Skip to content

Can't start the game (Windows 7)

The game won't start.

When I hit "Play" the menu disappears, I get the Windows loading ring for a few moments and then nothing.

I am handicapped by a terrible grasp of a computer's inner workings, but here is what I can work out about my system:

Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 GHz
4,00 GB RAM
32-bit operating system

Is there anything else I need to post regarding my computer?
And is there a patch in the making?

Comments

• agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Try to run the game without the launcher, and post the error (if you get one)
  • tooscarytooscary Member Posts: 8
    Same here.

Win 7m Core 2 Duo E7500
    Radeon 4700
    64 bit.

No error or anything whatsoever - ran it using client and from download folder. Ran in compatibility modes and as administrator. No error or anything - the process Baldur.exe appears and disappers after 2 seconds, and thats it.
  • MadmartiganMadmartigan Member Posts: 18
    Same here. Running in compatibility mode or as administrator doesn't work. If I check log I see there is a problem with atioglxx.dll
    Where is log located?
  • ghutaroghutaro Member Posts: 3
    I have this same problem, no error message, no nothing, game launcher just shuts down a couple seconds after you press "play". Windows 7, 64bit over here, Radeon 5800.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
  • JeivarJeivar Member Posts: 53

Try to run the game without the launcher, and post the error (if you get one)

I haven't found a way to run it without the launcher. And there is no error message. Just nothing.

So, no official word yet on a patch? As a paying customer I do feel entitled to get one eventually.
  • pauldecarapauldecara Member Posts: 6
    I have done the same and am getting the same issue. Tried running it from the file in the \data\00766 folder and get the same.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite laptop
    Dual core celeron T300 @ 1.90 GHz, with 3GB Ram, using onboard Intel4 series graphics driver. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
    If I choose the tutorial, I get as far as picking a character then I get the GUI for a fraction of a second then I'm back to desktop - No processes or applications running.
    There's a executable (don't recall the name exactly) inside a folder on the game installation folder. You run it, and it will give some error (or not). This was how I discovered and fixed my bug. If the bug is the same, I might be able to help you.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip

Try download and install this dlls. It fixed my problem.
  • ghutaroghutaro Member Posts: 3
    Huh! It started working for me as soon as I tried "run program as administrator".

There's a executable (don't recall the name exactly) inside a folder on the game installation folder. You run it, and it will give some error (or not). This was how I discovered and fixed my bug. If the bug is the same, I might be able to help you.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip

Try download and install this dlls. It fixed my problem.

This allowed me to get a bit further. Got 5 seconds of tutorial and 5 seconds of blank screen on play game. I reduced my graphics to 16 bit colour at the same time.
    Well, you prob solved one problem and got other one. Try update drivers and stuff.
    Dual core celeron T300 @ 1.90 GHz, with 3GB Ram, using onboard Intel4 series graphics driver. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Your video card is not one of that with known issues? You should check the topic about that.

Nothing above mentioned is working. No error to follow either.
  • ShardShard Member Posts: 2
    I, too, am getting these results. I click the 'Play' button, I get the Windows 7 little blue circle for a few seconds, then nothing.
    If I look under taskmanager, I see BGEE.exe running, then I see Baulder.exe *32 run, then they both shutdown. No error messages.
    From previous posts, I have tried running as administrator, in Vista SP1 compatibility mode, and downgraded my video drivers. Unfortunately, nothing has changed the results.

I am using an Alienware M11x R2
    i5 Processor 1.07 GHz
    nVidia 355M with 1Gb RAM. Driver version 306.97 (latest non-Beta. Tried 301.42 and 306.23 - no go)
    External monitor running at 1600 x 1050 resolution

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your video card is not one of that with known issues? You should check the topic about that.

Thanks for that. I've checked the thread and I'm not even getting as far as a white screen. I'll update my drivers and keep everyone informed.
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    Nothing is working for me as well. Some of you guys say that "event logs" shows the pb, but where is that log? There's no log file in the 00766 folder, only the baldur.exe file that I can't get to run despite changing compatibility and the other suggestions.

Is that a pb with Beamdog only? Should I uninstalled everything and download the whole game directly with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Installer?

I'm also on Window 7 64bits.
    Shard said:

I, too, am getting these results. I click the 'Play' button, I get the Windows 7 little blue circle for a few seconds, then nothing.
    If I look under taskmanager, I see BGEE.exe running, then I see Baulder.exe *32 run, then they both shutdown. No error messages.
    From previous posts, I have tried running as administrator, in Vista SP1 compatibility mode, and downgraded my video drivers. Unfortunately, nothing has changed the results.

I am using an Alienware M11x R2
    i5 Processor 1.07 GHz
    nVidia 355M with 1Gb RAM. Driver version 306.97 (latest non-Beta. Tried 301.42 and 306.23 - no go)
    External monitor running at 1600 x 1050 resolution

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you tried to run the game without the launcher? Look for it in the 00766 folder. It may give you some error message.
    Lanvi
    After checking the other threads, I decided to test something. Once baldur.exe is running, I have 10 seconds or so before it closes down and disappears from memory. I can do pretty much anything in that 10s, but that's all I get.
    I've even tested it with itunes running in the background. lol

Very strange.
  • VindartenVindarten Member Posts: 6
    So, yeah, I'm having the same problem. I can't get this to run at all, tried running both the game and launcher as admin and I can't see to find any error log anywhere. Anyone else find it a bit sad it's easier to get the original game running?
  • mrjanemrjane Member Posts: 18
    I too am having this problem. I execute the launcher, but after pressing play, nothing happens. I've tried going into the 00766 folder and executing the primary file, but that does nothing as well. I've tried as an administrator, but nothing again. I get no error messages and no logs appear in the 00766 folder. I'm stumped.

Just in case, I'm running:

Windows 7 32-Bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 3400

Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Well, I would suggest that everyone mail support@beamdog.com (they replied to me in 20 minutes yesterday). Sorry I can't help.
    Thanks for trying. :)
    I just sent off an e-mail. Hopefully I get a reply as quick as you did, Agent.
  • ShardShard Member Posts: 2

I went back and checked the 'Known Issues' thread. In it was a comment that for laptops with two video cards (one integrated, the other high performance), go into the control panel and set Baulder's Gate to run on the high performance card. Although the laptop should do this automatically, I manually set it and now the game runs fine (so far).

Thanks for the support!
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    Same, I just did as well. Now, we can only wait.
  • VindartenVindarten Member Posts: 6
    I got this to work; I moved the whole folder from Program Files to C drive and was able to launch. Try that.
    I tried the moving the folder thing and that didn't work. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but I'm glad it worked out for you. Hmm...
    this is hopeless, ive tried everything people suggested in every related thread possible with no success.
    edited November 2012
    Well just when I was about to give up, guess what - I made it work

Search for your computer for atioglxx.dll- if thats what eventlog is showing as a faulty component. I found this in repository of older drivers I gues - might indicate the version of it. By copying to windows\system32 the game FINALLY RUNS (cant tab to windows though ... I can, but cant get back to game ... but thats a minor setback considering i wasnt able to run it at all).

c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c7_91527.inf_amd64_neutral_28b5c191aefb7093\B_91054\atioglxx.dll