the market is "finished" when released. A piece of software is constantly improving according to peoples' needs and requirements. But you have a point.
    Sulla said:

Whether it is a movie, book, or game I am fairly reserved in my ratings. The word "awesome" loses its meaning when everything is awesome. So no, I would not say it is "awesome", but it is very enjoyable and I'm glad that the enhancement work and new content were completed. Even more, I am glad that this project has exceeded expectations by the developers and what that bodes for the future (BG2EE and BG3).

I know what you mean, but come on... we are not talking about "everything ". We are talking about BGEE. The games I call awesome are no more than 10 or something... I guess and BG(EE) is amongst them. Cheers :)
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I voted awesome because there was no "Good, but not perfect" option. And I don't think it deserves to be called bad.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036

That poll needs more options. I would vote "It has good foundations, but still an unfinished product. Patches could make it amazing."

At the rate at which things are getting fixed atm, it'll get amazing soon enough. You can just vote amazing in anticipation. :)

Nice to see a lot of people are pleased with it though. As a beta tester it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

• EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    Game runs great, the fixes are great, and Neera and Rasaad are both amazing additions to the team so far! Very much looking forward to the future additions (dlc, BG2EE, and probably BG3)!
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2012
    Vote for awesome, although it is did not x) EE has it's own ups and downs. Some things are easy to fix and tuning (seriously, 1pp is a great mod, but my first move in EE was changing human male chainmails back to their original form), some things is definitely needs a patch. Seems like beta-testers crew take a nap instead of... well, you know. Testing ..) And I waiting for some important improvements and fixes - zoom-lock, custom-portrait windows-fix, fix for laggy movies (I actually like them, except for the first one), graphical issues, buttons and stuff. And perhaps for GUI mod...
    But, at the big picture, Beamdog seems alright. I like Neera's voice-acting and character (have some fears about that before release), music is true BG3-style, there are some nice portraits (a couple), and I believe a huge amount of work was done at the engine and "unhardware" some stuff.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    I had to vote bad because after trying for about 9 hours now I still can't play it.
  • PraemoriorPraemorior Member Posts: 10
    Is there an "official" thread for feedback, not bug reporting?

I disliked the font in the character creation. Too unclear I guess.

The UI also has really blurred icons, I really don't feel like I'm playing at 1920x1080. The sidebar icons I mean.

The BGT/TuTu mod looks better in my opinion, with the "Full HD" resolution patch. I like the BG2 UI more...or maybe it's just because I've gotten so used to it?

I voted 'Nothing fancy'.
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    I know it's rude, but I still can't play.
  • knowwheretorunknowwheretorun Member Posts: 30
    Given the poll choices, I will go with awesome as it is the closest choice to how I feel about the game.

Personally, I would never vote something bad based on technical issues because I believe a poll like this assumes the feedback is of a complete and working product.

Although, I don't feel as strongly about the liberal use of the word awesome like some others, I think I would vote; "I am very happy with BG:EE" if it were a choice in the poll.
  • laethynlaethyn Member Posts: 3
    I voted bad.
    One of the biggest features of the original, the fog of war, is gone? How on earth was that decision made?! Furthermore, how could the add map note have a bug (No text on the "Save" button)? How did that get through? I just don't get it. I regret spending the money.
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    Djimmy said:

@AlexDeLarge, @Jaysama Of course there will be crushes and bugs. No product on the market is "finished" when released. A piece of software is constantly improving according to peoples' needs and requirements. But you have a point.

I'm not complaining over "every game has it's bugs and glitches, get used to it", I'm complaining over "I can't play." This is a type of issue that deserves an angry response.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'm very happy with BG:EE. Overhaul has done a great job. There are some issues that needs a look at, but I personally have had a good experience so far.
    Djimmy said:

I disagree. There are plenty examples out there of games that are done and bugfree at release. Granted there are less of them than there used to be, but that doesn't mean we should just get used to and accept it.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    The tearing in the game while moving completely ruins it to the point where I cannot play this as it it makes me nauseas. And only having one tick box on the huge graphics config screen literately made me nearly fall of my chair laughing.

Hopefully they will address this non-game playing-issue.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78

I'm very happy with BG:EE. Overhaul has done a great job. There are some issues that needs a look at, but I personally have had a good experience so far.

Djimmy said:

I disagree. There are plenty examples out there of games that are done and bugfree at release. Granted there are less of them than there used to be, but that doesn't mean we should just get used to and accept it.
    Also, most games that are buggy are at least playable. This game won't even start for huge groups of people and that's totally unacceptable for a professional release. I feel like I'm trying to get an unofficial mod to work, not a game that real developers spent time and money on.
    @Jaysama Understood. Everything will be fixed I think.
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    @Zeckul, I mean no offence. I understand the volunteer nature of beta-testing here and definetly can imagine amount of work that was done. Still, some things is quite oblivious to detect, and the fact that their are still in the game at the moment of release tells me, that something in beta-testing work was organized wrong.
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35
    Nothing Fancy. I guess I figured it would be somewhat different. Even visually I am having a hard time seeing the difference than the original. I guess I expected some different portraits, resolutions, and presentation all around. I found it odd that there is a tab for "Graphics" yet the only thing changeable is whether I want full screen mode or not. Still its worth the money as the game is legendary and I would support more of this type game in the future.
  • patbakerpatbaker Member Posts: 21
    I voted awesome everything I hoped for and its only going to get better with updates good job overhaul team
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    It's okay. However, the portrait pack is sort of underwhelming (the pictures sure are nice, but it's basically humans/elves and two dwarven boys, not much variety) and the German language version is missing all the voices. All of them. No "Forward march", no "Go for the eyes, Boo", no nothing.

I expected the localized version to be, well, localized. Beamdog can just use the old non-English voiceovers, and frankly I don't understand why they didn't. There's about zero atmosphere without voices, and with my Charname talking English (while the texts are German and everyone else is mute).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    ... huh. And somehow it is 06:28 in the morning. Curse you and your addictive nature Baldur's Gate!
  • MunroMunro Member Posts: 12
    I voted "It's bad", but I only mean in its current state. Some of the functionality of the original is missing (probably due to bugs). I also don't like the particularly like the new cinematics. They're extremely well drawn, and the artist(s) are to be commended, but from the intro they don't seem as well animated and the audio has turned out extremely stuttered on my PC. These are certainly problems which can be easily fixed with patches, mods, and configuration tweaking (which itself is something else to mention, the Baldur.ini doesn't seem to have the settings which fixed that sort of stutter problem in Baldur's Gate, unlike the BGconfig.exe), but still, not what I expected from an "enhanced edition".

As I write I realize the "It's bad" vote was misplaced. I'd rather say "Nothing fancy". It looks nothing like a 'George Lucas' kind of job, and I deeply appreciative of Overhaul Games in that respect. Plus there is plenty of stuff which has been added which is working fine.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Talarasha said:

@Zeckul, I mean no offence. I understand the volunteer nature of beta-testing here and definetly can imagine amount of work that was done. Still, some things is quite oblivious to detect, and the fact that their are still in the game at the moment of release tells me, that something in beta-testing work was organized wrong.

A lot of what people are complaining about are known bugs reported, in good part, by the beta test team. Most serious issues currently are hardware and driver related, which is bound to happen when a new engine is released in the wild.

As we all know, Overhaul was taken by surprise by the amount of work required to make BG:EE happen, which led to an unexpected delay of 2 months. These 2 months have been spent frantically getting the game from "total mess" to "presentable" status. We're all very aware that many outstanding issues remain, but what you don't see are the thousands of other issues that took priority over these.