Skip to content

"I am a little upset" - a review of forum rants/rages

So last night I had a ton of fun ingame, only remark was slowish download but hey - i was having Diablo3 errors in beta for weeks, i was crashing first night of Diablo3, i was crashing first nights of wow-tbc,wotlk,cata, i was crashing on patch days of MassEffect3 multiplayer...in general, launch day crashes and slow download via overburdened servers are a normal thing and I, as an IT masters degree, understand it...Hell, if Blizzard cant make a clean launch day for a decade almost and if anybody has resources and money - it should be them; then how can I be mad at a smallish company that postponed my gaming by 2h45min?
I wanted to make this post because I can see a lot of hate on the forum...must be all the good guys are playing the game so they dont have the time to post:)
So my review on forum rants/rages:

I see people complaining that the game crashes - are you maybe new to the gaming world, because for the past 25 yrs that I was able to game there was NOT a single game in the entire world that worked completely the same for everbody...person A has a crash, person B enjoys the game - its a complex set of conditions - software+hardware - who knows what could have gone wrong so I dont see a point in blaming the company/game; I havent experienced a single crash so far

I see people complaining at the cutscenes - there is really no point in discussing preferences of different people, I understand there are people whose favourite games have wicked cutscenes and that is allright but c'mon, I still enjoy AgeOfEmpires1 or HeroesOfMightAndMagic3 with the same passion now while I play these modern high tech games...i love skyrim, but ofcourse i adore morrowind aswell...so people manage your expectations, we talk for 12 yrs about BG serial because of the story/lore/isometric rpg feeling

I see people saying that 20$ is too much - maybe it is, but there are people who dont mind giving a little bit extra so the gaming companies can make it in this competetive market...in the days I was playing WoW I remember people bitching how indie games are not worth the money, then I read that Blizzard made a new pet buyable for dollars - it cost 25$ and got preordered for 400.000 customers...i rest my case

I see people complaining at "lower" fps - this is not worth the discussion, go play blackops...

I see people complaining at lack of suitable portraits - cmon people, really?!

I see people complaining that nothing is enhanced - ffs, the same game from 12 yrs ago now works in our high resolutions, it doesnt crash on win7/8 (atleast not for most of us),sound got perfected (and music) via new tech, u got bg2 kits in bg1, all other enchancements of bg2 inside bg1... i am aware that most of these things can be done via mods but I for example, like it like this and dont mind paying somebody to package this

I didnt want Overhaul or any other company giving out new content, remaking storyline, characters and touching lore...BG was perfect, I want it to stay like that - just adjusted for modern pcs/monitors and maybe try out bg2 kits in bg1 - and that is what I got! in my eyes, value for money was achieved

And for the end, for all the fans and D'n'D players, have fun and enjoy!

"haters gonna hate and heaters gonna heat"

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Yeah I've been trying to get the game to run for 12 hours and the game freezes my PC every time now and even I think the complaining has gotten out of hand lol
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    XD Your optimism is overwhelming...but I agree with all of what you just said. Mods can make the old Baldur's Gate similar to this, but at the same time it can't. Overall despite the bugs I am happy with it...hopefully they can fix the issues where it crashes on start up though so other players have a chance to try it.
  • YemethYemeth Member Posts: 36
    "lower" fps...classic bg is a lot smoother for me than EE so i think this is valid concern...
  • EcthelionEcthelion Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2012
    Totally agree with you guys.
    Game first lagged a lot, then I searched to find a solution in the forum and I found it. Come on, a little patience and everyone will be able to enjoy fully the game.
  • mysantropmysantrop Member Posts: 7
    i agree that some things we can make better, like the "lock my zoom option" so it doesnt reset when u enter new buildings but I think all can be done with patience and good common behaviour...they have people reading forums and I presume they will take our suggestions in consideration
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Ishmaril said:

In my opinion, people raging against a game always make a lot more noise than people enjoying it, always been like that, will always be.

Because the people enjoying the game are playing it and seldom come here or at least giving some constructive criticism not shallow pointless whining.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Does anyone remember fighting in the trenches of the Sierra Wars? Going to Best Buy, and seeing a bin full of games by Sierra, then spending the rest of the day trying to get it to work. Making boot discs, changing settings, poking around in Dos to get the thing you paid $10 for to run.

I don't like doing that anymore. I never liked doing it. BG:EE runs for me. I hit the install button. Then it works. And I can play Baldur's Gate.

Some people are having problems. At least the Team is workin on fixing things. We were rapidly approaching the point where BG would no longer be compatible.
  • WulfyWulfy Member Posts: 32
    My one upset so far was when the methods of delivery were looking pretty suboptimal for my unrepresentatively crap internet. I've been incredibly impressed with the transparency and promptness of the devs in acknowledging and addressing issues, and honestly, I do trust them to make good on what they offer.

I don't regret pre-ordering, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If people aren't willing to put up with "Growing Pains", they should not buy a game within 2 months of its release, let alone preorder it.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    All PC games have bugs, you can never test for all of them. Mine works perfectly (thank goodness) but I can understand people being frustrated that theirs doesn't (disappearing cursors, crappy framerate, crashes to desktop or even complete lockups). This doesn't make it a crap game, nor does it mean Overhaul is a crap company. It means you bought a PC game and played it on the first day.

They'll fix the problems. Until then, you haven't been scammed, conned or been lied to by lazy programmers, you've been unlucky to have that specific set of hard and software that they weren't able to test for. Alas. Better luck next time.
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    CaptRory said:

If people aren't willing to put up with "Growing Pains", they should not buy a game within 2 months of its release, let alone preorder it.

i hope that you say that because we can't do anything about this illness, not because you think it's *normal*
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think you're seeing a lot of threads complaining about the download speed and/or game crashes because people are posting new threads, rather than commenting their agreement onto existing threads. Unfortunately, that just tends to be the way the internet works.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2012
    I have been gaming my whole life and I do agree with you. also... i have never made a post like this in my entire life on any forum I have ever been on.

I get sick and tired of seeing posts like "MONEY BACK" " DIS GAME SUCKS" or even threads when people try to sound calm/intelligent about it are really saying "THIS GAME SUCKS MONEY BACK NOW" .

I am not a fanboy but jesus people can be really stupid/needy (I have seen this in pretty much every gaming forum)

What is needed:

Constructive Criticism without the need of telling them everything sucks

Properly Reporting Bugs

Encouragement, especially to a smaller company

What is not needed:

1 post accounts making useless threads that doesn't help anyone

stupid threads

useless threads

stupid/useless threads

Personally I would delete any such posts on sight since it doesn't help the game developers... it just brings them down instead. Obviously there will always people disappointed in something but there is nothing wrong with a little encouragement along the way. You want your money back? quietly shut up about it and do it. No need to let us know.

Bugs: If you have been gaming as long as I have then you know bugs are nothing new. It sucks to have game breaking bugs/not even able to start up the game. What can you do about it? Post it in the bug report section, or a main thread for constructive criticism, or look for a side fix from other users in the meantime. How the hell does complaining like a 2 year old help anyone? I know every generation has it problems but jesus damn christ the people these days

There will always be bugs. Testing for bugs? You do realize they do just that. Even with testing they cannot stomp them all out... and new ones arise when the game ships out. They work long hard hours, something I am familiar with.... bugs will get through... even serious ones.

THEY know there are serious bugs. THEY will fix them.

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE ANYONE? lol

New intro...

at first it felt strange but then I had a feeling of awesomeness

Honestly I think the new art style is pretty neat... personal preference of course

I am standing up for them yes... apologizing for them no... this is how the world works plain and simple

encouragement plz

@the developers focus on the positive ignore the useless ;)

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    The only real argument I can think of against this game:

The EE was presented as the definitive BG version because it would have hundreds of fixes that would be integrated into the game and wouldn't require tweaking/downloading bugfixes. Now it's out and a lot of people are having problems... that require tweaking/downloading bugfixes.

Personally I had the 'blurry text' problem and was about to put the game to the side for a while until I tried someone's suggestion to reset my Nvidia settings. I was hoping that we wouldn't have to do things like that anymore, or at least there would be an 'enable 3d text' in the graphics options.

I've noticed that a lot loudest negative voices right now (not talking about this thread) are from people with <10 posts. This is the crowd that is less experienced (as a whole) and was promised a playable experience out of the box. They didn't get that, so they are understandably upset.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I can't even launch the game... but I'm waiting for a solution and trying one to get it running. I know the poor guys of the team are now overwhelmed with all this bugs and crashes and rage, so there's no point for me to complain. I'll do if there's no solution in weeks xD
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    OP, O_O wauw! Die hard fanboi!
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Fine post.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173

I'm sorry OP but I completely disagree with you. Frankly, your post is quite insulting. You're basically telling paying customers who have a faulty product to 'deal with it'. Just because other games have issues doesn't make it OK. Consumers have a right to be upset when they don't receive a quality service/product, and no, it's not good enough to tell them that it will be resolved in some indeterminate time in the future.

Making PC games is an art. It's a difficult art where (in this case for sure) a very complex game needs to work on ridiculous amount of differently set systems. It's not possible to test everything on every possible system. Also, it's been less than 24h. It's a bit soon to be screaming "money back", no matter the problem or bug.
    GSM said:

What is needed:

Constructive Criticism without the need of telling them everything sucks

Properly Reporting Bugs

Encouragement, especially to a smaller company

This. Especially Properly Reporting Bugs.
  • Ken_BrightbladeKen_Brightblade Member Posts: 7
    mysantrop said:

I see people complaining that the game crashes - are you maybe new to the gaming world, because for the past 25 yrs that I was able to game there was NOT a single game in the entire world that worked completely the same for everbody...person A has a crash, person B enjoys the game - its a complex set of conditions - software+hardware - who knows what could have gone wrong so I dont see a point in blaming the company/game; I havent experienced a single crash so far

Oh, I'm sorry, you don't like that people are upset about their product not working? Well here's the thing, bucko - Baldur's Gate: The original game, with some mods for widescreen and to import the BG2 ruleset, has less bugginess and crashing, and is a FAR better gameplay experience for those of us who have had bugs. Just because bugs happen, doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset when a product that is for the most part stable, if a bit outdated, performs better than the shiny new version that we've all been anxiously anticipating (XP vs Vista just a few years ago, amirite?)
    mysantrop said:

I see people complaining at the cutscenes - there is really no point in discussing preferences of different people, I understand there are people whose favourite games have wicked cutscenes and that is allright but c'mon, I still enjoy AgeOfEmpires1 or HeroesOfMightAndMagic3 with the same passion now while I play these modern high tech games...i love skyrim, but ofcourse i adore morrowind aswell...so people manage your expectations, we talk for 12 yrs about BG serial because of the story/lore/isometric rpg feeling

Sure, but an option to use the classic movies does not seem unreasonable, but yes, this one I feel is a minor point.
    mysantrop said:

I see people saying that 20$ is too much - maybe it is, but there are people who dont mind giving a little bit extra so the gaming companies can make it in this competetive market...in the days I was playing WoW I remember people bitching how indie games are not worth the money, then I read that Blizzard made a new pet buyable for dollars - it cost 25$ and got preordered for 400.000 customers...i rest my case

Would you feel good about paying for a hamburger, then having them hand you a slab of raw meat on your sandwich? Doesn't matter who the person supplying it is, you're bound to be a little upset.
    mysantrop said:

I see people complaining at "lower" fps - this is not worth the discussion, go play blackops...

Yeah? That's cool and all that you wanna flex your superiority complex, bro.

The lower FPS has nothing, and I MEAN nothing to do with playing Generic Xbox shooters. The reason so many people are bitching about it is the simple fact that we've had the option for the last 14 or so years to not play the game at default speed. It's the same reason that games like StarCraft had an option to go faster, and the same reason they put that in SC2. The slow speeds are good for some people, but some people can, and will choose to play faster.

It's not that we're easily bored, it's that taking away options that have always been available can really ruin an experience.
    mysantrop said:

I see people complaining at lack of suitable portraits - cmon people, really?!

A lot of people who played the originals enough to mod them to keep them running on modern systems have folders with tons of portraits they have either acquired over the years, or made themselves, and there's no way to just drop them in a folder and go this time.
    mysantrop said:

I see people complaining that nothing is enhanced - ffs, the same game from 12 yrs ago now works in our high resolutions, it doesnt crash on win7/8 (atleast not for most of us),sound got perfected (and music) via new tech, u got bg2 kits in bg1, all other enchancements of bg2 inside bg1... i am aware that most of these things can be done via mods but I for example, like it like this and dont mind paying somebody to package this

It's hard to feel like it's enhanced when there are major, experience ruining issues out there for certain users. We can't all be the slow 30 FPS boy with the Golden Computer.
    mysantrop said:

I didnt want Overhaul or any other company giving out new content, remaking storyline, characters and touching lore...BG was perfect, I want it to stay like that - just adjusted for modern pcs/monitors and maybe try out bg2 kits in bg1 - and that is what I got! in my eyes, value for money was achieved

Well that's good that you're enjoying it. Some of us are just upset that two weeks ago we were playing BG 1 on modern systems, with all the same great stuff that has had us coming back since '98, and we didn't even have to spend 20 bucks to get it there.

All that being said, I think that Beamdog is going to fix all these issues, and then everyone will be a lot happier, but until then, people are going to complain, and loudly. If you don't like it, alt-tab back into the game, and maybe don't insult the intelligence of people with valid concerns, especially if you're not even going to make an attempt at using correct spelling or grammar, asshole.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    GSM said:

There will always be bugs. Testing for bugs? You do realize they do just that. Even with testing they cannot stomp them all out... and new ones arise when the game ships out. They work long hard hours, something I am familiar with.... bugs will get through... even serious ones.

This bit here, this is very true, no amount of testing on whatever platform can account for the infinite number of other software and hardware configurations which exist beyond their test setup that can conceivably affect the game. Although I can understand the other side of the argument, this isn't after-all a brand new game, it's a very old one, and an old one which has run with a good degree of stability over a number of different platforms for a number of years, so expectations for the release working right first time are high.

That said I don't think it's unreasonable to expect if you took the time to show support for the project by preordering you should reasonably expect to be able to access the product on day of release.

• RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    mysantrop said:

I can understand peoples' frustrations about the lower fps. It's not a matter of smoothness like you'd expect from normal "only 30 fps" complaints, but rather the speed of the game since running the game at a higher fps used to speed up the game.

Some people played the original exclusively at a higher speed/fps, and now they don't get to, which I agree can be really annoying.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2012

Although I can understand the other side of the argument, this isn't after-all a brand new game, it's a very old one, and an old one which has run with a good degree of stability over a number of different platforms for a number of years, so expectations for the release working right first time are high.

On the other hand the devs had to touch a lot of the code for refactoring it, for fixing bugs and for adding new content. Whenever you do that, you have a risk of breaking something, and BG is truly a complex game with a complex code. I believe that BGEE would be a lot less buggy, if they had made it from scratch. (It wouldn't be ready yet, naturally.)
    Post edited by Moira on
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    OP has my vote as a cool cat.
  • JoppliJoppli Member Posts: 6

snip

Very restrained of you to end your ignorant rant with "asshole". Thank you for providing a perfect example of the idiocy the OP talked about.

To the OP, thank you for voicing the opinion of us who are level-headed enough to understand that there are always to be hiccups in a release, rather than take to the forums and whine about the indignity they've had to suffer by experiencing them. This game is my childhood, enhanced. I do not mind waiting for a few kinks to be ironed out.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    I personally feel like this game is really quite awesome, or would be if I had it on my tablet. I've read elsewhere that the design was directed towards tablet play, and this edition presents itself very well for that type of form factor; I am really quite looking forward to the Android release of this fine game.

However, on my PC, with things like the missing animations, the missing load screen (with its often-entertaining tips), and various other less tangible differences, I keep feeling like I want to go back to BGT or BGTutu with widescreen mod.

I'm not saying they've done a bad job in the slightest, and I'm sure the first patch will solve a lot of the issues that people are having... I guess I just prefer what I'm already accustomed to.
  • SpaceLion2071SpaceLion2071 Member Posts: 7
    I think a key component to the psychology of the anger you talked about is how it's unlike Diablo 3 or WoW or any new game in the since that this is a rerelease of a decade old game. It's 1.8 gigs and I can't even manage to get that to pull through and install. I mean, I had an easier time with Age of Conan's launch, and that wasn't a cup of tea.

I do understand that this isn't just BG of old and therefor technically not the same game and therefor a "new" game, but I think people are frustrated with the relativity of how small the game is and how difficult it's been for some of us to get the files to work right.

I've outlined it in another thread, but I've literally had to download the same 1.8 gig over a half dozen times and I even had this preloaded. You're right that people can be immature and overly quick to pass harsh judgment on something, but lets no err in the same way and pass judgement on them when at this stage we know some people are dealing with a lot more than "download was kinda slow". Repetition can make anyone insane (especially if you're expecting a different result that what you're constantly getting).

WoW and D3 also require a constant interweb connection (which is a lot of server strain and makes connection errors common), so that might not be the best example for use against this (relatively) small game that plays offline too.

Hey, we all love the franchise, so at least we have common ground, right?