Skip to content

Accessing the Map screen and then right-clicking on map notes or map causes CTD

Comments

• DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2012
    Im running BGEE on Windows8, when i add a note to the map, name it and press done - the game crash to the desktop. Happens every time.
  • InterferenceInterference Member Posts: 5
    I also posted about this, but in the muddle of support forums and bug reporting, I was uncertain where to put it. The thread is here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7954/game-crashes-if-you-create-a-custom-map-pin-right-after-recruiting-montarron-and-xzar

And the summary of how I encountered it is:

1. In the first area you're in once leaving Candlekeep, approach and recruit Montarron and Xzar. The dialogue option I picked was the one about meeting up with other people first, although I'm not sure if that matters.

2. Immediately after, go to the map, r-click to add a map pin and the moment I try to name it, it causes a crash to desktop.

This doesn't seem to happen if you save right after recruiting, load that, and THEN try to add a map pin.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    I don't even get to press done. The game crashes right when I start to type in text about 80% of the time.. ..guess I lucked out on that first couple notes I made.
    ..am on Win7
    Post edited by ThomasMink on
  • dwassllirdwassllir Member Posts: 3
    pretty self-explanatory really.... you open your map and right-click on one of the map icons and the game crashes to the desktop with no error code or dump file?
    I have V-Sync and Triple Buffering Forced Off
    I wonder if this has something to do with Nvidia's Optimus technology? I have the lasted driver (307.21) and the exe in the data folder white listed.
    My specs:
    Alienware M11xR2 Windows 8 pro 64bit
  • Notepic4Notepic4 Member Posts: 27

I also posted about this, but in the muddle of support forums and bug reporting, I was uncertain where to put it. The thread is here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7954/game-crashes-if-you-create-a-custom-map-pin-right-after-recruiting-montarron-and-xzar

And the summary of how I encountered it is:

1. In the first area you're in once leaving Candlekeep, approach and recruit Montarron and Xzar. The dialogue option I picked was the one about meeting up with other people first, although I'm not sure if that matters.

2. Immediately after, go to the map, r-click to add a map pin and the moment I try to name it, it causes a crash to desktop.

This doesn't seem to happen if you save right after recruiting, load that, and THEN try to add a map pin.

I see the crash happened in the area west of high hedge for me. I wonder if the bug is related to recruiting xzar and monty, in any case I will try out what you did and see if it helps.
    Dafojk said:

Im running BGEE on Windows8, when i add a note to the map, name it and press done - the game crash to the desktop. Happens every time.

I have the same exact problem, perhaps how we launch the game (like as a Windows 8 application vs on desktop ) is affecting the game. Or maybe there's a problem from windows 7 to Windows 8 :(
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Rightclicking on any premade map marker also causes crash.

I've already mentioned it here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7950/serious-bugs-spotted#latest
    edited November 2012
    What operating systems are you using, I found a thread that commented on all windows 8 users have this problem.
    Kirkor said:

Rightclicking on any premade map marker also causes crash.

I've already mentioned it here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7950/serious-bugs-spotted#latest

• DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Windows8 here
  • trexplusfiretrexplusfire Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue.

If it's relevant, here's my Laptop:
    i7 3520M with a Geforce 640M LE
    8 gb ram.
    Windows 7 64 bit.

I too wonder if this is an issue with my integrated Intel graphics hardware vs my geforce card (optimus).
  • AnhoraAnhora Member Posts: 22
    Windows 7 (64bit) But same issues here.
    Anhora said:

Windows 7 (64bit) But same issues here.

Perhaps it is just a general bug for Windows that will hopefully be fixed soon
  • Kain_GreysonKain_Greyson Member Posts: 3

I don't even get to press done. The game crashes right when I start to type in text about 80% of the time.. ..guess I lucked out on that first couple notes I made.
    ..am on Win7

• Kain_GreysonKain_Greyson Member Posts: 3
    I'm having this issue on Win7 as well. But this is not nearly the only thing causing crashing.
  • CassiopeiaCassiopeia Member Posts: 14
    I've tried a couple times to make custom notes on the maps (Specifically marking Marianne's house in Beregost) and the game crashes every time I try.

Not a game-breaking issue, obviously, it's something that can be easily avoided and I haven't had any other problems at all (except that minor install error that was resolved), I'm just putting it up here so you know for the next patch, and for anyone else who has had this problem.

Thanks everyone who's working on errors for us, you're awesome =)
  • MarkosMarkos Member Posts: 30
    Yeap same problem here. I've tried many times but it always crashes.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Im getting this too. It only crashes when you try to enter text for the new map marker you're creating, no matter what letter it is.

For now I would suggest writing a note in your journal to describe the map marker you want to make until they fix it.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012
    When trying to write some text after putting a mark on the map, BG:EE shuts down. Tried this outside Friendly Arm Inn, and in the area south of there...
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Bump. Have this issue too.
  • J_the_CJ_the_C Member Posts: 4
    I also have this problem; quite irritating.
  • frossfross Member Posts: 12
    Me 4
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    I also have this problem. 100% of the time I try to make a note, it will crash.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    It happens to me too, in all the areas, it's really annoying :(
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    It happens to me too, exactly the same!
    Windows 7 64bit, if it can be helpful
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    I'm not a developer or beta tester but I would always provide your system specs!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Merging similar threads.
  • tkelloggtkellogg Member Posts: 15
    Just found it and came to see if anyone else had. : )
  • mommimommi Member Posts: 9
    Same here
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    Merged bugreports