Skip to content

Age rating?

I'm having trouble finding out age rating/age appropriateness info. We are a D&D family, and my husband loved the original BG games, but I never played. I want to get this new version for him and possibly my son for their birthdays next month. My son will be 11. He hasn't played many video games (minecraft, a few family wii games, lots of Pokemon on his ds), but he has played lots of D&D. In your opinion, is this game too intense for an 11 year old?

Comments

• IluvatarIluvatar Member Posts: 30
    That depends on if he was was raised with a normal understanding about the world that he lives in or if he was sheltered and taught that the world is one big happy family.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012
    Well, to be honest, most of us in the forum started playing Baldur's Gate around the ages of 11-14, as you can see in this poll, and here we are now ;-)
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    edited November 2012
    It's rated T for teens.

There's references to alcohol, prostitution and sex and obviously violence... but you don't get to see any nudity or sex, it's text only. very rare, and easily avoidable. For blood and gore, there is an option to turn off gore (at least in the original, I haven't looked at the EE's options yet.)

Personally, I don't think it's too much as I started playing it when I was 13.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i think this is a great game for an 11 year old, and i have a 9 year old son. i'm playing though to see if i thin it's appropriate for him, but in the end, there are no dark areas, there are some moral choices but not hard ones, and the option to help people are always there. this is a classic defeat evil story. no, he's a good guy but has to do bad stuff to be good, etc. this is a pretty black and while story, and nto alot of grey areas like in bg2.

i think this is a great game personally, and i played much much much worse when i was that age, and i read worse, and tv/movies? lol
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I don't know about age appropriate. All I can say is that I played it at around 12.
  • mibblesmibbles Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2012
    PEGI rates it as for ages 12 and older, if I recall correctly. Personally, I don't think it's too intense.

Edit: There's a 'gore' option in the Gameplay menu, to disable the more gory combat animations.
    Post edited by mibbles on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Nah I don't its too intense. I would have played it when I was his age and I can't say it did any harm on me.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    The opening video is a bit gory for a young-un, perhaps, but the main game is fine (compared to the gore-fest that is Dragin Age Origins, though I do quite like that...)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    USK in Germany also rates it as okay for ages 12 and older. And I tell you, they are quite harsh in their ratings.
  • SpaceLion2071SpaceLion2071 Member Posts: 7
    The third person isometric view really tonned the violence down for me when I was younger as the bird eyes view makes the action a little less personal than say Duke Nukem or Doom (which I played younger than 11 as well). Some of the concepts and content is a little mature, but I was able to understand it well enough, and the game allows you to be very moralistic. In this sense its a neat way to learn the benefits and rewards of helping others via virtual proxy.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    I played this the first time when I was 8, but that was with my elder brother in secret. You have to play the game and make the judgement for yourself if you believe your child mature enough for it, it has alot of gory violence but I think the biggest part is the very dark story and setting, it's not a fairytale with princessess and paper dragons, but a constant conquest of blood and murder.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    you raise an adult, not a child. if your kid finds something "too intense," he'll stop interfacing with it. you don't need to try to and make that decision for him. children like extreme content just as much as adults do. it doesn't scar them.

that said, Baldur's Gate is very, very tame. minimal graphic violence, next to no screwing, not many words stronger than "damned." a story where the bad guy wears a giant suit of Darth Vader armor everywhere he goes and deserves what's coming to him. your kid might get bored at the sheer amount of unvoiced text to read, but ruination will come there none.
  • allietxallietx Member Posts: 2
    Hate to bump this to the top, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented. This is exactly the info I needed! Much appreciated.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Your welcome. Here's to hoping he enjoys the greatest story ever told.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    Simple short answer: Hell no.