Skip to content

Accessing the Map screen and then right-clicking on map notes or map causes CTD

sebassebas Member Posts: 56
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Problem:
Whenever I right-click a location marker on the local area map, the game crashes.

Reproduction steps:
1. Open Area Map ("M" key)
2. Right-click any location marker
3. Crash

Expected Behavior:
1. Open Area Map ("M" key)
2. Right-click any location marker
3. Pop-up window which gives the options to rename the marker and change its color.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• M9ikeM9ike Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    When I use the map (changing the colors of the tiles, changing the names or adding a tile) the game crashes.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Yup, same happened to me.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Which area are you in?

I tried to reproduce this in Candlekeep and don't have a problem.
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    I'm having the same bug in Candlekeep.
    Win7 x64.
  • sebassebas Member Posts: 56
    Candlekeep as well.
    Win7 x64
    Probably better if you guys post more detailed info of your computer specs.

Are you playing single player or multi?
    And can you guys create map markers or just right-clicking on the mini-map already make the game crash?
    Never mind, I just managed to reproduce this.

Didn't realize that it only happens when you use the hotkey to access the map.
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

Didn't realize that it only happens when you use the hotkey to access the map.

False. It also happens when I open the map screen with a mouse click.
    It happens both in full-screen and windowed mode.

Same error happens when I attempt to create a new map marker. The editor window pops up for a second followed by this error:
    Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: baldur.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 0.1.0.0
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 50b66b64
    Fehlermodulname: baldur.exe
    Fehlermodulversion: 0.1.0.0
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 50b66b64
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00354808
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
    Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Sorry, it's in German.

It does not happen every time, but it happens a lot.

EDIT: Oh yes, I'm playing single player.
  • Whitewind617Whitewind617 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know about the hotkey thing, but I've reproduced it simply by pushing the map button. For me though, the crash only occurs when I attempt to type something. Otherwise, I can bring up the point editor/creator, and even delete current ones, but typing something is a big no-no. Instant crash every time.

Specs:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU - T6600 @ 2.20 GHz
    Memory: 4.00 GB RAM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M
    Ok, I removed the stuff that I edited in the title and opening post.

Not sure why I only get it when I access the map screen with the hotkey.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I managed to reproduce this in German. Crash is only when I don't click on a marker.
  • OspreyOsprey Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    It happens to me in single-player, not tested multi-player. Happens whether I open the map with hot-key or map button.

Happens when selecting an existing point on the map with a right-click, or when after setting a new right click point if I try to chance the colour of the diamond.

Edit: This now also happens when I try to set a new point in Candlekeep, however this bug does not seem to affect Winthrop's Inn - Interior (Though that has it's own bug).
    Post edited by Osprey on
    @Coriander

The crash happens in the English version too, I can reproduce it by going into the map screen using the hotkey first.

I'm on a Portuguese keyboard if that matters.
  • frossfross Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2012
    When trying to leave a note on my map in Beregost game crashed out.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2012
    If you open your map, then click a point to enter, as soon as you start to enter text, any letter, the game crashes.
    You can change the colour of the gem, and click in the text box again, but as soon as you hit a key to enter text, the game freezes then crashes, exiting out to desktop.
    If you need more info, I can try to provide it.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    I can change the colour of the gem, and click in the text box again, but as soon as I hit a key to enter text, the game freezes then crashes, exiting out to desktop.
  • Azchar111Azchar111 Member Posts: 27
    Current Behavior
    If you open the overland map while outdoors in Candlekeep, you will see some location icons. These icons may be selected with a right mouse click. Doing so will cause the game to freeze.

Expected Behavior
    I don't think these icons should be clickable or at worst, do nothing when clicked.
  • AnhoraAnhora Member Posts: 22
    PinkRose said:

I can change the colour of the gem, and click in the text box again, but as soon as I hit a key to enter text, the game freezes then crashes, exiting out to desktop.

I have exact the same issue if i try to make a custom landmark on the map. -PC Version (Win7 64bit/ATI Radeon HD5700)

• NamhciRNamhciR Member Posts: 1
    If i right click a map marker that is preloaded into the game (like a shop for example) it will crash the game
  • AnhoraAnhora Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    Issue seems to appear randomly. Some time it works just fine and some times it crash the game.
    Post edited by Anhora on
  • rderekprderekp Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2012
    Expected Behavior:

Right-clicking on the map should allow me to create a custom map point.

Observed Behavior:

I can choose the color of the map point I want, and the cursor appears to type in a custom name, however the game freezes at that point, then crashes.

EDIT: Ignore this, found another thread about it and I don’t know how to delete. :)
  • rderekprderekp Member Posts: 46
    Same issue, in Beregost, using the English version.

Specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core @ 2.71 GHz
    Memory: 4.00 GB RAM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited November 2012
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Bug Reporting Process.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    I attempted to set a waypoint in Beregost to note what houses I had looted. In doing so, the game crashed.
  • kostasmakrinoskostasmakrinos Member Posts: 42
    Happens to me too, not only in Beregost but in other areas as well.

Win 7 64 bit, ATI Radeon 5970 Sapphire, Intel i5 680
  • InterferenceInterference Member Posts: 5
    This is a bit of a weird one. Here are the steps to reproduce it:

1. In the first area you're in once leaving Candlekeep, approach and recruit Montarron and Xzar. The dialogue option I picked was the one about meeting up with other people first, although I'm not sure if that matters.

2. Immediately after, go to the map, r-click to add a map pin and the moment I try to name it, it causes a crash to desktop.

This doesn't seem to happen if you save right after recruiting, load that, and THEN try to add a map pin.

A fairly minor issue, sure, but it could be an underlying problem that manifests itself somewhere else, so it's probably worth bringing to *someone's* attention, and checking if it's not JUST me that's getting that.

Bonus, unrelated tip: adding BG:EE to Steam (as a non-steam game) works but has issues with the overlay, specifically the interface doesn't update every frame, so the overlay leaves ghost images over it whenever you bring it up. Easily fixed by bringing up and then dismissing the options screen, but slightly annoying.
  • Notepic4Notepic4 Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2012
    Current behavior : the game crashes when typing the name of a new map marker.
    Expected behavior : the game allows for the adding of additional map markers
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    Placing map pins causes crashes to desktop randomly here, too. No method to the madness whatsoever.
  • InterferenceInterference Member Posts: 5
    serabiet said:

Placing map pins causes crashes to desktop randomly here, too. No method to the madness whatsoever.

Ah. Oh dear. I had hoped it wasn't quite as bad as that, but evidently not. Guess I'll lay off adding pins until they fix that. I wonder how they broke it. Or, more importantly, how they missed that it was broken...