Skip to content

Custom Portraits and Sound Sets?

PathfinderPathfinder Member Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Two questions:
1) Can you still easily add custom portraits and sound sets, like in the original Baldur's Gate?

2) Unlike the original Baldur's Gate, will they actually appear to the other players in online Multiplayer?
ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

Comments

• EleosEleos Member Posts: 48
    Gosh, I hope so.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Its extremely unlikely that they'd remove something this important.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2012
    I imagine, at the very least, that you would have to make sure that everyone had that custom portrait, with the appropriate name, in their respective Portraits folder, or it wouldn't work. Same thing with sound sets; your computer can't display or replay files that don't exist on your computer. (I could be mistaken about that, but I can't imagine you not needing to do that.)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Its one of the best parts of the game. Why it shouldn't be in EE?
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    Is there a way to allow players to download copies of the images and/or soundsets when connecting with other players? Perhaps placing them in a folder inside the install, such as mportraits, and msoundsets? It would allow people to quickly and easily share portraits and soundsets and improve the game as a whole (and similar things have been done with other games, such as auto-downloading maps for RTS and FPS games). I would probably require a secondary program (possibly part of the P2P client software) or an expansion to the current client though...
  • Capac_AmaruCapac_Amaru Member Posts: 21
    This feature is broken it seems. You can listen to the sounds in the sound select menu, but they dont actually function in game.
    Saber_Scorpion
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22
    Kilivitz said:

Seems a few people were already asking about it, so here's how to make custom portraits show up in BG:EE

1) Go to your User(s) folder. You know, the one that has My Pictures, My Music and so on. Look for My Documents, then Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.

2) There you create a folder called Portraits (with a capital P), and that's where you placed your custom portraits. Mind that the dimensions are different now:

Large: 210x330 (not really necessary, so don't worry if you don't have it)
    Medium: 169x266
    Small: 54x84

Now you will notice that when choosing your portrait, a CUSTOM button appears right beneath the portrait you're currently seeing.

Also remember that file names cannot have spaces, need to be 8-chars long at maximum, and also require the letter S, M or L, according to their size. Ex;: xxxL.bmp, xxxM.bmp, xxxS.bmp

And yeah, they have to be bitmaps.

EDIT: I was ninja'ed by several people on other topic, so don't thank me! This is just for future reference.

• WarderWarder Member Posts: 3
    Wow, and here I was thinking I could just follow the instructions in the manuals. Guess not!
  • Saber_ScorpionSaber_Scorpion Member Posts: 8

This feature is broken it seems. You can listen to the sounds in the sound select menu, but they dont actually function in game.

I am having the same problem. If anyone can help, it'd be great.
    Chippy
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    You can add custom portraits to the game! I did it and it works fine. You have to create the folder "portraits" in your "My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/" folder. You can then add your portrait files to this folder. Once you create the folder you the button "Custom" will appear in your character creation or you can change the portrait of current character in game by going to "Record" then "Customize" and then "Appearance".

Size for the portraits are: Large (not really needed): 210x330px Medium Size: 169X266px and Small: 54X84px. They must be in .bmp format. You can use Paint to take any picture you find on the internet and turn it into a portrait.

I will probably write up a tutorial on the forums for how to do custom portraits for BGEE. I hope this helps!
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241

I am having the same problem. If anyone can help, it'd be great.
    I'm having the same problem, I tried this:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8868/heres-how-to-add-custom-sound-sets

But am either doing something wrong, or have a problem with the installation of DLTCEP. It can't find the DialogTLK file, which I didn't think would be a problem as I've added the column for the soundset and named it correctly, don't care about the strings beneath and saved it into the overide. Don't think I can stand my character saying onward! one more time.