Skip to content

HELP: ATI X1300 PRO - BACKGROUND IS BLACK

as graphic card I've got an ATI X1300 PRO. I see everithing properly but the BACKGROUND IS BLACK...

Any tips ? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Can you be more specific? What do you mean when you say you can see everything, but the background is black?
  • Fr3nzFr3nz Member Posts: 67
    Game starts normally, I can choose characte and so on...but when Candelkeep should appear I got the main screen black, meanwhyle side bars like party, options are there and working properly...
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    Drivers?
    Drivers - finally found even some problems occourred with Vsta / Ati Drivers. Thanks
  • rafnowrafnow Member Posts: 8
    Fr3nz said:

Drivers - finally found even some problems occourred with Vsta / Ati Drivers. Thanks

Does this mean you resolved the problem? I'm having the same issue (mostly black screen with just a bit of the border interface in place) and would love to know how you fixed it.

I updated my drivers and reinstalled through the Beamdog client last night (I had used the stand-alone installer previously). I also ran the update this morning (not sure what was in that). But in any case it now works (the black background is gone).
    Sorry for late reply. I just removed ATI drivers cleaned up registry with an utility, so installed the new one from AMD website and the game at thw timebeing is running even a lack of time didn t allow me to check deeper out from Candelkeep...
  • DantesDantes Member Posts: 15
    I have exactly the same problem with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 and Vista. Very frustrating
    Dantes: like I mentioned above, I did three things: (1) updated drivers, (2) reinstalled from Beamdog (not the stand-alone installer), and (3) ran the update from this morning. I don't know which of these three fixed the problem, but one of them did!
    OK so I have no clue how to update the driver. Went on the AMD site couldn't find a upate for ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.
    I just had used the stand alone to download. I just uninstalled and will try reinstall via Beamdog.
    We'll see...
    Thanks
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited December 2012
    Dantes said:

OK so I have no clue how to update the driver. Went on the AMD site couldn't find a upate for ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.
    I just had used the stand alone to download. I just uninstalled and will try reinstall via Beamdog.
    We'll see...
    Thanks

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/258626-updating-video-card-drivers-winxp-vista-read-before-posting.html
    So reinstalled via Beamdog and still same issue.
    Zeckul - I'm trying to follow the link you gave, but I just cant find ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 from the link on that page.
    Dantes said:

So reinstalled via Beamdog and still same issue.
    Zeckul - I'm trying to follow the link you gave, but I just cant find ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 from the link on that page.

They're right there, there's a link for Windows XP and a link for Windows Vista and above which has mobility drivers on the right side of the page.

edited December 2012
    You mean the link in this section?

WINDOWS VISTA DRIVERS/INTEGRATED ATI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

1. Download the display driver from ATI here.
    2. Double-click the installer and let the installation fail - all we needed to do was extract the files.
    3. Go into the Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters by clicking the "+" sign. Right-click on your adapter (there should only be one) and click "Update Driver Software." Install the driver of your choice and do not let Windows search for it. Click "Have Disk" and go into the folder where the drivers were extracted - the default location is C:\ATI\Support\[driver name - something like "7-1_xp_dd_40211"]2KXP_INF.
    4. Choose the "_CX" .INF file and click OK.
    5. Scroll down and find your graphics card.
    6. Finish the installation by following the wizard.

Man I must be some kind of PC challenged person because for the life of me I can't seem to find the one corresponding to mine on there (even after downloading their auto detect gadget).

Thanks for your help in any case, don't think I don't appreciate it, its just a frustrating day...

EDIT: seems like I have to go to DELL to get this since I've a laptop... To be continued...
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

On the right:
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ Notebook Drivers
    64 bit Windows 7/Vista
    32 bit Windows 7/Vista
    So I tried to download the AMD catalyst mobility widget thing, but all I get is a screen that says

"The AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"

I've no idea what that means, but there it is.

On a side note, I've also tried going directly to the DELL website (I have an Inspiron E1705), but I just can't seem to find a ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 driver anywhere.

In any case, this is going way beyond anything I'd want from a technical knowledge point of view and I've never had this sort of issue before with any game, so I'll wait until the good people who worked on the game develop some type of patch or fix, rather than fiddle too much with my machine without really knowing what I'm doing and risking to mess it up a major way. Any game I have purchased in the past has always run fine so long the specs were met (and still do), so I really don't know what the deal is with this.

I mean when you purchase a new game and your machine meets the system requirements, is it really too much to ask to be able to play it without delving through the obscure regions in your hardware?

Anyways, thanks for your tips Zeckul, really appreciate you going through the trouble to reply
    @Dantes not many games use OpenGL these days. Anyway, what's your laptop?
    edited December 2012
    DELL Inspiron E1705
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
    RAM: 2GB
    System type: 32 bit operating system
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Using Windows Vista Home Premium (I hate windows vista)
    Service pack 2

Or here's the copy paste from the performance info and tools window:

System
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model MP061
    Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 91 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 26 GB Free (81 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 6 GB Free (10 GB Total)
    Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    Total available graphics memory 895 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 767 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.360.0.0
    Primary monitor resolution 1600x1200
    DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
    Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

EDIT
    I also downloaded OpenGL Extension Viewer and the info from the summary page for OPENGL is:
    OpenGL:
    Version 2.0
    Driver version: 7.01.01.622
    Catalyst 8.36
    15-Mar-07
    Post edited by Dantes on
    I'm not sure there's actually any newer driver for that video card. Did you try everything I listed under "The game doesn’t start or crashes on startup" here? http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8405/read-before-posting-master-technical-faq Perhaps try some other things from related problems as well if that doesn't help.
    I tried everything I can think of and all the tips in the forums, like going into the AMD Catalyst management thing and changing all the settings, rechanging, trying different compatibility modes from the Baldur's Gate properties, as an administrator, as not, toyed with all the 3D options, etc... I've tried all these combinations from the stand-alone download, and also from the Beamdog one.

Since there doesn't seem to be new drivers as you indicate, I suppose I'm out of options for now.

I'm sure others using the same graphics card (albeit not that many since it's pretty ancient) will have the same issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue extended to certain families of AMD/ATI cards more generally speaking.

So I guess I'll take a look at these forums every now and then to see if there's something new to try, and/or hope for the tech folks that created the game to find some type of fix.