Skip to content

Full Race/Class unlocks - in the spirit of roleplay.

Having played Neverwinter Nights and Pathfinder (pen & paper) for so many years, I just can't get used to AD&D's limitations on classes and races. Is there any chance we'll see classes being unlocked for all races somewhere down the road? If only for the sake of roleplay over ruleset accuracy?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Should be quite easily moddable if someone has the inclination
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Are you sure with that?

Gnome berserk, Half-ork paladin...
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    Reversely, have you never heard of a dwarf who likes music? The old ruleset is incredibly restrictive as soon as you pick anything that isn't Human.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    In 3e humans get extra skill points and feats. AD&D doesn't have either of those things. So the only way to balance humans with other races is to give them unlimited class selection as well as the ability to dual class. If all classes were unlocked and you didn't want to dual class there would be no (non-roleplay) reason to play as a human.

Be thankful they didn't include the PnP advancement resctrictions. 'Oh, you wanted to be different and made a halfling fighter? You can't advance beyond level 8' (or maybe 9: I don't have my book in front of me).
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    I never played AD&D so I can't comment on balance - but this is primarily a singleplayer (or Co-Op) game so it should ultimately be up to the player(s) how they want to go about the issue of non-vanilla balance. I wouldn't mind attempts at balancing to counteract the bigger selection - but I dislike being restricted to... is it 3 or 4? classes at most if you're a non human. It isn't really theme appropriate imo.