Skip to content

FXAA should be off!

Just wanted to say that i had problem with the whole game being blurry and all. I turned off FXAA in my nvidia control panel and it became awesome.

Comments

• SilverFoxySilverFoxy Member Posts: 3
    up!
  • AbsyntheAbsynthe Member Posts: 3
    Thank you!!!
    Been puzzling over this since yesterday, I'll give it a shot when I get home.
  • KaldaienKaldaien Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Wow, nvidia has driver-level FXAA? You'd think they'd learn from ATI's stupid driver-level MLAA (morphological AA), that all it does is makes user interfaces blurry :)

I'm surprised this issue doesn't affect other games. FXAA is a shader based post-process, it treats EVERYTHING on the screen the same, whether it's text, rasterized bitmaps, or polygon edges (the later being the only thing that needs anti-aliasing); morphological AA has the same problem.

Really the only novel form of new AA I have seen at the driver level is edge-detection based AA, which selectively increases the number of MSAA / SSAA samples on polygon edges.

Long story short, it's probably a good idea not to use driver-level FXAA or MLAA at all except for a select few games where it does not affect the user interface. Games that use FXAA usually run it as a separate post-pass, on everything BUT the user interface - but when the driver does FXAA it has no choice but to apply it to everything.
  • SilverFoxySilverFoxy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the explanation! Gonna turn it off then..yeah, it's pretty strange that i don't have this issue in skyrim and even old games like fallout