Skip to content

Portrait dimensions for BG:EE

2»

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Lol, I think I'l just go to sleep now and leave the rest to you.
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming really. I still have questions. Like asked before, If we want to override the default npc pics, do we use a dif folder? and I believe that the naming convention was NXXXXXXL.bmp or something like that. Little help there?
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I have installed the game, there is no folder in documents, will it not appear until I have actually played the game?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You'll have to create the folder yourself. Just call it "Portraits" and put the .bmp files in there.

The naming convention described in the manual is the same (it's just the dimensions that have changed).
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    Thank you, but I meant the Baldurs Gate:EE folder does not yet exist, I was assuming this was the case because the game is installed but cant actually be run yet, but I wanted to make sure.
    Oh. Yes, that's probably why. :)
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    I really do hope they get around to implementing easy custom portraits. I know Trent said this on twitter:
    @TrentOster
    "We want to support using iPad images for portraits, but at the moment, that is on the post-release work pile."

So hopefully it makes it to at least tablets in the future.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Aosaw said:

You'll have to create the folder yourself. Just call it "Portraits" and put the .bmp files in there.

The naming convention described in the manual is the same (it's just the dimensions that have changed).

So we name the medium size (169x266) 'xxxxxxxL' and the small size (54x84) 'xxxxxxxS' ?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Freche No, you name the medium size xxxxxxxM and the large size xxxxxxxL. However, the picture displayed in the Record screen is actually the M size.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Ok, goodie goodie. Then I should be set for release :D
    Ohh, yes one more thing I have to ask. If I want to replace an NPC portrait where should I put those files? iirc it was in an Override folder for the original BG, but looks like BGEE might have it differently.
    You can put them in either Data\override or Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Portraits.
    @Jalily Oh, we can put them in override too? That's handy.

Or is the override folder for making new portraits for existing NPCs?
    Both locations work for any portrait. Just tested it.
  • ThorsonWThorsonW Member Posts: 8
    The new sizes are either too big or too small, and I really don't see where this large portrait comes into play. Am I missing something here..?
    The "large" portrait is used in the epilogue at the end of ToB. For CharName portraits, just use M and S sizes.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    ThorsonW said:

The new sizes are either too big or too small, and I really don't see where this large portrait comes into play. Am I missing something here..?

I thought the same thing. For whatever reason, when selecting them, they looked a bit too small, with extra space around the picture. However, upon hitting ok, they are appropriately sized and centered.

It could be an issue with the GUI being scaled to fit your screen but the portrait displaying actual size. I'll do some investigating.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    How do I use those pictures? I don't see them in game...
    Make sure you're following these directions (which I wrote the other day):

"You can also create an entirely new portrait and select it by opening the "CUSTOM" menu. To import a custom portrait, create a directory called "portraits" in the directory where your local game files are stored (under Documents\Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition), and add any custom portraits to that directory.

The dimensions and naming format required for player portraits are:
    - XXXXXXXS.bmp (54x84, 200 dpi)
    - XXXXXXXM.bmp (169x266, 200 dpi)
    - XXXXXXXL.bmp (210x330, 200 dpi)"

You can also apparently put them in the override folder (without the portraits directory), but I haven't tried that yet.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Thanks.
    I put them in wrong direction.

Now it all works.
  • LordLeviathanLordLeviathan Member Posts: 97
    I have custom portrait but I have to know how to adjust it to the right size.

Can someone help me?
  • greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    Hi, are the new portrait dimensions correct? I made portraits using the new dimensions given, but when I use them there's a noticeable margin on the bottom and right of the frame of about 5-10 pixels that can actually be filled up when i use a bigger picture instead. Is that intended? Could someone please double-check the portrait dimensions? Thanks!
  • greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    Hi, just checked it one more time. The portrait dimensions are correct; it fits the frames in-game. It's just that the portrait frames when selecting a custom portrait in character creation aren't drawn correctly so the M and S portraits don't fit. Sorry about that.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Aosaw said:

@Tanthalas I think you and I should decide ahead of time who's going to answer what questions. I think that's the third time today we've ninja'd each other. ;)

@Aosaw: Then put more levels in Hide in Shadows/Move Silently to get 'one up' on @Tanthalas