Skip to content

Katana vendor...where art thou?

So currently the only Katana vendor I have found was Winthrop in Candlekeep, but unfortunately I couldn't afford the steep 732 gold price at that time. Has anyone found a vendor for regular Katanas elsewhere? Spoil meeee.

Comments

• Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    I'm still looking as well, but I've only gotten as far as Beregost after leaving the Friendly Arm.
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    Nothing in Beregost. I'll investigate later today and if I find it before you do, I'll post here.
  • WoozWooz Member Posts: 32
    cool. I had to log off for the night, i'm only slightly beyond beregost...i'm hoping nashkel has some...(although there's no metal there...so :P)
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    I will do the same. Right now I'm trying to go back to editing my upcoming novel, but I so feel the pull of BG:EE, it's hard to concentrate. Shame on you, Overhaul Games! LOL
  • GalenGalen Member Posts: 11
    I understand they are rare in BG2, so in BG they would probably be super-rare. My guess is either they will be in the city of Baldur's Gate or perhaps at Thunderhammer's smithy. If Winthrop is the only vendor near the beginning/middle of the game, then it's nearly a complete waste to even put points in katanas. That makes me a sad panda. I certainly hope this is not the case.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, the game does warn you when picking Katanas as your weapon proficiency :P
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I think the price in Candlekeep is right, though, these are meant to be finely made and rare exotic sowrds.
  • GalenGalen Member Posts: 11
    I can hear the game laughing now. "Come on...pick them, you know you want to."

"Oh look, Winthrop has one...for 700gp. F**K!"
    I think a halfling thief that puts all points into open locks can open that difficult chest in the Inn in Candlekeep that has a valuable reward, which might help some...
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521

I wish there had been a similar warning for scimitars. :) Haven't found a second vendor yet. I'm playing a fighter that will dual to druid, so it hasn't gotten desperate yet (using ninja-to right now), but it is a little disappointing from a character concept POV. I broke two fighting reevor's rats. I had to flee from the remaining rats because I couldn't kill them. Depressing.

On a related note, can Ninja-to break? Haven't had it happen yet. Small sample size, sure.

I wish there had been a similar warning for scimitars. :) Haven't found a second vendor yet.
    Well I know a vendor that sold them in BG1....

The Vendor on the Durlag's Tower map, not magic ones, though (you don't have to go near the tower and all its badness, though)

I doubt they will make me wait until Baldur's Gate for a non-magical Katana...also, Thunderhammer smithy does not carry it. Let me know when you find one guys!
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Just kill a couple Watchers in Candlekeep. You can sell the Plate Armor for 300 GP per. As long as you kill them without being seen by any of the Tutors, you won't lose any reputation, or be considered hostile.

Boom, you can afford a katana.
    I'm well beyond that point now, but I suppose that's a decent idea. I am a neutral evil fighter/thief so that would be viable, but I was more inclined to try and steal from Winthrop (to no avail).
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There is a magical katana +1 at the bottom floor of cloakwood mines.
    Some vendors in bg also sell them
    I was hoping I would be able to find one much sooner than cloakwood...d'oh.
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    A thief can amass 1k or more of gold before leaving Candlekeep so long as you have 60% or more (ish) in open locks; go grab the star saphire from the room above Winthrops bar and you're all set :)
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521

I wish there had been a similar warning for scimitars. :) Haven't found a second vendor yet.
    Well I know a vendor that sold them in BG1....

The Vendor on the Durlag's Tower map, not magic ones, though (you don't have to go near the tower and all its badness, though)

Thanks, I'd forgotten that. Much appreciated.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    There is a solution you may consider cheating, but it's an option for those who do not mind; dump your save game into the mpsave folder (make the folder if it isn't there) import your character that has a katana into a free party slot, give katana to main character, delete the imported character, save the game and dump it back into the regular save folder.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I'm not familiar with the bg game, but arent potions of master thievery available? Just chunk 3 and start robbing the stores. You can always reload if you fail the first few tries.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    bbear said:

I'm not familiar with the bg game, but arent potions of master thievery available? Just chunk 3 and start robbing the stores. You can always reload if you fail the first few tries.

What in the world are you even talking about?
    I'm not interested in cheating, and I can get by using weapons I'm not proficient with until Cloakwood.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2012
    bbear said:

I don't think that will be possible in Candlekeep due to a lack of the potions. The problem is finding a seller after Candlekeep.
    BTW does anyone find it strange that the Ninja-To available in Candlekeep is cheaper than the scimitar, but does the same damage and is faster (4 versus 5)? Also, it's cheaper than Wakizashi, which although faster (3) only does piercing damage, which is usually not as effective as the slashing damage of the Ninja-To. Am not really complaining (I bought a Ninja-to in Candlekeep for the hell of it, as thought might be difficult to get later), but it does seem a little odd.
  • DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    Keep in mind that the katana (and other Eastern weapons) is an oriental weapon and is very common in Kara-Tur. In Faerun (Western part of the main continent of Abeir Toril) the katana is ultra rare. When you created your character and picked the katana weapon proficiency, you did already get a warning that these weapons were rare...

BTW does anyone find it strange that the Ninja-To available in Candlekeep is cheaper than the scimitar, but does the same damage and is faster (4 versus 5)? Also, it's cheaper than Wakizashi, which although faster (3) only does piercing damage, which is usually not as effective as the slashing damage of the Ninja-To. Am not really complaining (I bought a Ninja-to in Candlekeep for the hell of it, as thought might be difficult to get later), but it does seem a little odd.

Actually, it looks like piercing can be better in some situations, though some enemies are immune: Slashing gets a penalty to studded, chain, plate and full plate armor. Piercing gets a bonus to leather armor and a penalty to studded, splint and full plate armor. Bludgeoning gets a bonus to chain armor and a penalty to splint.
    DemiGoth said:

Keep in mind that the katana (and other Eastern weapons) is an oriental weapon and is very common in Kara-Tur. In Faerun (Western part of the main continent of Abeir Toril) the katana is ultra rare. When you created your character and picked the katana weapon proficiency, you did already get a warning that these weapons were rare...

I understood that they would be rare going into it; I just find it strange that the only vendor for non-magical katanas is Winthrop and somebody in Baldur's Gate. I am fine with it. I've already managed to get a point in Long Bow and I am just using Varscona to backstab until I find something else.
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    I've actually found many katanas on my way, to the point that they seem so ordinary that I don't even pay attention to them. Don't you get some from the Dorn encounter?
    No....those are wakizashi. Are you sure you've seen many katanas?
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    No, I think I'm getting all these wakizashis, katanas and ninja-to's confused with each other. I just stick to two-handers.