Skip to content

Where should I invest my EXTRA attribute points?

I'm somewhat new to D&D games in general, but I just created a character in BG1 without any of the mods.

I created a multi-class Ranger/Cleric and rolled for a few minutes. After I got a 97, I looked at a few guides and forums for the class and discovered that this class has an overpowering bug and that I was lucky to get such a great roll.

If I like the game enough, I might continue through the expansion and BG2 with this character. Otherwise, I may create different classes to enjoy the games with a little more variety.

Anyway, none of the guides really say what secondary attributes would be important if the main ones were maxed with a lot of extras left over. I know to max DEX, WIS, & CON, but after that I still have 43 points to spend. I had to read up on what the / meant for STR and I get it, but what I don't understand is if I do not max STR before the start of the game, does the extra /XX come into play later when my STR is pushed to 18 with an item? Or do I need to max STR at the character creation in order to take advantage of the /XX?

I ask because with the 97 points I rolled I can have 18/83 STR.

With all this in mind, how should I allocate my extra points between STR, INT, & CHA ?
If I were to decide now (from what I've learned today) I would do

STR 18/83
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 18
CHA 15

but then I wonder if I should be maxing CHA with this many pts.
Please respond ASAP I have the game open now and I'm dying to start playing!

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Wow nice roll. And your strength is good. At one point in the game you're able to raise you strength by 1 point, which will bring it to 19, making the /XX irrelevant in the long run anyways. Overall I think that's a good way to distribute them. If you do end up importing to BG2, having a INT of 11 instead of 10 will provide a slight advantage when facing a certain kind of enemy, so if you want you could move one point from CHA to INT, but it's pretty minor.
  • pwat1284pwat1284 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you!

I'ts actually my 3rd character I'm starting today.

I did a ranger/cleric earlier and actually got a similar total-point roll (again in only a few minutes). Unfortunately, before I learned that the /XX is always there but only shows when at 18, I effed it up by doing only 15 STR, 13 INT, 14 CHA.

I'm not sure if it's easier to get higher rolls with this class or what because I rolled with a fighter for longer than both ranger/clerics put together but could rarely and barely get over 90.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    pwat1284 said:

Thank you!

I'ts actually my 3rd character I'm starting today.

I did a ranger/cleric earlier and actually got a similar total-point roll (again in only a few minutes). Unfortunately, before I learned that the /XX is always there but only shows when at 18, I effed it up by doing only 15 STR, 13 INT, 14 CHA.

I'm not sure if it's easier to get higher rolls with this class or what because I rolled with a fighter for longer than both ranger/clerics put together but could rarely and barely get over 90.

Yeah it's because the game automatically re-rolls any stat thats below the minimum value for the chosen race/class. I think for fighter only STR (and maybe CON) have high-ish minimum requirements, so all the other stats are free to end up as low as the roll goes, so you end up with lower point totals on average.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    I'm pretty sure some classes just roll higher stats. But that is a really good roll, never gotten that high and I've rolled for hours.
    TJ_Hooker said:

pwat1284 said:

Yeah it's because the game automatically re-rolls any stat thats below the minimum value for the chosen race/class. I think for fighter only STR (and maybe CON) have high-ish minimum requirements, so all the other stats are free to end up as low as the roll goes, so you end up with lower point totals on average.

Ah that makes sense!
    Thanks!
    begolf00 said:

I'm pretty sure some classes just roll higher stats. But that is a really good roll, never gotten that high and I've rolled for hours.

Well I'm starting to feel that I should take advantage of my luck here and import this character (^_^)