Skip to content

If this is an indication of Overhauls capabilities and quality assurance stay the hell away from BG3

The only good thing about this is the original game. Overhaul have released a buggy NOT enhanced option lacking, laggy, POS!

My gf bought a copy ages ago and I've been playing it a bit to see if I would also pick up a copy. After an hour or so I can say I will NEVER buy another title by this embarrassment of a developer. Riding on the coattails of a great game promise improvements, but yet still release a game inferior to the original. I will stick to my mods and give this company the respect it deserves, which at this stage is basically none at all.

This is the product they released AFTER a delay in order to polish and refine?!?

Stay away from this franchise Overhaul you lack the skill and talent to create anything worthy of the heritage.

If they fix all the broken stuff, add some actual customization options, allow for actual UI customizing or just provide and actually enhanced game I might look at future projects.

Also the new movies are a joke. They look like cheap flash animations from the 90's. You could at least animate them properly. The cheap motion comic method is cheap and looks amateurish.

In its current state its not worth $5 let alone $20.

Comments

• PhysicsdummyPhysicsdummy Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    I want to formulate an opinion on Overhaul's work but I can't even do that seeing as their release doesn't even launch :(
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2012
    Im sorry so your lack of issues. It doesn mean they dont exist for anyone else. Look at the multiple threads stating the issues and the dozens of people who cant even get it to run.
    Get a grip.

Win7 64
    i7 2600k
    GTX580
    16 Gigs DD3

I think my GF's rig is more than capable of running this except it runs like crap.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Whine some more and well have a good time.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    For my part, I would say that I'll wait proper feedback and testing for the first buyers of BG2:EE or PT :EE before buying the EE versions of these games .

There are many options missing (ajust IA updates per second, Walkthrough nodes, ...), and many many inadmissible bugs remaining).

Sorry to say this but I don't know how the Imoen scripting bugs or the requirement to confirm twice an order given to a Party NPC to move or attack were not fixed.

Not to mention the stupid random crash because the game suddenly decide to slow in some portions of the map for unexpected reasons (when it does not lead to a crash).

I have played only 4 hours (yes from midnight to 4:00 AM), and so far I have encountered many bugs that could have been fixed.

The original game was almost crash free, it seems that new bugs were even introduced. ;-)

That said, there are many good points to this "EE", and notably the zoom in zoom out feature, which is a must.

• dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33

For my part, I would say that I'll wait proper feedback and testing for the first buyers of BG2:EE or PT :EE before buying the EE versions of these games .

There are many options missing (ajust IA updates per second, Walkthrough nodes, ...), and many many inadmissible bugs remaining).

Sorry to say this but I don't know how the Imoen scripting bugs or the requirement to confirm twice an order given to a Party NPC to move or attack were not fixed.

Not to mention the stupid random crash because the game suddenly decide to slow in some portions of the map for unexpected reasons (when it does not lead to a crash).

I have played only 4 hours (yes from midnight to 4:00 AM), and so far I have encountered many bugs that could have been fixed.

The original game was almost crash free, it seems that new bugs were even introduced. ;-)

That said, there are many good points to this "EE", and notably the zoom in zoom out feature, which is a must.

See @cryocore? This is the way to criticize. You are just an immature whiner :)

I'm sure they'll fix a lot of these bugs when time goes by.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Tbh I kind of agree with original poster. The game is great but not because of overhaul, but because of the original game.

Currently the issues I'm having:
    intro video /cutscene videos play at a SLOW speed with a splitsecond at a time. Intro took 10 minutes and wasn't worth the watch.
    Walkspeed ingame seems to be laggy aswell and SLOW.
    I would have liked MORE graphics options, not less.

I get that revamping a game is tough but the changes that they have made has so far not been worth the 18$... That said it is early after release and they might fix all this and if so it will be awesome. :D
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    cryocore said:

Im sorry so your lack of issues. It doesn mean they dont exist for anyone else. Look at the multiple threads stating the issues and the dozens of people who cant even get it to run.
    Get a grip.

Win7 64
    i7 2600k
    GTX580
    16 Gigs DD3

I think my GF's rig is more than capable of running this except it runs like crap.

This is bizzare..I have a nearly identical machine (except its 8 gig dd) and don't have any issues..
    Sorry to hear you're having probs. Hope the team resolves this stuff asap. Its making what should be a great day for all BG fans only great for half..other half can't get the game to run. That sucks.

• SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    I also agree with the original poster.

I've been optimistic about this release all the way along, but I am utterly disappointed with the final result.

The new menu system is worse than the old one. The cinematics are rushed, poorly drawn, badly edited and shorter than the originals, and many cutscenes are missing.

The zoom system is completely pointless, as the graphical quality does not hold up to fully zoomed out, even one knob of the mousewheel just looks like garbage.

The UI and text are also horribly blurry compared to the actual game assets.

No option to change the frame rate, the zoom resets when you enter a building and there's graphical glitches on a lot of animations.

I think this is a pretty terrible release and I might come back and try it again after several patches. I know that the Overhaul guys have put a lot of effort in to get the game to it's current state but in reality ... it is simply much worse than playing Original BG with the widescreen mod.

Might be OK on a handheld device, but dear god, this is a fail for |PC.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    I won't play the game until they add an option to change the framerate. I haven't played an IE game at 30 fps in many years, and I don't plan on doing so ever again.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The NPC confirming orders bug is annoying. I also found that in the area just south of beregost Viconia would not cast any healing spells. She had them available she just refused to cast it on anyone. Sometimes the image would pop up on the top right of her portrait showing she was trying to cast it, sometimes it wouldn't. Either way it wasn't happening. It also would not let her heal on resting. Even after I went to beregost and rested there it took a few rests but for whatever reason the problem seems to have gone away. It is very weird.

For the record I'm also on a 64 bit version of windows (windows 7) and I couldn't even get the game to get past character creation without moving the baldurs gate folder into C:/

There are areas that they need to get fixed, but so long as Overhaul gets their act together on the downloading side of things I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus I just found a new mace they put in game, so at least I know they added something other than the three NPC's and a few bugs.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    I'm a bit surprised they took away most of the graphical changes that were in the original Baldur's Gate. I wonder why they would do that...its funny that the only thing under the graphics tab in game was full screen though. :P
  • AmityAmity Member Posts: 6
    I would have paid $20 for BG1 with widescreen mod and some more assets (portraits, sounds etc).

This isn't an improvement to the original game
  • PezPez Member Posts: 19
    They also forgot to add the language packs. When you select another language you just get the translated text but no voices at all.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

The NPC confirming orders bug is annoying.

I just wonder again : How can such an obvious bug have passed the beta testing ?

With the Imoen scripting bug, this is the most urgent bug to be fixed, beside stability improvements.

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Pez said:

They also forgot to add the language packs. When you select another language you just get the translated text but no voices at all.

That's a known issue.

• ranger103ranger103 Member Posts: 2
    Did you guys manage to start the game ? i'm still stuck at preload compolete...
  • PhysicsdummyPhysicsdummy Member Posts: 18
    ranger103 said:

Click on the preload complete bar.

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I've been unable to play the game at all basically

My ancient PC that has guided me through trials and tribulations won't stop Freezing up whenever I load a game

Im going back to my free online games for awhile and I'll come back in a week or so. Although the original is still definitely here, there are some glaring bugs that really are hurting the overall experience of it. I haven't given up on Overhaul at all...I'm sure people would have complained if they only added in numerous mods and left everything else unchanged as well. Overall I have to say that the cut scenes are a bit iffy and a few more bugs need to be squashed.

Does anybody know where the options file is in the Baldur's Gate folder? I mean the file where all the premade characters are stored.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    Hmm, reading all of this bad feedback during the last hours, I'm having my doubts on even starting my playthrough right now.

Just started up the game to see what the menu was like. Don't really care about the bluish stone design, but hell, they really screwed up on the intro. I was expecting a well-made, high quality artwork intro that manages to capture the atmosphere of the original one. The terror in the eyes of the dying warrior, the brooding menace of the armored figure Sarevok as he slowly approaches.

Instead, I got a amateur "Batman-inspired" comic. Some cheaply-drawn armored figure standing atop a dark tower. Felt myself instantly reminded of a comic on Nickelodeon. Why did they cut the other guys dialogue anyway?
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    ranger103 said:

Click on the preload complete button; it will download another 100mb patch and you will then be able to play.
    VikingR said:

Hmm, reading all of this bad feedback during the last hours, I'm having my doubts on even starting my playthrough right now.

Just started up the game to see what the menu was like. Don't really care about the bluish stone design, but hell, they really screwed up on the intro. I was expecting a well-made, high quality artwork intro that manages to capture the atmosphere of the original one. The terror in the eyes of the dying warrior, the brooding menace of the armored figure Sarevok as he slowly approaches.

Instead, I got a amateur "Batman-inspired" comic. Some cheaply-drawn armored figure standing atop a dark tower. Felt myself instantly reminded of a comic on Nickelodeon. Why did they cut the other guys dialogue anyway?

I wouldn't say the game is bad....I would say I think they may have gone too far with trying to change things that didn't need to be changed. You can't please everybody and it is likely that by "fixing" the bugs that caused the delay, they introduced more bugs. I REALLY hope not though. I've played it to the Friendly Arm Inn and overall it is a good experience. The character menu is much more simplified and shows equipped weapon damage as well as the effects your stats currently have on your character. Its got the same tedious re-rolling on Character Creation too though XD

I guess they got things to work on for both the PC and the iOS too now. I feel sorry for them. :(
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Realistically this was to be expected given the size of the studio and the scale of the project. Porting an updated game from the 90s to 4 different platforms isn't an easy task. One silver lining to come out of this is that once the compatibility issues are ironed out, things should go much smoother when BG2:EE comes out.

Besides there's no guarantee that BG3 will ever come to fruition. They'd have to secure the rights first.
    Mordeus said:

Realistically this was to be expected given the size of the studio and the scale of the project. Porting an updated game from the 90s to 4 different platforms isn't an easy task. One silver lining to come out of this is that once the compatibility issues are ironed out, things should go much smoother when BG2:EE comes out.

Besides there's no guarantee that BG3 will ever come to fruition. They'd have to secure the rights first.

Honest question here: do you think they will be willing to patch it? I still believe it can work out but it will require lots of patching. Do you think it will work out or no?
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    I am disappointing mainly by the game's UI, animation and portraits. As to bugs and performance issues, they can be fixed up by patches. Anyone who played Gothic 3 would remember how the community patches have turned a buggy gem into a true masterpiece.
    But once the art/design aspects of a game are set, it's very hard to fix them later on.
    Considering the size and funding of the developers I must say they have tried their best.