Skip to content

If this is an indication of Overhauls capabilities and quality assurance stay the hell away from BG3

124»

Comments

• SargeSarge Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2012
    I think people are not understanding that this is a iOS Release. In the sense the pc and mac version might just be a nice after-thought.

I think they will make more money and do better on mobile products. I also think that the only reason the rights holders let anyone touch this title is because it would be a re-release for the mobile platform which is a huge huge money maker.

Dont believe me? Look at the INTRO MOVIE. What does that remind you of? its reminds me of a iOS Game intro.

Regardless, i am happy. Whatever terrible bugs are stop people from playing will be fixed. I dont see the point of raging about it.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Messi said:

Even the original BG had patches. ;)

I got the original BG as soon as I could and never encountered any problems anywhere near this level so let's not go there.
    It was broken, ugly rubbish for me despite the mods and "fixes". I could not leave Candlekeep in the beginning no matter what... So this EE is a godsend.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Sarge said:

I think people are not understanding that this is a iOS Release. In the sense the pc and mac version might just be a nice after-thought.

I think they will make more money and do better on mobile products. I also think that the only reason the rights holders let anyone touch this title is because it would be a re-release for the mobile platform which is a huge huge money maker.

Dont believe me? Look at the INTRO MOVIE. What does that remind you of? its reminds me of a iOS Game intro.

Regardless, i am happy. Whatever terrible bugs are stop people from playing will be fixed. I dont see the point of raging about it.

I agree, iOS and mobile is where the real profit is. They can't afford to botch the iOS version, that is for sure.
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35
    I agree with the original poster on most things but their feelings could have been expressed a bit more tactful IMO. Eitherway I am not sure what has been enhance? When I think of Enhanced I usually think visually. Everything looks similar to me and the resolution is not even close to what I expected. Perhaps my expectations were misguided. I am curious to what pushed back the release date as well?

I was expecting
    1) Better Visuals (When I scroll in everything is bad blurry)
    2) LOTS of Custom Portraits (I want variety who wants to all look like the same charcter? That is what makes players unique to me. I am not sure how many stock portraits there are but seriously Overhaul use your talents and create some more artwork portraits)
    3) Low bug count. So far I have not seen many just a few glitches but I see where a lot of people are having serious problems.

I just hope this was not a way to get money for a future BG3 game. If that was the case I suggest to just start a Kickstarter campaign and I will give good honest money for that to be developed. So far this is not an Enhanced BG that I expected.

Thanks for reading

• cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2012
    I love the fact so many people are certain everything will be fixed.
    This was the state of the release AFTER a full development cycle AND a 2.5 month delay to "bug squash"

Assuming that the engine rework and various fixes take about as much effort as making a game from scratch including designing and coding a new engine the state of release is unacceptable. They didnt need to write the game or any of the work required when designing a game as its all there already (apart from the VERY MINOR additions of new NPCs and quest chain). ALL they needed to do was essentially fix what was broken and rewrite the engine. They couldnt even manage that.

They have proven that they are incapable of delivering a usable and reliable product when they had considerably less work to so than the original development team that made Baldur's Gate originally (a team not dissimilar in size and a dev cycle SHORTER than this one).

There will be patched sure, but this game will NEVER fulfill the promises made, and will never even match the original release. Overhaul have failed. Its that simple. I REALLY wanted this to be a good revamped version of one of my top 5 games of all time, instead we get a buggy poorly coded game that actually removed core game mechanics (scripting, AI updates, pathfinding,etc). Didnt include basic updates like resolution choices, font options, frame rate/AI update options, or a resizable/customizable UI. They managed to create bugs, whilst still not fixing some original ones, and have somehow made the engine LESS reliable.

I have no ill will to the team, but this game should not have been released in this state, and they only had one job to do and they couldnt even do that. It was their own idea too. They werent hired by a publisher to rework the game they instigated it.

I am so glad I didnt preorder this. Frankly I hope they seriously rethink their priorities before even looking at the BG2 code.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Dashiva said:

tarasis said:

In my case I've been gaming for about 30 years, since the Spectrum 16k, and it has got steadily worse over time as games get more complex. (And as you mention hardware configurations) However just because software being released in a buggy state has become the norm it certainly doesn't mean we should just sit back and accept it.

Yes thankfully we have the internet so we can get patches but remember the days when that didn't exist? You had a bug in the game, you were stuffed unless (and this only happened a few times - the one I remember most was Frontier: First Encounters which was in a dreadful state in its original release) the publisher happened to offer a patch floppy disc which you had to write (not email) off for. Also you aren't always guaranteed a patch, the first machine I tried to play my newly bought copy of Ghostbusters wouldn't work on my computer as it had too many GFX resolutions available and this happened to other people too, Atari shafted the developer / release and did nothing to fix the situation.

We don't buy other products (books, videos, cars, CD, DVD, furniture) and expect they'll be imperfect to start with and that they'll be fixed / tweaked over time. Why on earth is it okay for software?

In this specific case with BG:EE its already been acknowledged that some of the bugs encountered in the last 24 hours were already known about. In which case the release should have been delayed till they were fixed, plain and simple.

You're absolutely correct. The more complex games get, the more buggy they get. It is as close to impossible as it gets to release a bug-free game nowadays. And you're absolutely right, you shouldn't just sit back and accept it and developers doesn't expect you to either. That's why they have the bug forums. What they do expect however is to people to behave like normal people and provide the feedback in a constructive and polite manner. I don't know how big this studio is, but as far as I know it's a pretty small one with maybe 10 QA testers or so. Even if they had a beta running and added more testers, it is not even remotely possible to be able to identify all bugs. It's a big difference between having 100 testers and 100,000 players.

To act like the OP and some others in this thread is ridiculous and I seriously doubt anyone would be acting like this if they weren't behind the protection of a screen. Is the game buggy? Sure, and it's expected but that doesn't give people any right to behave like douchebags. The developers love this game as much, if not more, as everyone here. They've more than likely put their heart and souls into making this game to make it the best possible experience and to have people coming in here and pouring all kinds of shit and asshattery on them is nothing short of appalling and horrible.

It is understandable that people get upset and annoyed, but it doesn't hurt to tone it down a bit and act like a grown up.
    ^ 100% Agreed. People just don't have any manners nor any patience anymore nowadays. They want to get their little game delivered to them on a golden cushion. I wonder how many of these people who are complaining have ever gone through the trouble of starting up a business of their own.
  • hadrialhadrial Member Posts: 3
    cryocore said:

I love the fact so many people are certain everything will be fixed.
    This was the state of the release AFTER a full development cycle AND a 2.5 month delay to "bug squash"

Assuming that the engine rework and various fixes take about as much effort as making a game from scratch including designing and coding a new engine the state of release is unacceptable. They didnt need to write the game or any of the work required when designing a game as its all there already (apart from the VERY MINOR additions of new NPCs and quest chain). ALL they needed to do was essentially fix what was broken and rewrite the engine. They couldnt even manage that.

They have proven that they are incapable of delivering a usable and reliable product when they had considerably less work to so than the original development team that made Baldur's Gate originally (a team not dissimilar in size and a dev cycle SHORTER than this one).

There will be patched sure, but this game will NEVER fulfill the promises made, and will never even match the original release. Overhaul have failed. Its that simple. I REALLY wanted this to be a good revamped version of one of my top 5 games of all time, instead we get a buggy poorly coded game that actually removed core game mechanics (scripting, AI updates, pathfinding,etc). Didnt include basic updates like resolution choices, font options, frame rate/AI update options, or a resizable/customizable UI. They managed to create bugs, whilst still not fixing some original ones, and have somehow made the engine LESS reliable.

I have no ill will to the team, but this game should not have been released in this state, and they only had one job to do and they couldnt even do that. It was their own idea too. They werent hired by a publisher to rework the game they instigated it.

I am so glad I didnt preorder this. Frankly I hope they seriously rethink their priorities before even looking at the BG2 code.

I can almost feel the butthurt from your post. I hate being a suckup, I mean my game is still downloading at 150kb/s but the truth is no game on release doesn't have bugs. Anybody remember tortanic? aion? WoW? L4d? lotro? d3? torchlight? s.t.a.l.k.e.r? skyrim? the dev team will have a patch released soon (soon being 1-1.5 months at the latest hopefully).

Yea it sucks, but posting hate doesn't help anybody. Post what bugs and problems you have and wait. There are so many different pc rigs out there it's almost impossible to make a game seamlessly compatible with all of them on release.

Once my game finishes downloading and I play I may be back in this thread to eat my words though :)
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    There are good and bad. To write off Overhaul is too soon to say right now. I want to see if they will listen to us and fix up the things that we are concerned about. I personally think the UI is very weak. Why not make it look more refined like in IWD 2?
  • zwadekzwadek Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2012
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud how can you speak about patience, when the game was already delayed? I agree, that complaining about additional 1 hour delay after release hour is an exaggeration, but the game was delayed two and half month. And we were told about delay _four_ days before its release date. If it would be some minor bugs it would be no big deal, but many players complaining about their game not starting, crashing after character creation or totally unplayable because of performance issues. Why let game out at 28th Nov, when the game was initialy delayed at 30th Nov. The game should never be released at its current condition.
    I would not speak about lack of patience, rather about not making obligations which you can't fulfil.