Skip to content

Why are Beamdog being congratulated?

snippysnippy Member Posts: 2
People on this forum are issuing goodwill and congratulations to Beamdog as if they were the ones who have made this game in the first place, (some may have been involved ORIGINALLY, but that was THEN and they already received the kudos for that, we should be concentrating on THIS RELEASE).

So far this iteration's voyage to market has been a mess and certainly nothing to be lauded, unfounded plaudits DO NOT help customers get better service.

Considering Beamdogs biggest, by far, job has been for the bughunting, and even most of that has been done by the community, and they STILL can't get a release of reasonable quality out of the door.

The posts that haven't been hidden by the sheer numbers of mindless praise mostly show dissatisfaction with the condition of the game, pointing out everything from a delay which obviously did nothing for polish, to the game refusing to DL OR play when finally gotten, to new bugs that weren't in the game to begin with which include, but are not limited to, failing spawns for huge parts of the game... missing Khalid and Jahira and no captain the Nashkel Mines

What exactly have Beamdog done to earn this moronic adulation? Most buyers already have this game and have paid, for what they thought, SHOULD have been a clean release... and don't use the excuse that all games have bugs.. FOR NEW GAMES THAT IS TRUE, but it certainty should not be the case for a 'cleaned-up' re-release.

To all those people about to chime in with "The game works just fine"....(is it really fine or are you just not familiar enough with the game to see all the broken content, where there is one broken spawn there will certainly be others, and these will require patching, which will in all probability require more than the original game's two).."Just fine" is simply low expectations, what about those people who expected this game to be better than "just fine"? This SHOULD have been a polished release, ESPECIALLY seeing as it was delayed for two months.

Beamdog are guilty of entirely avoiding their purchase forum and the problems people seek to have sorted. So in the end what has this release actually given it's purchasers? delays, bugs, broken multi-player that actually worked in the original, removal of original content in favour of a newer, crappier iteration (opening CG and theme, I'm looking at you) and second rate worthless content... I mean seriously.. AN ARENA MODE FOR A STORY DRIVEN GAME, what a joke.

I am ALL for giving credit where credit is due, seriously, but no credit is due for this half arsed release.

Finally seeing that Beamdog have 'conveniently' ignored another of their promises I'll mention here something that has already been mentioned on the purchases forum by another pissed of customer... WHERE is the extra stuff that was promised, because of the delay, to the people who pre-ordered the game before september?

Beamdog.. get your arses over to your purchases forum and start cleaning up the mess that you caused, you are ignoring those people who want, and have a right to, answers and being ignored is just pissing them off even more.

To those who yet to buy the game... DON'T.. buy a cheaper version from somewhere, GOG, just as a suggestion, and mod it yourself. You'll get the same experience and the 'extra' content simply isn't worth it.

..And if you plan to chime in complaining at me daring to complain.. yeah, good luck with that, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over criticism from people guilty of blind, thoughtless praise for those who don't deserve it.

Anyway, this is the only post I'm going to make, I've wasted enough time on this release, needless to say Beamdog won't be getting anymore of my money for anything they may release in the future.. BTW, Beamdog, leave PS:T alone and don't even bother with BG3, you're not capable of producing the quality of work either of those would require, you are better off changing your name to Obsidian, theoretically, you may have some good ideas on what you want to do, but your execution is piss poor.

Comments

• LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    You realize you are only entitled to one opinion, right? You write this as if your opinion is fact... I for one am loving this release thus far, and think they did a fantastic job. The bugs that are there will be fixed in time. It's only 1 day post-release for crying out loud.
  • snippysnippy Member Posts: 2
    Shin said:

snippy said:

I've wasted enough time on this release

Clearly - you and all the other new members popping up in the last day to post your outrage. If this was such an important and heartfelt matter to you, where were you before?

Fantastic question, one that does deserves a very final post from me.

Where have I been... before release, on the purchases forums.. after release trying to dl and play the game.. after all I couldn't complain about something I didn't know was screwed up.

For the final time>>>>>> Gone!. Enjoy waiting for your patches.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    People are that are unhappy are more vocal than those that are happy.
  • ThemightyTiaxThemightyTiax Member Posts: 6
    Snippy, I do believe your expectations and in reality what Beamdog and Trent Oster's goals were are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. The game has been retooled to work on cross platforms, new content has been added but in regards to your anger about the arena, I will simply remind you that Wizards of the coast is VERY protective of their story material and did not want it touched in anyway. That being said, it is a testament to the creative ability of the staff that new npcs and interactions were produced into the game. I am an avid baldurs gate fan. Over the course of years I'd say I've put more hours into the series than any other three games combined that I have played. Three solo full clears and 8 different protags leading parties. I adore this game. Personally for me, just having the format updated, some of the major bugs handled, and what I consider a beautiful UI, especially the inventory screen, I would have payed even a little more for these updates. Foremost, the greatest thing Beamdog has done is place baldurs gate back out in the community an providing updates and a base for new content and that's worth it enough for me. You have some valid points but you come across as Kalah, raving and ranting about your personal wants when all but the preorder content was never set in stone. Take it or leave it my friend, I pray you leave it with me because I adore what they have done to the most beloved story an game I have ever played.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Indeed. Snippy, you are entitled to you opinion, though it's puzzling that you would attack others voice voicing theirs. I, for one, have had a seamless experience in downloading and playing, and am really enjoying the game. IMy opinion is that I've definitely gotten my money's worth, and kudos to Beamdog!
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175

People are that are unhappy are more vocal than those that are happy.

Yep. That's because those who are happy are busying playing the game. :]

Is it perfect? No. Am I enjoying the hell out of it anyway? You betcha!

Also @mch202 I love that chart. ;)
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    This make me sad to read. I feel horrible for the development team and really wish my computer would run the game :(
  • ZoddenZodden Member Posts: 3
    I have been having a blast! I haven't played this since I finished it back in 1998. I never played the expansion. In 2007 I tried to play the "big world project" when it was fairly new and my game was a mess so I gave up.

This gives me the chance to dive back in without having to do much myself. Next I like the improvements and finishing the game with the new companions that they added makes for a new experience!

I love the new UI too!
  • MuximoMuximo Member Posts: 10
    What a loser get a life. Most of us are having a blast! I think Trent and the boys did a great job, for me its waaayyy better than trying to play with tutu and widescreen mod. Def worth the money for me.
  • MuximoMuximo Member Posts: 10

Snippy, I do believe your expectations and in reality what Beamdog and Trent Oster's goals were are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. The game has been retooled to work on cross platforms, new content has been added but in regards to your anger about the arena, I will simply remind you that Wizards of the coast is VERY protective of their story material and did not want it touched in anyway. That being said, it is a testament to the creative ability of the staff that new npcs and interactions were produced into the game. I am an avid baldurs gate fan. Over the course of years I'd say I've put more hours into the series than any other three games combined that I have played. Three solo full clears and 8 different protags leading parties. I adore this game. Personally for me, just having the format updated, some of the major bugs handled, and what I consider a beautiful UI, especially the inventory screen, I would have payed even a little more for these updates. Foremost, the greatest thing Beamdog has done is place baldurs gate back out in the community an providing updates and a base for new content and that's worth it enough for me. You have some valid points but you come across as Kalah, raving and ranting about your personal wants when all but the preorder content was never set in stone. Take it or leave it my friend, I pray you leave it with me because I adore what they have done to the most beloved story an game I have ever played.

Very well said my thoughts exactly!
  • MichalMichal Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Beamdog should be congratulated - They are the only company capable of releasing Enhanced Edition of a game which is worse than the original one.

Quite a feat!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've decided I'm just not going to read posts on this forum for the next couple of days. The level of vitriol has gotten out of hand.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    mch202 said:

Shin said:

snippy said:

I've wasted enough time on this release

Clearly - you and all the other new members popping up in the last day to post your outrage.

Lol !!
    Nicely put ;)
  • RyzakRyzak Member Posts: 3
    Well said OP - very clear and to the point. People would be better off buying the BG series from gog.com and grabbing mods they want from G3.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    It's the classic case of over promise and under-deliver, when they should have managed expectations and over-delivered. ;)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Steezy said:

Because different opinion = troll.

Lol, gotta love internet logic.

Nah, people signing up to the forum at the very last minute, who cant even care enough to correctly write their complaint posts or put them in the correct subforums and do nothing but whine and complain = trolls.

If you have any problems with the game, write in the bugs / feature request subsections what your issues are. What exactly do you think whining in general discussion is going to do? None of us can do anything about it.

Theres not a single game that has ever been released bug free, if you pre order, or purchase a game on the day of release, its an absolute fact that it will contain bugs. If you dont like that, and if you cant be bothered to help in the correct manner to contribute towards fixing those bugs, then you should never pre order or buy games as soon as they are released.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @snippy @Michal @georgelappies and all the other trolls: Kindly shut your mouth and go cry in your mother's lap. I don't give a shizzle. Also, claiming to supposedly 'care' about a game you're bashing. Some nice 'fans' you all are. Please go get a life, a job, perhaps even a girlfriend (and complain to her instead of to us). Good riddance! :D
  • batmanis64batmanis64 Member Posts: 11
    OP, you have a legitimate complaint, since this is a paid product. In the back of my mind I figured this sort of result would happen since it was such a small dev team. In the end we can only hope that that finalized, polished version will eventually be available. I'm assuming the team has learned a lot from this release, and will only get better.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    This release sucks cause I can't up the game speed! :P
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Most people are probably like me on the bug-front, just finished the Nashkel mines and so far I haven't encountered a single bug.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Maybe the people with problems should first check their computer's settings and graphic card info before blaming everything on the Beamdog team.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    The only bug I've had was I couldn't leave a conversation and that was fixed by scrolling up then down, Enjoying the hell out of it right now.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    All right. I'm not as angry as @snippy, but have to agree with a lot of his points. The game is in far worse condition than I expected (or was it hoped?), and am disappointed by many aspects. I'm also encouraged by other aspects, so it comes down to which I focus on. Some people see one bug and obsess over it or whatnot, and get angry. Others break it down to 'can I live with this for now or not?' and decide that they can.

Neither position is more valid than the other and voiceing one doesn't make you a troll any more than voicing the other makes you a homer/fanboy.

The anger in some of the posts is understandable, as this is not a 'mod'. This is a purchased product. If a consumer is unhappy, they have equal right to go on about that as people that love the product have to laud it. Frankly, I'm sick of 'how can you be so mean' reactions. This is not the product of a volunteer, devoting time to making the game different; these are professionals (which should also be encouraging - professionals follow through and improve the product despite the maelstrom).

Everybody has their 'pet' gripes about the game and what they'd like fixed first. #1 on my list is to make the FPS in the .ini file work if you adjust it, as I would like a little more step in the strides of CHARNAME. Maybe others don't agree and think some other issue is more pressing; I'm not one to tell others what is, or isn't, important in such cases.

As for my good luck, waiting for patches, I'm not. They'll come when they come, but I'm going to play until it breaks the game. My only question is how I'll know when patches come out - will the launcher tell me? I've asked in other places, too, hoping to figure out how we'll get quick fixes.

Now, go and gather your party before venturing forth...
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175

As for my good luck, waiting for patches, I'm not. They'll come when they come, but I'm going to play until it breaks the game. My only question is how I'll know when patches come out - will the launcher tell me? I've asked in other places, too, hoping to figure out how we'll get quick fixes.

Now, go and gather your party before venturing forth...

Pretty much my attitude, too. The launcher is supposed to check for updates when you run it, and give you the option to install or not, then it closes and launches the game.

• GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I knew the bellyachers would come out in droves and nitpick at everything THEY feel is wrong. Here's a fact for you trolls.....technically this IS a new game as many of the enhancements are brand new and with the restrictions placed upon them by WotC I'm amazed that they got this much done. Since many of these enhancements are new you have to expect some bugs here and there still which the overhaul team have vehemently said they would correct and patch as they got them. Personally I knew there would be early bugs so i expect them.

Granted i only just d-loaded it after my trip to the cardiologist and so far i'm absolutely loving it. I don't understand why the op hates the intro, i thought it was great! It seemed to be made almost comic book style which is actually a nice variation of the intro from the original.

The only thing i've found so far i didn't like and i suspect that's yet another issue to do with bloody windows 7 and it's crappy treatment of games a whole is that i can't run the game without the beamdog client. When i do try to run it from the exe. in the beamdog folder or drag to my desktop, it tells me my exe is corrupt so i'll see if that's been an issue for anyone else and there may be a fix already. Now trolls, pay attention. Did i yell and scream and make accusations? No i did not. i'm presenting my issue like a normal person. So stow the vitriol, take the proper steps and check the bugs section as i will be doing in a min and see if those complaints of yours have been addressed yet and if not, post them.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Gilgalahad - You're way too sensible and reasonable here! I was hoping to see death threats, hope that the developers' CPU's melt, that fleas of 1,000,000 camels infest their armpits.