Skip to content

A worry & A Big Thanks

I'm really sad about the flood of trolls that arrived with the BGEE release. they've changed these forums and make it look dangerously similar to the forums of the evil-duo companies B&B . I really wish for people to be more constructive about their issues, it is more helpful to first search the forums for a possible solution of the problem and if that fails, I suggest posting it on the bugs forum and/or to the Overhaul team for help, General forums =/= "I feel offended" forums, that should be clear.

That being said, I give my big thanks to Overhaul team as I'm enjoying BGEE using one of the awesome Manley's portraits dating Neera and enjoying the new NPCs greatly :). Thanks and to all of you who enjoy the game please come out and let's flood this forums! I'm 100% certain there are many of us :).

Comments

• VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    It's a great game, no doubt, but I think people are geniunely entitled to be angry when an "enhanced edition" purporting to claim a smoother, cleaner experience compaired to all previous iterations as its primary selling point (in adition to added origonal content) just flat out fails to work on an entire range of chip-sets. I'm lucky; I payed $20 and got a game that works smoothly, albiet a little bit buggy. But I'd be pissed too if the game I payed money for was just flat-out incompatible with my run-of-the-mill hardware :(

That being said, I have faith in the developers overall, and I think, for the most part, criticism has been pretty restrained and constructive all things considered.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Well let me put it this way.. Another delay wouldnt have been the right thing to do . So rather out now, and then let, the players, the Mods and dev´s find the bugs..(just like any other game)
    Another delay would have cost a rampage af whining etc etc...Possible something worse...
    Ill bet that in 2 weeks time most of the probs+ is gone ;) and were on to BG II

Have a nice weekend !
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    noooo, this game is horrible. Why, because over 1000 people have died and not been seen because they've spent the last 3 days playing it's awesomeness without taking a break......horrible, terrible, incredible game.

Trent should be ashamed that he did a good job.

All sarcasm aside, I was reading some posts on trent's twitter, and he has a graph under his 'rants' about how hype is a mountain, release is falling off the mountain and slamming into the ground (people complaiing) and with bug fixes/extra content/etc, it slowly plateau's to about 1/3 of what the pre release hype.

Basically, he expected this. I think being in his shoes, you have to have thick skin, but i love the game so far, and it's better then i hoped and expected. Although, neera sounds a bit......needy.
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    I would reccomend looking up the definition of what a 'troll' is. Mabey those of us who got screwed over are a bit over the top sometimes, but that's always going to exist on the internet.

The bottom line is we have been waiting to play this game for a long time and the fact that it's not working for one reason or another makes us want to vent our rage.
    Neera sounds a bit/alot like Felicia Day.

Which is *fine* in my books ;)

But in all seriousness, I am so glad this has happened and I'd like to support the community and the project as much as I can. Well done Trent and Team, I hope this all pays off for you :)
    @jaysama what was the troll comment about?
    @bytebrain

i know it sounds crazy, but i almost wish i would have had problems at release to be able to help people having issues. I've always enjoyed trouble shooting problems, but no such luck. I know it's odd, but i don't quite enjoy the game fully yet because i haven't had to tweak it.
    I know Bytebrain, but the subtle difference here is that we're not dealing with a "new" game in the traditional sense; if this was BG's first ever release, I would expect and be pefectly fine with the bugs that it would no doubt get shipped with. However, my understanding of the goal for BG:EE was to make the game demonstratably *less* buggy and easier to handle for anyone who wanted to experience it; the fact that there appears to be some geniunely nasty hardware issues that have cropped up as a *result* of Overhaul getting "under the hood" strikes me as a bit of an own goal, and they do need a slap on the wrist for it, really.

That being said, I was just looking through what they did manage to fix and you can't accuse them of not being throrough enough in rooting out the thousand-and-one niggling problems that we've had to put up with for the last twenty years. Kudos to them for that.

I agree, though, on the nature of people venting there rage/spleens here on the forums. But in the heat of the moment I guess it's just natural for some to make an account and post angry splutterings first, and investigate properly *later* :(
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited November 2012
    @Bytebrain Absolutely, the fact is that people should let their posts flow through other parts of their brain than limbic system, it's been already said in other threads, it takes tremendous time and hard work to polish the 15 years old code and Overhaul is a company consisting of less than 10 people, it took them less than a year and it's been said many times in official and unofficial posts that the flow of DLC and updates will be..well flowing :).

I tell you this, even if this game wouldn't even start on my PC without a patch, I'd be happy to give them my $17 for future projects, DLCs and updates.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Vissious said:

I know Bytebrain, but the subtle difference here is that we're not dealing with a "new" game in the traditional sense; if this was BG's first ever release, I would expect and be pefectly fine with the bugs that it would no doubt get shipped with. However, my understanding of the goal for BG:EE was to make the game demonstratably *less* buggy and easier to handle for anyone who wanted to experience it; the fact that there appears to be some geniunely nasty hardware issues that have cropped up as a *result* of Overhaul getting "under the hood" strikes me as a bit of an own goal, and they do need a slap on the wrist for it, really.

That being said, I was just looking through what they did manage to fix and you can't accuse them of not being throrough enough in rooting out the thousand-and-one niggling problems that we've had to put up with for the last twenty years. Kudos to them for that.

I agree, though, on the nature of people venting there rage/spleens here on the forums. But in the heat of the moment I guess it's just natural for some to make an account and post angry splutterings first, and investigate properly *later* :(

Yeah, you're probably right about human behavior there. :)

I still think the hardware and driver issues were unavoidable, the Devs simply can't have the game tested on such an array of combinations of drivers and hardware.

Also, in a way, and according to many interviews with Trent Oster, working with an old game, written for a completely different OS and, now, archaic hardware, is harder than writing your own game engine.

There are other bugs mentioned, not hardware but game related they should have caught, but hey, this is a huge game.

Bjjorick said:

@bytebrain

i know it sounds crazy, but i almost wish i would have had problems at release to be able to help people having issues. I've always enjoyed trouble shooting problems, but no such luck. I know it's odd, but i don't quite enjoy the game fully yet because i haven't had to tweak it.

Lol. :)
    Fredjo said:

@Bytebrain Absolutely, the fact is that people should let their posts flow through other parts of their brain than limbic system, it's been already said in other threads, it takes tremendous time and hard work to polish the 15 years old code and Overhaul is a company consisting of less than 10 people, it took them less than a year and it's been said many times in official and unofficial posts that the flow of DLC and updates will be..well flowing :).

I tell you this, even if this game wouldn't even start on my PC without a patch, I'd be happy to give them my $17 for future projects, DLCs and updates.

I would have been impatient and frustrated if I couldn't get it to work, but I wouldn't automatically hate the developers.
    :P